My 5.0 Has Arrived!!!!

I wasn't too sure about it either! That's why I did the photoshop. I actually like it.

Don't take any of this manual/automatic "discussion" too seriously. I heard the same arguements 5 years ago. There is no RIGHT answer.

Of coarse there is no right answer it is up to the individual as to what they want and i have no problem with guys getting autos if thats what they want. What i do have a problem with is the auto guys saying it is better to drive an auto because it gets better gas milage or is faster and you are just as involved wiht a manumatic type set up. That is not true, if you want to drive an auto fine, do it but don't try to justify it being the same as driving a manual. These arguments are always started by the auto guys probably because they feel like manual guys think they are not real men for driving an auto, so they overcopensate by pumping up the autos. As far as i am concerned i drive an auto for the invlvement in the driving experience, if you want to drive an auto fine, but don't say it is the same or better as a stick for the reasons i buy it , because it is not and no matter how good they get never will be. If you are content with your auto you should not feel the need to justify it to anybody.

Of coarse there is no right answer it is up to the individual as to what they want and i have no problem with guys getting autos if thats what they want. What i do have a problem with is the auto guys saying it is better to drive an auto because it gets better gas milage or is faster and you are just as involved wiht a manumatic type set up. That is not true, if you want to drive an auto fine, do it but don't try to justify it being the same as driving a manual. These arguments are always started by the auto guys probably because they feel like manual guys think they are not real men for driving an auto, so they overcopensate by pumping up the autos. As far as i am concerned i drive an auto for the invlvement in the driving experience, if you want to drive an auto fine, but don't say it is the same or better as a stick for the reasons i buy it , because it is not and no matter how good they get never will be. If you are content with your auto you should not feel the need to justify it to anybody.

LOL at the first sentance I agreed with you. But you go on and on about how much better you are! "because it is not and no matter how good they get never will be" ??????

Things have changed a lot in the last 40 years or so. Slush boxes aren't slushy anymore. Even with "wimpy" gears a 5.0 automatic is just as fast as the manual.

In the case of the 305 HP V6 the automatic does get better MPGs (not true with the 5.0 V8 however).

IMHO the argument is by manual guys who need to prove their manhood. Rowing though a few gears doesn't make you a better man. Some people will agrue that manual transmissions are an anachronism, like a manual crank to start your car. (Stick your rod in to start your baby! Crank it a few times,,,,,,if she's cold it may need coaxing! Now there's some sexual double entendres!)

We seldom wind up our windows manually, we don't use a crank to start cars anymore, air conditioning is no longer a luxury, they are coveniences.......as is an automatic transmission. In traffic and most day to day situations an automatic IS more practical, effortless.

Lastly you say "If you are content with your auto you should not feel the need to justify it to anybody.".....but after all you just said that seems disengenious . Are you "content" with a manual transmission? Even that sounds judgemental.

LOL at the first sentance I agreed with you. But you go on and on about how much better you are! "because it is not and no matter how good they get never will be" ??????

Things have changed a lot in the last 40 years or so. Slush boxes aren't slushy anymore. Even with "wimpy" gears a 5.0 automatic is just as fast as the manual.

In the case of the 305 HP V6 the automatic does get better MPGs (not true with the 5.0 V8 however).

IMHO the argument is by manual guys who need to prove their manhood. Rowing though a few gears doesn't make you a better man. Some people will agrue that manual transmissions are an anachronism, like a manual crank to start your car. (Stick your rod in to start your baby! Crank it a few times,,,,,,if she's cold it may need coaxing! Now there's some sexual double entendres!)

We seldom wind up our windows manually, we don't use a crank to start cars anymore, air conditioning is no longer a luxury, they are coveniences.......as is an automatic transmission. In traffic and most day to day situations an automatic IS more practical, effortless.

Lastly you say "If you are content with your auto you should not feel the need to justify it to anybody.".....but after all you just said that seems disengenious . Are you "content" with a manual transmission? Even that sounds judgemental.

