Spied! 2011 Ford F-150 with EcoBoost V-6

How about an '07 F350 6.0 with 500,000 miles!!! Guy comes in every week for oil changes. Delivers campers all over the midwest. He's replaced two sets of injectors, did the oil and egr coolers last month, and ORIGINAL HEAD GASKETS!!! He was looking at the '11 yesterday waiting for his oil change. I felt betrayed. I thought he was going to reach 1 million. There's still hope, he didn't leave with one.

Sounds like they designed it to last for 150k miles/10 years. After that, you're a guinea pig.

http://media.ford.co...rticle_id=29946

http://media.ford.co...rticle_id=29944

Yeah, yeah, I've read all the press releases. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the statistical reasoning behind the number. MTBF? 90% confidence? 99.99966%? "I've got a feeling"? "I've pulled it out of my ass?"

I wonder how many people replying to this thread actually own trucks. And if they do, have they ever had a diesel? I've owned a bunch of trucks, both half tons and higher. Have had 3/4 in in diesel, and gas. I've had the straight 6 F150, 5.0 and 5.4 liter. Even had an F100 with a three on the tree transmision.

I can honestly say, that I will NEVER own a non diesel truck again as long as I live. I'd love to have another half ton truck (hopefuly Ford), but I will refuse until one is offered with a diesel. My current extended cab 3/4 ton truck (it's a Dodge Ram), makes an average of 20 miles to the gallon. My last half ton 5.4 Ford made on average about 13-14 mpg. Pulling tralers is no comparison between a diesel and gas. I don't care if you only pull a trailer a couple times a year, I'd much rather have the diesel to pull the trailer.

I'm hoping this 3.5 Eb engine does well for Ford, but PLEASE Ford, don't forget about us diesel lovers. I'm not going to buy the EB no matter how good it is. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this way either. And I'll also say, that f GM or Dodge does come out with a half ton diesel, I'm jumping ship. I've long been a Ford fan (particulary trucks). The dodge diesel I currently have is my first non Ford truck I've owned. The interior sucks on the Dodge, but the cummins diesel motor is great, and more than makes up for Dodge's deficiencies. I really dont need the 3/4 ton anymore either. I just don't pull trailers like I used to.

Yeah, yeah, I've read all the press releases. I'm just wondering if anyone knows the statistical reasoning behind the number. MTBF? 90% confidence? 99.99966%? "I've got a feeling"? "I've pulled it out of my ass?"

I got this one line out of it:

The turbochargers are designed for a life cycle of at least 150,000 miles or 10 years.

and this:

EcoBoost also endured Ford’s standard engine durability test signoff by running at maximum revs and turbo boost for the equivalent of 15 straight days or 360 hours.

Sounds like it will last as long as Ford's NA engines, if not longer...but you do have additional points of failure that NA don't have

But that still begs the question, why does everyone seem to believe that the turbo in a EB will fail BEFORE the turbo in a diesel??

I see no evidence of that being the case. I would expect it to have a similar life to those in diesels. You ride it hard, it'll die. You baby it, it'll last longer than the truck...

Eco-boost is basic progress. My '96 Villager has a 151 hp V-6 that was considered very competitive in its day. My wife's '09 Patriot has a 173 hp I4. Today, you can hardly consider a V-6 viable if it doesn't make north of 200 hp.

The popular 302 and 351 truck engines only made 250 and 290 hp in thier respective most powerful forms.

Truth is, for some 90% of truck owners, the EB will more than satisfy their needs. But in trucking circles, "mines bigger" bragging rights reign supreme to the point that people who never haul anything more than a bag of garbage pay for ridiculously powerful trucks. That's fine if you want to pay for it, I drive a car that no longer requires a V-8 motor, but Ford cannot ignore CAFE. Maybe all of these truck guys should spend more time writing their congressmen instead of griping about Ford offering what the almighty government demands. :ohsnap:

I see no evidence of that being the case. I would expect it to have a similar life to those in diesels. You ride it hard, it'll die. You baby it, it'll last longer than the truck...

