The idiocy of a compact Lincoln

I guess one lime at a time is better than a lemon....lol..... but agreed, Lincoln needs to push the envelope a tad....

Back in the late 90s Lincoln fans used to brag that Lincoln was the only "luxury brand" that was full size only. Caddy had the Catera then. If the MKC is dead, maybe something like the ATS?

http://www.thecarconnection.com/marty-blog/1034151_cadillac-ats-a-new-small-family-of-its-own

Edited by timmm55

Passenger volume for the SRX isn't available on the Yahoo website, but the Terrain & Ford Escape have nearly identical passenger volumes (99.5 for Escape, 99.6 for Terrain), vs. 108 cu. ft. for the Edge/MKX.

SRX is actually a pretty compelling argument for a C-segment Lincoln CUV. Especially a hybrid model.

Found it for you:

Passenger volume - 2,849L (100.6 cu.ft.) - LINK

Let's hope that Ford has seen the improved Cadillac SRX and is now acting on it.

Strange that people compare MKX to SRX when they are different sizes and prices.

Edited by jpd80

afaik

the "AFTER HOURS" episode was earlier than the "OPEN LINE" chat

and it ^ can be downloaded which is how I listened to it

&

didn't get the impression the "C" is "dead" exactly - just that the first Lincoln-ette will won't be a concept-clone

"Autoline AfterHours" is on every Thursday evening, 7:00 PM EDT. You can download past episodes from the Autoline website or from the iTunes store. Listen to episode 58 and episode 59 part 2. About 5 minutes or so of their general talk (first 1/2 hour) was on the future of Lincoln. DeLorenzo, who has seen sketches, suggested the new C-class Lincoln would not be a Concept-C clone, or at least that's how I interpreted his comments.

?????

Don't know where you got that from. The only ones living in million dollar houses are the company executives.

EDIT: Did you know that the President of the UAW only makes about $140k a year? Ford spends more than that in a month on flying Mark Fields back and forth from his house in Florida. ;)

I imagine that's hyperbole...if it is, it's still ridiculous. If, for some bizarre reason, you mean this, then you're an idiot. First of all, Ford sold nearly all (all? I don't it's all...maybe all but 1?) its private jets during the Congressional hearing debacle, so Fields isn't flying private...probably 1st Class, but not private. Second, even if it WERE private, that's a LOT of flying for 140k/month.

Note: I'm totally shocked that the President of the UAW only makes 140k/yr. I have no respect for the union (or any union, really) as an entity...but it does seem like it's a pretty low salary for being the leader of the one of the largest unions in the country. Props to them for that!

Yes, but the interior spaces are vastly different experiences, thanks to the Theta's restrictive architecture.

Agreed, but to add to silversvt's point: they have pretty much the same pricing spectrum, exterior dimensions, and, to look at them, kinda even the same shape. They are definitely competitors to each other.

Agreed, but to add to silversvt's point: they have pretty much the same pricing spectrum, exterior dimensions, and, to look at them, kinda even the same shape. They are definitely competitors to each other.

Thats the point I was trying to make, people are going to notice the outside size difference before they get into the car. Plus for the vast majority of car buyers, I'm sure the SRX and MKX have very similar seating positions/sizes in them.

I imagine that's hyperbole...if it is, it's still ridiculous. If, for some bizarre reason, you mean this, then you're an idiot. First of all, Ford sold nearly all (all? I don't it's all...maybe all but 1?) its private jets during the Congressional hearing debacle, so Fields isn't flying private...probably 1st Class, but not private. Second, even if it WERE private, that's a LOT of flying for 140k/month.

There was an article back in 2006 that said the cost for 3 months of private jet was around $215,000 and that Fields voluntarily gave up the private jet in lieu of commercial air travel. A quick check at the time confirmed that a weekly return air flights between Detroit and Florida would cost around $90,000/year flying first class.

Back on Topic,

I made a goof over on the Cadillac SRX thread, it is in fact the similar size to Lincoln MKX

but GM sells the SRX for around $5,000 less. No wonder the SRX is flying off the lots and

no doubt Ford is makes more money per MKX sold...

Yes, a Compact CUV/SUV Lincoln for SRX price of around $33,000?

Why not, I think it would sell well enough to justify the effort.

Edited by jpd80

Back on Topic,

I made a goof over on the Cadillac SRX thread, it is in fact the similar size to Lincoln MKX

but GM sells the SRX for around $5,000 less. No wonder the SRX is flying off the lots and

no doubt Ford is makes more money per MKX sold...

Yes, a Compact CUV/SUV Lincoln for SRX price of around $33,000?

Why not, I think it would sell well enough to justify the effort.

I just wonder how Ford would market it...saying the Kuga keeps the same interior volume as the Escape, which is the same as the SRX, how does Ford slot it, even though its smaller externally then the SRX...typical auto buyer could think they are getting a better deal with the SRX because it looks like a bigger car at the same price point.

I just wonder how Ford would market it...saying the Kuga keeps the same interior volume as the Escape, which is the same as the SRX, how does Ford slot it, even though its smaller externally then the SRX...typical auto buyer could think they are getting a better deal with the SRX because it looks like a bigger car at the same price point.

Lincoln is already out of step with Cadillac by offering the MKX at $5,000 more than SRX,

I wonder if they could be cheeky enough to offer lightly reworked Kuga as the Lincoln CUV

and develop a new SUV shaped Escape for Ford use...

The price bit, I don't know - perhaps slightly cheaper than SRX and allow buyers to chose

between $30,000 Lincoln CUV Vs $32,000 Caddy SRX Vs $38,000 MKX

Edited by jpd80

In the $35k sedan market? Absolutely. And they do.

this is your title.

The idiocy of a compact Lincoln.

do you still think this is true?

Should lincoln offer a C/D car to compete with the C-sized 3 series?

It sounds like the logic Ford used to match it Large car taurus against midsized imports like the Camry and Accord.

Lincoln can only succeed if it offers class leading vehicles at Fair price. If lincoln behaves like a second tier brand it will be a second tier brand.

this is your title.

It sounds like the logic Ford used to match it Large car taurus against midsized imports like the Camry and Accord.

Originally, Camry and Accord mid sizers grew in size to compete with the original Taurus.

When Ford switched to Fivehundred and Fusion, it was the job of the Fusion to compete directly

with Camry and Accord whilst leaving the new Taurus to pick up mid sized buyers wanting more room.

My bad. I included his expense account set up to provide hair gel and pedicures. That is what made the number so high.

Let me answer that question with a question:

Is the ES350 a compact car?

Is the Cadillac CTS a compact car?

Is the G37 a compact?

Even though BMW offer the 3 series in the USA, it's main buyer base is in Europe so it doesn't

directly depend on the US for its survival. The same thing cannot be said about Lincoln,

Lexus or Cadillac developing a compact sedan, their main market is US centric....

Edited by jpd80

Even though BMW offer the 3 series in the USA, it's main buyer base is in Europe so it doesn't

directly depend on the US for its survival. The same thing cannot be said about Lincoln,

Lexus or Cadillac developing a compact sedan, their main market is US centric....

The BMW 3-Series is also the most popular car in the $35k sedan segment. Heck, I think it outsells the Taurus.