First of all I did not say I was better than anyone, and I said the manual was better for the reasons "I" buy it. If those reasons are not important to you you would have no reason to get a manual and thats your decision and fine with me. Again you bring up how fast the auto is, does not even matter to me if is as fast or faster. You bring up that the V6

First of all I did not say I was better than anyone, and I said the manual was better for the reasons "I" buy it. If those reasons are not important to you you would have no reason to get a manual and thats your decision and fine with me. Again you bring up how fast the auto is, does not even matter to me if is as fast or faster. You bring up that the V6

OOps posted before I was done. To finish You bring up that the V6 gets better gas milage, don't care, not why I buy the stick. I am not trying to prove my manhood, if you knew me you would know the way I live my life does that for me, I am in no way macho or in your face. I just like the connection to the car the stick gives me. You bring up convenience and ease of operation in traffic, no argument there you are 100% correct but it is a sacrifice I gladly make for my Passion, by the way if you want hard try driving my '72 Mach I in traffic. Is it more practicle, I guess thats debatable eiter way the stick is easier to control in bad wheather I guess, but even if it was not it doesn't matter, still not the reason I bought it. Judgemental? I said if you want an auto go ahead just dont tell me I am going to dump it in favor of the latest attept to replace it. I won't believe me, I will drive a stick until the y stick me in the ground if I am physically able to. And yes I am content with my manual, I didn't mean to make it sound as if you were settling, just that the auto gives you what you want, just don't tell me it will give me what I want. I don't see how you can have a problem with that statement. And as far as I see the argument is mostly brought up by the autop guys, no proof of that, but I don't deny there are guys that try to imply that auto = not manly, but I never said that. Does that make my position clearer to you and do you disagree with any thing I said?

You don't get it. If people would just say "I prefer a manual" or "I like to drive a manual" (or auto) then nobody would care. Manuals used to be cheaper, faster and get better mpg but that is no longer the case - yet manual fans still try to justify their choice based on those advantages that are no longer relevant.

You can state your preference for one or the other without disparaging those who choose the opposite.

You don't get it. If people would just say "I prefer a manual" or "I like to drive a manual" (or auto) then nobody would care. Manuals used to be cheaper, faster and get better mpg but that is no longer the case - yet manual fans still try to justify their choice based on those advantages that are no longer relevant.

You can state your preference for one or the other without disparaging those who choose the opposite.

No you don't get my point. I think I made my point clearly, but here we go again. Cheaper - don't care, faster - don't care, better mpg - don't care. we are not trying to justify our choice, we buy manuals for the driving involvement and connection to the machine, not for the other three reasons which you say are no longer relevant. They were only gravy before not the reason, anyone who bought a manual for those reasons was not getting it because they wanted it but because of those reasons, which is fine they are all valid reasons to one person or another. " I prefer a manual" . All I ask is that the auto people do as you say and say they prefer an auto and not say if we stick people drive the latest auto we will switch. Thats it, is that so much to ask. I like what I like and you like what you like, fine but don't try to convince me to your wayh of thinking especially when you don't understand mine. I have been driving for almost 30 years. I have driven six cars in that time ( two my Dads and four I owned) all sticks and am quite confident in what I like. So I would appreciate it if you guys stopped putting words in my mouth and misrepresenting what I said. I don't see how I can be any clearer than that. I also don't see how these statements can be seen as "me not getting it' or as condesending to auto drivers.

Please if you have a problem with anything I said this time enlighten me, just make sure you quote the exact sentence and tell me how I am wrong. Believe me I have been wrong plenty of times in my life and have no problem admitting to it if it is proven. Auto and manual guys are still car guys and there are fewer and fewer of us so we need to get along. As I said I have no problem with people driving what they want, just don't tell me I want to drive it too.

So I would appreciate it if you guys stopped putting words in my mouth and misrepresenting what I said.

Please if you have a problem with anything I said this time enlighten me, just make sure you quote the exact sentence and tell me how I am wrong.

if you want to drive an auto fine, but don't say it is the same or better as a stick for the reasons i buy it , because it is not and no matter how good they get never will be.

First of all I did not say I was better than anyone, and I said the manual was better for the reasons "I" buy it.

I don't think you meant it the way you said it, but you did say twice that the manual was "better". Better is an objective word that doesn't involve a personal preference. Just say that you prefer a manual because you like it - don't use the word better. And the same would go for the auto guys.

I like both - they each have their benefits. And it is a fact that the real objective advantages of a manual (cost, performance, fuel economy) are no longer applicable. That doesn't make them bad or wrong. It just means you can't use those to justify getting a manual any more (not that you were - just saying in general).

I don't think you meant it the way you said it, but you did say twice that the manual was "better". Better is an objective word that doesn't involve a personal preference. Just say that you prefer a manual because you like it - don't use the word better. And the same would go for the auto guys.