And for the vast majority of owners, they will never do enough to truly tax the motor.

Edited by WC Man

My 01 F150 has almost 110K miles, all original and my current company car, a 04 Expedition has almost 230K miles. Also all original. I bet the 04 Expy will have over 300K before we get rid of it. My next company car may be the next gen Explorer with the EcoBoost I4. I think diesels are great, just cost too much. Unless you really need one. Most current 1/2 ton truck owners (me included) would probably do just fine with a EcoBoost V6. I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I thought 150K was Ford's target for all engines. Doesn't mean it will fail at 151K.

My understanding is that the 150k miles figure comes courtesy of the EPA, a car's emission equipment has to be designed to last the lifetime of the car and be warranted as such. Naturally then the engine must be designed the at least meet this number. EPA and CARB consider a non-commercial vehicle's lifetime to be 150k miles if I remember correctly.

Everything considered, EB should be fine for 95%+ of owners, but only time will tell.

I wonder how many people replying to this thread actually own trucks. And if they do, have they ever had a diesel? I've owned a bunch of trucks, both half tons and higher. Have had 3/4 in in diesel, and gas. I've had the straight 6 F150, 5.0 and 5.4 liter. Even had an F100 with a three on the tree transmision.

I can honestly say, that I will NEVER own a non diesel truck again as long as I live. I'd love to have another half ton truck (hopefuly Ford), but I will refuse until one is offered with a diesel. My current extended cab 3/4 ton truck (it's a Dodge Ram), makes an average of 20 miles to the gallon. My last half ton 5.4 Ford made on average about 13-14 mpg. Pulling tralers is no comparison between a diesel and gas. I don't care if you only pull a trailer a couple times a year, I'd much rather have the diesel to pull the trailer.

I'm hoping this 3.5 Eb engine does well for Ford, but PLEASE Ford, don't forget about us diesel lovers. I'm not going to buy the EB no matter how good it is. I'm sure I'm not the only one that thinks this way either. And I'll also say, that f GM or Dodge does come out with a half ton diesel, I'm jumping ship. I've long been a Ford fan (particulary trucks). The dodge diesel I currently have is my first non Ford truck I've owned. The interior sucks on the Dodge, but the cummins diesel motor is great, and more than makes up for Dodge's deficiencies. I really dont need the 3/4 ton anymore either. I just don't pull trailers like I used to.

Yes I do own a truck...I'm on my second F150, both used for towing our travel trailer, and the 5.4 does very well. I have not owned a diesel, but have driven them. In my opinion, the best engine (barring cost consideration) in a truck is a diesel. The new 6.7L is phenomenal! That said, it also costs $7500+ more than a 6.2L gasser. Is the diesel better? Yes. Is it better for the money? Don't know. I've always been a diesel fan, but if I were choosing between an EB for $1500 more or a 4.4L diesel for $5000 more (guesses on prices), I don't know which I would choose. I only tow maybe 10% of the time, and the EB would be perfect for me in an F150. My next truck will be a SD though (to tow a fiver), and if they offer a EB or TT 5.0 in the SD at the time I am ready to purchase, the choice will be tough between it and the 6.7L, especially if the diesel costs $6k more. Is the diesel better? At that point, I think the only real advantage will be fuel economy while towing, as I think power delivery will be very similar. If you don't tow regularly, it will take a while just to save enough $$ in fuel while towing to recoup the additional tax on the extra $6k. If I towed 50% of the time or more, I'd go diesel, no questions.

