Toyota needs to be more like Ford?

http://money.cnn.com/2010/04/14/autos/toyota_management.fortune/index.htm

Indeed, if Toyota's North American operations were pushed together, the company would resemble one of the Detroit Three, with engineering, manufacturing, purchasing, and sales all housed under one roof. If any of those functions detected, say, a quality problem with an accelerator pedal, it could quickly relay the news and work with the others until a solution was found.

That kind of functional integration is one of the big reasons for the current success at Ford (F, Fortune 500). CEO Alan Mulally holds a meeting on Thursdays at which all of his top managers attend and at which they share information.

At Toyota, by comparison, engineering, manufacturing, purchasing, and sales report back to headquarters in Japan. Only there is the information disseminated among regions and functions.

Automotive journalists and band-wagons . . . Toyota is still an 800-pound gorilla, and they will fix their problems. And it's refreshing that Fields et al are aware that Ford is still just out of intensive-care.

But, how things change in 5 years. Think of how Ford was regarded by the bizpress in 2005. Logging into BON Forums was an exercise in swatting the negatards. :)

Automotive journalists and band-wagons . . . Toyota is still an 800-pound gorilla, and they will fix their problems. And it's refreshing that Fields et al are aware that Ford is still just out of intensive-care.

But, how things change in 5 years. Think of how Ford was regarded by the bizpress in 2005. Logging into BON Forums was an exercise in swatting the negatards. :)

correction Ed...Toyota is now a 650lb gorilla...stress related weight loss....

Geesh; automotive press is like Jekyll and Hyde.

Yes, Toyota has horrible defect reporting mechanisms.

But Mulally didn't fix Ford's defect reporting mechanisms, and they don't involve his Thursday morning meetings.

Padilla and others led the push to streamline data flow from customers and dealers to factories, where engineering & plant personnel task forces are assigned to investigate.

The process is, by now, automatic--or should be. There should be no need for a company officer or a group VP to be even involved in the daily flow of information to these working groups.

Just the press rewriting history.

Look at the VPs at Ford and compare them to those at GM

and tell me which ones really know what they're doing.

Ford has a plan and they stuck to it for 4 years now,

GM is making theirs up on the fly - and it shows...

As for Toyota, they wanted to be just like GM.

careful what you wish for...

Edited by jpd80

Yeah I really hate the media they change their view to much. One day they bash the Big 3 (or is it the Big 1 1/2 ) and praise Asian imports then the next day they turn on the Asian imports and side with the Big 3.

I just don't understand.

There is another issue. The Japanese are not going to let American executives (including the Japanese ones that are here) have that much power and influence. The Japanese and Koreans have final say on most decisions from the head honchos in their respective countries. They may have design studios, factories here, etc., but everything gets a "Go ahead" from Korea or Japan.

Even the bad decisions such as Toyota building the truck factory in Texas.

Edited by CKNSLS

Yeah I really hate the media they change their view to much. One day they bash the Big 3 (or is it the Big 1 1/2 ) and praise Asian imports then the next day they turn on the Asian imports and side with the Big 3.

I just don't understand.

Media like reporting "stories", not "facts". Anyone can present facts, but it takes talent to weave them into stories, and stories need protagonists, antagonists, heroes, climaxes, etc. The good ones can do it without distorting the facts... but most can't. Doesn't stop them, though.

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Ford has been pulling off really good new vehicle launches since about 2002 up to now. Ford now seems to have it down to a science. You have to go back to 2000 with the Focus and Escape/Thunderbird to view Ford's last botched new vehicle launches. I know my 2002 Taurus SES Sport is best vehicle I ever owned with ZERO recalls and only one TSB that I know of. I have never owned a vehicle that defect free before. I hope it doesn't spoil me to much when I decide to buy new again. I expect the upcoming Fiesta and Focus launches to be error proof also like they have been doing for last 7 years or so.