Fiesta MPG?

Ford's website still show 30 city and 40 hwy, but pending EPA certification.

When will we know what the actual numbers are? Won't these cars be hitting the lots pretty soon, or is the release still a ways away?

Thanks for any info.

Fiesta Job 1 was March 31 2010. It should hit the show room very soon. Does a new car need EPA certification before it can be allow to sell? I guess that the process of certification is very quick, only need one day test. Besides, Fiesta's gas mileage is very famous in Europe. It was European's best selling car in March 2010.

Ford's website still show 30 city and 40 hwy, but pending EPA certification.

When will we know what the actual numbers are? Won't these cars be hitting the lots pretty soon, or is the release still a ways away?

Thanks for any info.

I read an article the other day (sorry no link) that restated the 30/40, but didn't cite the Ford site.

I'd bet the actual certification will be right in line with those numbers, or Ford would not keep using them so as to box themselves into a corner.

Lately it seems (to me) that Ford has been underestimating their product (intentionally?), so who knows, maybe the true numbers will be better?

I read on the Fiesta Faction forum that the press is driving them this week and the media blackout releases on Sunday night at midnight, so we should expect a huge amount of press coverage starting Monday! (April 26, which is the Job 1 date).

So I would expect Ford to release the EPA numbers sometime next week or soon after.

I read on the Fiesta Faction forum that the press is driving them this week and the media blackout releases on Sunday night at midnight, so we should expect a huge amount of press coverage starting Monday! (April 26, which is the Job 1 date).

So I would expect Ford to release the EPA numbers sometime next week or soon after.

Yes, I was reading the latest copy of Automotive News yesterday, and it shows Fiesta plant beginning production April 26. However, I would imagine production has already begun, albeit very slowly, and Ford is not releasing any production numbers to Automotive News. I doubt if Ford just flips on a switch this Monday morning and announces Job 1. I bet the Fiesta plant has been building a few new Fiestas everyday for at least last month, and April 26 represents that day when the line speed starts to go a bit faster. Even from April 26 on, it will probably take a couple months to get up to full speed. I would say new Fiestas will show up on Ford dealer lots towards the end of June or early July. They will be very few in numbers for rest of summer and it will be fall before any dealer has a decent number of them. I still remember the new Fusion start up well and it was months before they really started appearing in numbers on Metro Detroit dealer lots. Lots of Metro Detroit dealers were grumbling about the logistics of getting just built Fusions to Metro Detroit from Mexico. Of course after about 6 months or so Metro Detroit Ford dealers had lots of new Fusions on lots. But it took a little longer than if they were built in Michigan. The downside of building in Mexico.

Yes, I was reading the latest copy of Automotive News yesterday, and it shows Fiesta plant beginning production April 26. However, I would imagine production has already begun, albeit very slowly, and Ford is not releasing any production numbers to Automotive News. I doubt if Ford just flips on a switch this Monday morning and announces Job 1. I bet the Fiesta plant has been building a few new Fiestas everyday for at least last month, and April 26 represents that day when the line speed starts to go a bit faster. Even from April 26 on, it will probably take a couple months to get up to full speed. I would say new Fiestas will show up on Ford dealer lots towards the end of June or early July. They will be very few in numbers for rest of summer and it will be fall before any dealer has a decent number of them. I still remember the new Fusion start up well and it was months before they really started appearing in numbers on Metro Detroit dealer lots. Lots of Metro Detroit dealers were grumbling about the logistics of getting just built Fusions to Metro Detroit from Mexico. Of course after about 6 months or so Metro Detroit Ford dealers had lots of new Fusions on lots. But it took a little longer than if they were built in Michigan. The downside of building in Mexico.

Ford always builds pre-Job 1) units. In the past, those units were assigned to the Sales organization and weren't sold to the general public. Now, Ford offers new vehicles to company employees who are on the lease program at a discount. These pre-Job1 units are built, and if modifications are required, those mods are made and the vehicles are delivered later. But the post-Job 1 units with all the fixes in place that are shipped to dealers have highest priority, so fixing and delivering those pre-prod units can be delayed substantially (like months). This system seems to be working really well. Company employees are getting a good deal on the lease, but with the understanding that they might have to wait. And Ford is able to build units early to look for problems with minimal risk since they are going to company employees, not the general public.

I think July intro would be about right; Ford made a statement earlier that the timing would correspond with the normal rise in the price of gasoline during the summer.

