3.0L duratec engine

Does anyone out there have any information on how long this motor is going to be in production? I was wondering if was going to be around until the Fusion goes to the new platform.

I'm sure it will be around until the new platform arrives. Why do you ask?

Does anyone out there have any information on how long this motor is going to be in production? I was wondering if was going to be around until the Fusion goes to the new platform.

Just read the union quarterly report and it was mentioned that the 3.0L was being phased out in 2012. (Or at least Windsor Aluminum stops making blocks for it then)

I'm sure it will be around until the new platform arrives. Why do you ask?

I was just wondering if Ford had any plans to phase out that motor in favor of the Ecoboost four cylinders before the current Escape and Fusion platforms expire.

Edited by MillRight

Ford has just made the investment to upgrade it to the PIP version so I would thing it will be around for another 3 years.

Ford is likely reviewing their technology and the market place to determine a replacement.

Here are the possibilities as I see them. 2.0 L EcoBoost 4, new 2.3L I-6 EB, new 2.7L V6 and EB, new 2.5L VR-6 (like VW narrow V) and EB, 2.7L or 3.0L version of 3.5L and a cheaper and more fuel efficient version of the current 3.5L My choice today would be both the 2.0L I-4 EB and a new 2.5L VR-6 EB with an option of a 2.7L non-EB VR-6.

In any case for the US I only see a need for a small 6 cylinder for the next generation Fusion and Edge. All other small cars can use the 2.0L EB. I suspect that Ford will play it safe and design the next Mondeo based Fusion to take the 3.5L V6.

I was just wondering if Ford had any plans to phase out that motor in favor of the Ecoboost four cylinders before the current Escape and Fusion platforms expire.

I'm sure if the new engines are ready then they'll be used - just depends on the timing. Ford probably doesn't even know yet.

I have a feeling that the Escape and friends are going to be I4 only when they go over the Kuga/C2 platform...don't think they can fit a V6 in it.

IIRC The new Escape and Kuga go into Production at LAP in 2012 or so.

agreed, and with eco added, 6 cyls become redundant..........

I have a feeling that the Escape and friends are going to be I4 only when they go over the Kuga/C2 platform...don't think they can fit a V6 in it.

I don't think it is a matter of whether it can fit a V6 or not... it just simply won't be needed when 2.0 Ecoboost will have more power and better MPG. When Ford upgraded the base engine on the Escape to 2.5 I4 (as opposed to previous 2.0 and 2.3 I4), V6 sales pretty much evaporated.

wouldnt that mean the vehicle would be lighter, even in 4cyl form, since the underbody doesn't have to be built to hold the weight of the v6?

An MKZ would need a 6 cylinder for sure. It does not have to be big, but does have to be silky smooth and with the correct sound. The profit does not come from $20, 000 Fusions. It comes from $30, 000 Fusions. If I was going to buy a $30,000 Fusion, I would want a 6 cylinder EB.

Same for the Next generation Edge. I see no reason why you would need anything more than a 4 cylinder EB for the Escape or regular Fusion.

wouldnt that mean the vehicle would be lighter, even in 4cyl form, since the underbody doesn't have to be built to hold the weight of the v6?

Not Really...

Ford Kuga: 3556 Lb

Ford Escape: 3536 lb

Unless Ford is planning a diet, the Kuga and Escape weigh essentially the same. A friend of mine has a V6 Escape and it scoots along really well for a SUV...I was even impressed by it. Many reviewers stated that the new I4 felt as power as the old V6 in the Escape.

Same for the Next generation Edge. I see no reason why you would need anything more than a 4 cylinder EB for the Escape or regular Fusion.

I think thats the point, the V6 would make the Edge much different then the new Escape, which would only have I4s in it. It help open up differentiation between them too. The new Explorer would be the more Trucky counterpart to the Flex also. With the Explorer, there is really no need for a forced in 3 row of seats either.