I like both - they each have their benefits. And it is a fact that the real objective advantages of a manual (cost, performance, fuel economy) are no longer applicable. That doesn't make them bad or wrong. It just means you can't use those to justify getting a manual any more (not that you were - just saying in general).

OK great points, you obviously read the post and quoted the places I might have come across as saying the manual was better than the auto. I wasn't though, just saying it was better for me and my reasons. Thank you for pointing that out, so I can get across what I want to say without being misunderstood. So I was wrong I could be clearer, told you it happened, writing is not one of my strengths. So yes I 'prefer' a manual to an auto and for anyone that prefers an auto thats great. Again my main point still is please don't say that no matter how much more eficient the latest auto is that it will be able to change my mind as to what trans I prefer in my cars. I do agree with the fact that manuals have come a long way and in probably most ways are more efficient than manuals. They are also much more driver friendly in traffic no doubt. But none of these facts will change my mind, and don't effect the reasons I 'prefer' a manual. I hope that says it all,

OK great points, you obviously read the post and quoted the places I might have come across as saying the manual was better than the auto. I wasn't though, just saying it was better for me and my reasons. Thank you for pointing that out, so I can get across what I want to say without being misunderstood. So I was wrong I could be clearer, told you it happened, writing is not one of my strengths. So yes I 'prefer' a manual to an auto and for anyone that prefers an auto thats great. Again my main point still is please don't say that no matter how much more eficient the latest auto is that it will be able to change my mind as to what trans I prefer in my cars. I do agree with the fact that manuals have come a long way and in probably most ways are more efficient than manuals. They are also much more driver friendly in traffic no doubt. But none of these facts will change my mind, and don't effect the reasons I 'prefer' a manual. I hope that says it all,

Anyone who says a manual is no longer necessary is only looking at the objective reasons (cost, fuel economy and mpg) and not the subjective reasons. Most just don't understand the subjective appeal of changing your own gears.

My weekend car will definitely be a manual, but my daily driver is an automatic. I got tired of shifting my manual ranger in Atlanta traffic.

Anyone who says a manual is no longer necessary is only looking at the objective reasons (cost, fuel economy and mpg) and not the subjective reasons. Most just don't understand the subjective appeal of changing your own gears.

My weekend car will definitely be a manual, but my daily driver is an automatic. I got tired of shifting my manual ranger in Atlanta traffic.

Exactly, Timmm55 said that the auot trans is a convenience to make things easier like power windows and others which is esentially correct it is a convenience for those who find shifting more work than the joy they get out of it. But a convenience is only appreciated if you don't like the thing it is helping you with. I don't miss having to roll down the window and I am sure would not like to have to crank start the car, but I would miss shifting. I guess it is hadf to understand for people who do not miss that part of the whole driving experience, because it is only one part, but IMHO a very important part.

akirby, on 23 June 2010 - 11:25 PM, said:

Exactly, Timmm55 said that the auot trans is a convenience to make things easier like power windows and others which is esentially correct it is a convenience for those who find shifting more work than the joy they get out of it. But a convenience is only appreciated if you don't like the thing it is helping you with. I don't miss having to roll down the window and I am sure would not like to have to crank start the car, but I would miss shifting. I guess it is hadf to understand for people who do not miss that part of the whole driving experience, because it is only one part, but IMHO a very important part.

Right now my only car is a 5 speed manual Miata. It's a Sports Car in the classic sense. So I get it. With an automatic in Miatas it sucks the life out of them. No fun what-so-ever IMHO. But, as I said before the Mustang GT is also a Muscle Car more than a Sports Car (but more of a Sports Car than it has ever been also!) . I think of the Cougar/Mustang/Torino/Cyclone 428 CJ Muscle Cars back in the late 60s and IMHO automatics were fine with them. Sure, there were manual "only" BOSS 302/429s, Z28s, etc. Most of those cars didn't come alive till they hit 6000+ RPMs and the automatics of the day just didn't work well with them.

Now, with an automatic Mustang GT, you can have your cake and eat it too. You can be FAST, FUN and LAZY if you want :stop: :blah:

It isn't a question of abitity, superiority or masculinity.

Can't we just be HAPPY for this guy who just got a beautiful car? Hell, I'm jealous!