I read an article the other day (sorry no link) that restated the 30/40, but didn't cite the Ford site.

I'd bet the actual certification will be right in line with those numbers, or Ford would not keep using them so as to box themselves into a corner.

Lately it seems (to me) that Ford has been underestimating their product (intentionally?), so who knows, maybe the true numbers will be better?

I've heard mixed reports on this. I'm not sure how EPA certs compare to real world results, but I've heard that when driven responsibly the Fiesta surpasses Ford's numbers... by a bit. The problem seems to be that the Fiesta is just too fun to drive. Sounds like a good problem to have.

I can't wait to get my meaty hands on one to see how far I can hyper-mile it... 50s anyone?

Ford always builds pre-Job 1) units. In the past, those units were assigned to the Sales organization and weren't sold to the general public. Now, Ford offers new vehicles to company employees who are on the lease program at a discount. These pre-Job1 units are built, and if modifications are required, those mods are made and the vehicles are delivered later. But the post-Job 1 units with all the fixes in place that are shipped to dealers have highest priority, so fixing and delivering those pre-prod units can be delayed substantially (like months). This system seems to be working really well. Company employees are getting a good deal on the lease, but with the understanding that they might have to wait. And Ford is able to build units early to look for problems with minimal risk since they are going to company employees, not the general public.

I think July intro would be about right; Ford made a statement earlier that the timing would correspond with the normal rise in the price of gasoline during the summer.

Thanks for the info....you said it better than me with far more detail and knowledge about how Ford does things. I also have noticed that Automotive News seems to have harder time getting production info out of Ford. AN has never gotten production numbers from Ford about the Mustang for example.

I've heard mixed reports on this. I'm not sure how EPA certs compare to real world results, but I've heard that when driven responsibly the Fiesta surpasses Ford's numbers... by a bit. The problem seems to be that the Fiesta is just too fun to drive. Sounds like a good problem to have.

I can't wait to get my meaty hands on one to see how far I can hyper-mile it... 50s anyone?

I would suspect that EPA certs will be a little below 30mpg city and a little above 40mpg highway. My prediction is 28 city and 42 highway. Without Auto Stop technology, I would imagine big city numbers are hard to reach. Ford said that Auto Stop will not be introduced until 2014 MY. For safety concerns, I would imagine Ford is really taking its time introducing Auto Stop technology. Many drivers would probably freak out in traffic if engine stopped running on them and try to restart it instead of pressing on gas pedal like in golf cart.

I would suspect that EPA certs will be a little below 30mpg city and a little above 40mpg highway. My prediction is 28 city and 42 highway. Without Auto Stop technology, I would imagine big city numbers are hard to reach. Ford said that Auto Stop will not be introduced until 2014 MY. For safety concerns, I would imagine Ford is really taking its time introducing Auto Stop technology. Many drivers would probably freak out in traffic if engine stopped running on them and try to restart it instead of pressing on gas pedal like in golf cart.

As I understand it, the EPA test cycle currently would not take in account of any stop/start system, anyway. I don't think, though, that it would freak drivers out if you informed them properly. Certainly hybrids already do this.

The Ford webiste says MAY as intro.

BTW, A Ford employee told me 42mpg.

that would be my guess...we have a couple scheduled already, ( MINE DOESNT EVEN HAVE A VIN # ) so I will keep you all posted....when i finally get mine I have a Vegas trip in mind, so i can report first hand the Mileage ( mines a 5 speed )

According to Frontline, Ford's dealer magazine, Ford's preliminary data is as follows:

29/38 = 5-speed manual

30/38 = 6-speed auto

30/40 = available SFE package

The issue of Frontline is the most current one, April/May 2010. Of course this all has a note by it that says pending EPA certification, but I don't know why they would give the dealers these numbers unless they were fairly certain, especially this close to launch. They also compare these numbers to Versa, Yaris, and Fit and Fiesta wins out (significantly: Versa auto = 26/33).

If the EPA gives more than 1 mpg better in any of these configs I would be surprised.

I think they will declare Job one in early May when that countdown on Fiestamovement2.com ends. But the real job one could be earlier or even later.

The Fiesta reservation team is saying all customer-ordered Fiestas will ship over a three-week period probably in June. Although May deliveries are an outside possibility if they can work the defects out quickly.

Finally, Ford underestimated the MPG of the 2011 Mustang by one. Wouldn't be surprised if Fiesta also beats Ford's estimates.