2011 Mustang transmission from China?

Scary to think someone so illiterate could be involved in counter-intelligence.

I am clearly not a big fan of China - I gave you 3 reasons in that very post!

However, their supposed "communism", which hasn't existed for decades, isn't one of them. You might as well hate the moon for being made of green cheese.

Noah, Based on your indecorous response regarding my last post, apparently it’s not ok to express disappointment with a portion of the car being built in China. That sounds like a suppression of free speech which is a tenant that the Chinese like to subscribe to. As for being illiterate, how does phrasing three reasons in the form of a question clearly state your position on the matter? Prior to that, you make mention of the “poster’s priorities,” not your priorities.

Because I expressed disappointment did not mean that I would discontinue purchasing Ford products. To the contrary, I currently have three Ford vehicles with the intention of replacing a 2007 EB Expedition with a new one. Because I like Ford products doesn't mean that I have to like everything they do and I believe that it is beneficial when things are produced here, rather than abroad. It's nice when your neighbors are gainfully employed and their houses aren't being foreclosed on. I appreciate your attempt to explain to me economics of the world economy and the principals of communism; however I do stay abreast on the matters and really don’t need your insight considering you didn’t answer any of the questions in the original post.

Anybody have a photo of the window sticker or a link to prove it?

That would be the last post necessary.

Manual transmission 2011 Mustang V6 (same AALA info applies to the GT). As I mentioned previously, this tranny, the MT82, is sourced from the JMC/Getrag plant in Nanchang, China:

11_mustang_man.jpg

Automatic transmission 2011 Mustang V6 (again, same parts conten info for the GT). The autotragic (automagic?) trans in '11 Mustangs is the Ford 6R80, sourced from the company's transmission plant in Livonia (Michigan), USA:

11_mustang_auto.jpg

timmm55, for some reason I don't think this will actually be the last post... :hysterical:

Apparently not, even after > 30 posts. I didn't think discussion threads on BON forums would have such a low signal to noise ratio. Anyway, I'll take a stab at this:

The 6-speed manual used in the 2011 Mustang is the Ford/Getrag MT82, originally developed for the RWD Mk7 Ford Transit and Land Rover Defender. The main production site for this transmission is the Ford/Getrag JV plant in Halewood, UK.

In 2006, a localization program with Jiangling Motors Company Group to produce the MT82 transmission in China (parallel to the launch of the Mk7 Ford Transit for the Chinese domestic market) was officially approved by JMC and Getrag. The JMC/Getrag transmission manufacturing facility and China hq is located in Nanchang, Jiangxi Province. Information about this facility can be found here. Also, attached is a PDF that details the localization program.

Both the JMC/Getrag Nanchang plant and the MT82 transmission itself are top notch. Ford was wise to extend application of this tranny to the Mustang and to source it from Nanchang. :yup:

Aneekr, thanks for taking a stab at answering the underlying question. Though I mentioned China in the original post I certainly wasn't expecting so many tangents. I now have a better understanding of the business case behind this decision; nevertheless it sure would have been nice if it was made here instead. I guess you can’t have it all. The Mustang is an impressive car and I still wouldn’t mind having one in my garage.

Earlier someone mentioned a high 'noise to signal' ratio.

Here's the deal: What happens when you tune your radio to a frequency with no station? Lots of noise. No signal.

There's darn little information out there about where this transmission is coming from, so nobody on the board has the information in mind.

Therefore the question goes unanswered.

Eventually a kind soul does what the original poster could have done as well (to wit: he used a search engine), and furnishes the result.

But to ask a question and expect us to research the answer? Sorry. You'll get plenty of noise and no signal if that's what you want.

BTW: I'm sure the OP didn't expect us to drop everything and hunt all over the internet to get an answer: I'm sure he thought one of us -knew- the answer. It turns out none of us did, hence the China blather, the union blather, the military waste blather, and finally the Spanish Inquisition blather. It's just the way things work around here.

If we'd known, we'd have said something. Since we didn't, well, this is what you get.

Original post had no question just stated a fact.

I don't post often but I regularly view the forums on here but after a trip to the local Ford dealer to check out some of the new vehicles I noticed that the transmission on the 2011 Mustang 5.0 that I looked at was made in China.