Right now my only car is a 5 speed manual Miata. It's a Sports Car in the classic sense. So I get it. With an automatic in Miatas it sucks the life out of them. No fun what-so-ever IMHO. But, as I said before the Mustang GT is also a Muscle Car more than a Sports Car (but more of a Sports Car than it has ever been also!) . I think of the Cougar/Mustang/Torino/Cyclone 428 CJ Muscle Cars back in the late 60s and IMHO automatics were fine with them. Sure, there were manual "only" BOSS 302/429s, Z28s, etc. Most of those cars didn't come alive till they hit 6000+ RPMs and the automatics of the day just didn't work well with them.

Now, with an automatic Mustang GT, you can have your cake and eat it too. You can be FAST, FUN and LAZY if you want :stop: :blah:

It isn't a question of abitity, superiority or masculinity.

Can't we just be HAPPY for this guy who just got a beautiful car? Hell, I'm jealous!

Agreed, I am 100% with you on that point I am jealous too. Only way I am seeing a new mustang in my driveway is if someone with one visits me! And I am sure the car is a blast to deive either way, I just happen to prefer "pie" to cake thats all. I also agree that it isn't a question of ability, superiority or masculinity, just a matter of preferance. I think sometimes the stick people do get a little defensive because manuals are a shrinking percentage of cars and we are fighting to hold onto that part of driving that we love so much. In ten years or so the Mustang might br the only Ford left with a manual. Just hope I can get one by then.

Agreed, I am 100% with you on that point I am jealous too. Only way I am seeing a new mustang in my driveway is if someone with one visits me! And I am sure the car is a blast to deive either way, I just happen to prefer "pie" to cake thats all. I also agree that it isn't a question of ability, superiority or masculinity, just a matter of preferance. I think sometimes the stick people do get a little defensive because manuals are a shrinking percentage of cars and we are fighting to hold onto that part of driving that we love so much. In ten years or so the Mustang might br the only Ford left with a manual. Just hope I can get one by then.

I hope Ford keeps making the manual shifters too. I just bought a V6 Mustang convertible and swore I was going to get a manual shifter. I made an appointment to test drive one at a dealer about 50 miles away only to find out when I got there they sold it that morning. It was the only one I could find around Toronto. I ended up test driving an automatic. Long story short..... I realized a convertible was all about easy driving with the roof down.... no puppet show to run with the clutching and shifting, gas and brake...and I have driven manual shifters all my very long life. The automatic is taking some getting used to, and I miss the direct cause and effect when punching the gas pedal, miss the downshifting to brake, but there will be a next car, and it will probably be a manual shift. Btw, I had 137,000 km. (85,600 miles) on my previous car and had no brake work done to that point. Long lasting brakes is another upside to manual shift. That said..... Danglin, nice car, love the race red! That's the colour I wanted but red candy metallic was in stock. I hope you are as thrilled with your Mustang as I am with mine!

I hope Ford keeps making the manual shifters too. I just bought a V6 Mustang convertible and swore I was going to get a manual shifter. I made an appointment to test drive one at a dealer about 50 miles away only to find out when I got there they sold it that morning. It was the only one I could find around Toronto. I ended up test driving an automatic. Long story short..... I realized a convertible was all about easy driving with the roof down.... no puppet show to run with the clutching and shifting, gas and brake...and I have driven manual shifters all my very long life. The automatic is taking some getting used to, and I miss the direct cause and effect when punching the gas pedal, miss the downshifting to brake, but there will be a next car, and it will probably be a manual shift. Btw, I had 137,000 km. (85,600 miles) on my previous car and had no brake work done to that point. Long lasting brakes is another upside to manual shift. That said..... Danglin, nice car, love the race red! That's the colour I wanted but red candy metallic was in stock. I hope you are as thrilled with your Mustang as I am with mine!

Congrats to you on your new car also. It is a shame you couldn't get the manual you wanted. That is a worry for us stick drivers that if the number of people buying sticks keep dropping they will make even less. I couldn't imagine a manual would not be always offered in a Mustang but who knows. I guess that is part of my frustration it feels as though I am almost being forced to giving up the manual ( in the long run ). I guess thats what happens when you are in the minority and buisness is buisiness and looks to satisfy the masses. Does any one knoe the breakdown for Mustangs 6 and 8 for manual vs auto?

Thanks, Congrats on your new Ride!!! :happy feet: :happy feet:

How about some Pictures. :doh:

I am definitely thrilled my machine... :shades:

Edited by danglin

Saw today that Ferrari and Lambo quit making manuals.....