• Like 1

Yes I do own a truck...I'm on my second F150, both used for towing our travel trailer, and the 5.4 does very well. I have not owned a diesel, but have driven them. In my opinion, the best engine (barring cost consideration) in a truck is a diesel. The new 6.7L is phenomenal! That said, it also costs $7500+ more than a 6.2L gasser. Is the diesel better? Yes. Is it better for the money? Don't know. I've always been a diesel fan, but if I were choosing between an EB for $1500 more or a 4.4L diesel for $5000 more (guesses on prices), I don't know which I would choose. I only tow maybe 10% of the time, and the EB would be perfect for me in an F150. My next truck will be a SD though (to tow a fiver), and if they offer a EB or TT 5.0 in the SD at the time I am ready to purchase, the choice will be tough between it and the 6.7L, especially if the diesel costs $6k more. Is the diesel better? At that point, I think the only real advantage will be fuel economy while towing, as I think power delivery will be very similar. If you don't tow regularly, it will take a while just to save enough $$ in fuel while towing to recoup the additional tax on the extra $6k. If I towed 50% of the time or more, I'd go diesel, no questions.

If you factor in resale value, diesels pay for themselves very quickly. If you buy the diesel, you'll recoup the vast majority of that upfront investment the day you trade-in or sell your truck.

If you factor in resale value, diesels pay for themselves very quickly. If you buy the diesel, you'll recoup the vast majority of that upfront investment the day you trade-in or sell your truck.

True, if you don't factor in costlier maintenance (higher $$$ oil changes, more fuel filters), DEF, the interest you pay on the extra $7500 (provided you take out a loan), etc. for the diesel, then yes. Due to the higher cost of emissions equipment, the diesel advantage (with cost figured in) is getting smaller.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a diesel proponent, I just think with the recent advancement in gas engines (turbocharging, DI, TIVCT), the cost / benefit ratio is nearing that of a gasser.

True, if you don't factor in costlier maintenance (higher $$$ oil changes, more fuel filters), DEF, the interest you pay on the extra $7500 (provided you take out a loan), etc. for the diesel, then yes. Due to the higher cost of emissions equipment, the diesel advantage (with cost figured in) is getting smaller.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still a diesel proponent, I just think with the recent advancement in gas engines (turbocharging, DI, TIVCT), the cost / benefit ratio is nearing that of a gasser.

Over 100K miles, you're looking at about $1000 worth of extra maintenance. I bet somebody that tows 10-20% of the time will save that much on fuel while towing, let alone the fuel saved running around the rest of the time. The interest is another factor though. Either way, I'd still bet that the overall lifetime cost of two trucks over 100K miles is withing $2000-3000. That money is well worth it if you need the power.

Over 100K miles, you're looking at about $1000 worth of extra maintenance. I bet somebody that tows 10-20% of the time will save that much on fuel while towing, let alone the fuel saved running around the rest of the time. The interest is another factor though. Either way, I'd still bet that the overall lifetime cost of two trucks over 100K miles is withing $2000-3000. That money is well worth it if you need the power.

Exactly! Need is a relative term. If you aren't towing heavy loads often, you don't NEED the power of the diesel.

Just did a little calculation...towing 20% of the time over 100k miles, figuring a gasser getting 8 MPG and a diesel getting 12 MPG, and fuel prices of $2.50 for gas and $2.96 for diesel (current prices in my area), the diesel saves about $1300 in fuel. That is about a wash with the extra maintenance. Empty, I'm not sure the fuel saving will be anything due to the higher cost of diesel.

That being said, towing a heavy load, give me the diesel for the extra $3k over the life of the vehicle. Honestly, I want a diesel in my next SD...but I will definitely look at what else is available.

Really short video and it looks like JJ Abrams shot it with his Cloverfield cam but you can see the info screen between the Speedo/Tach and looks like the center stack has been tweaked.

Edit: just watched again, not sure the centerstack has had any work.

Edited by MY93SHO

Really short video and it looks like JJ Abrams shot it with his Cloverfield cam but you can see the info screen between the Speedo/Tach and looks like the center stack has been tweaked.

Edit: just watched again, not sure the centerstack has had any work.

MyFord Touch???

Also notice the 'M' on the gear indicator...just like the '11 SD.