Biggest manufacturer....of cheap shit. Seriously, do you want American factories cranking out 12 cent widgets built by workers earning minimum wage?

Funny thing is that the US economy as a whole does 13% of our economy is dedicated to manufacturing goods and I think China is somewhere around 26%...but yet (at least for now) we still out produce them.

Funny thing is that the US economy as a whole does 13% of our economy is dedicated to manufacturing goods and I think China is somewhere around 26%...but yet (at least for now) we still out produce them.

Well, by comparison, China's overall economy is much simpler than ours. That will change as their middle class grows and they have more need for things like financial and retail services which comprise a significant portion of our economy.

Well, by comparison, China's overall economy is much simpler than ours. That will change as their middle class grows and they have more need for things like financial and retail services which comprise a significant portion of our economy.

It's already happening. Look at the strikes against Honda and Toyota in China. The workers there want to be paid in parity with the workers in Honda and Toyota plants in Japan. It took the Japanese decades to seek increases in pay and it will take the Chinese even less time. The global economy will eventually mean that there is no extreme low price source. They want what we want.

Biggest manufacturer....of cheap shit. Seriously, do you want American factories cranking out 12 cent widgets built by workers earning minimum wage?

So the new Mustang's manual transmission is cheap shit from China.

I'll take the American automatic then!

• 10 months later...

So the new Mustang's manual transmission is cheap shit from China.

I'll take the American automatic then!

I wish I would have known about the Chinese connection before I bought mine. I would have gone auto. HOWEVER, mine has had problems from the first day but appears to be smoothing out now after a break in period. Still, if I wanted a foreign made car or Chinese parts in a car I wouldn't have bought a Ford like I have been doing for the past 15 years. MEMO TO FORD: NO CHINESE PARTS!

I wish I would have known about the Chinese connection before I bought mine. I would have gone auto. HOWEVER, mine has had problems from the first day but appears to be smoothing out now after a break in period. Still, if I wanted a foreign made car or Chinese parts in a car I wouldn't have bought a Ford like I have been doing for the past 15 years. MEMO TO FORD: NO CHINESE PARTS!

You've purchased Ford products for 15 years and now express surprise about the "Chinese connection"? Ford's Chinese connection goes back far beyond that.

Edited by aneekr

Then you will be stuck buying 15-20 year old used vehicles.

The true fact being that all currently manufactured, recently manufactured vehicles have Chinese parts in them.

Like any other phase, this one too will pass. Especially when the next best cheap source is found to be economically viable (as in, cheap enough to make moving a plant there). Such is the pattern with chasing the lowest price.

If we want to blame anyone, we need to look in the mirror. We are the ones that demanded affordable. Even as commodity prices, and the price to meet ever changing regulations has skyrocketed, we bitch, whine and complain about a $150 price increase in our vehicle of choice. We are the "cake and eat it to" generation. Are we willing to pony up for "made in America." If so, who is the first guinea pig manufacturer going to be, that is willing to put its sales on the line, and profits, by making the product you are demanding?? I will give you a hint........................... none that want to stay in business.

Why only blame Wal Mart? Go into Macy's or Home Depot and look at where the majority of the stuff there is made. When I bought my appliances, I had to search pretty hard in the store to find units made in America. It's everything these days, not just cheap stuff.

I was thinking the same thing!! I challenge anyone to go to any store and find where they only sale American Made products! It will not happen. :stirpot:

Wal-Mart sells the same items for less!!! They also do carry American Made products. Interestingly enough, Me and my wife were looking at baking pans. The Wal-mart brand pans are made in the USA and are of inferior quality to the Chinese Made name brand. Guess what my wife bought!!! :banghead:

I certainly purchase as much USA made products as possible, including the USA made auto in my 5.0. :shift:

Edited by danglin

I was thinking the same thing!! I challenge anyone to go to any store and find where they only sale American Made products! It will not happen. :stirpot:

It didn't use to be like that. Walmart, when the old man was alive, prided itself by offering quality USA made products. Ironically, some of the earliest forms of "outsourcing" to China is because of Wal Mart's policies. After the kids took over, so did greed.

I challenge you to watch for yourself. This documentary alone should keep you from shopping there.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/walmart/