2011 Focus at Dealers

I was looking at a 2011 Focus SE at Ford dealer today. With sports appearance package, auto, and cruise control the sticker was $19,700. Jeeeesh! With prices like this for a Focus, I don't have a lot of confidence abouft future new vehicle sales. There is nothing happening in the economy that justifies people paying $20,000 for a Focus SE. I would hope that the final transaction price is not over $16,000, or auto sales are not going to move up much from here.

I was looking at a 2011 Focus SE at Ford dealer today. With sports appearance package, auto, and cruise control the sticker was $19,700. Jeeeesh! With prices like this for a Focus, I don't have a lot of confidence abouft future new vehicle sales. There is nothing happening in the economy that justifies people paying $20,000 for a Focus SE. I would hope that the final transaction price is not over $16,000, or auto sales are not going to move up much from here.

What comparable vehicle stickers for less? $20,000 is the price of entry for a reasonably equipped C-segment sedan these days. If that's too much for you, there's a nice selection of used cars on the other side of the lot. In case you missed it, car sales HAVE been steadily improving for several months now. A $20,000 sticker and $18,000 transaction price would put the average buyers payment between $300 and $400 a month, which doesn't seem to unobtainable for most folks these days.

They're still trying to move the 2010s which have $2000-$2500 in incentives. I'm sure the final transaction prices for the 2011 will be closer to $17500 or so.

Stand alone prices are useless anyway. What is the competition selling for?

What comparable vehicle stickers for less? $20,000 is the price of entry for a reasonably equipped C-segment sedan these days. If that's too much for you, there's a nice selection of used cars on the other side of the lot. In case you missed it, car sales HAVE been steadily improving for several months now. A $20,000 sticker and $18,000 transaction price would put the average buyers payment between $300 and $400 a month, which doesn't seem to unobtainable for most folks these days.

Sorry you failed to understand the point of my post. I'm not picking on Ford, just sticker prices on entry level vehicles. You have to admit the sticker price has skyrocketed on entry level cars last few years while at the same time housing prices and the stock market has imploded. And people wonder why auto sales are in the tank? Maybe you think auto sales are fine at 11 million/year and that everyone can afford $20,000 compact cars, but sales data differs. It seems like yesterday (few years ago) that average sticker price on Focus was $16,000 and now it's like $19,000. And I know it's even worse with some other auto companies like VW GTI running $26,000. Blah blah blah about the extra features like side airbags and Sync which I could care less about. Again, new vehicle auto prices are getting out of hand.

Again, new vehicle auto prices are getting out of hand.

According to who? I bet you weren't complaining when your house was going up in value when we had the Real Estate bubble a couple years ago. All that refinancing let people buy 40K+ cars and SUV's they really didn't need..not to mention that there is ALOT of economic uncertainty at the moment and well Christ cars last/are kept longer also drives down the sales numbers the past couple years.

The other thing is that the Focus isn't entry level any more...ever hear of the Fiesta?

Sorry you failed to understand the point of my post. I'm not picking on Ford, just sticker prices on entry level vehicles. You have to admit the sticker price has skyrocketed on entry level cars last few years while at the same time housing prices and the stock market has imploded. And people wonder why auto sales are in the tank? Maybe you think auto sales are fine at 11 million/year and that everyone can afford $20,000 compact cars, but sales data differs. It seems like yesterday (few years ago) that average sticker price on Focus was $16,000 and now it's like $19,000. And I know it's even worse with some other auto companies like VW GTI running $26,000. Blah blah blah about the extra features like side airbags and Sync which I could care less about. Again, new vehicle auto prices are getting out of hand.

While the Comerica new car affordability index has dropped in 2010, the data indicates new cars, on average, are more affordable now than just about any other point in the past 20 years OTHER than 2009 and 2008.

NOTE: the graph below is kinda funky- higher points on the y-axis indicate FEWER weeks of income needed to buy the average new car.

auto_afford_q409.jpg

• Like 1

According to who? I bet you weren't complaining when your house was going up in value when we had the Real Estate bubble a couple years ago. All that refinancing let people buy 40K+ cars and SUV's they really didn't need..not to mention that there is ALOT of economic uncertainty at the moment and well Christ cars last/are kept longer also drives down the sales numbers the past couple years.

The other thing is that the Focus isn't entry level any more...ever hear of the Fiesta?

call me whatever, but I remember retailing Ranger std cabs for $8995....prices HAVE esculated significantly, but its not only ford....BMW countered the 3 series price increases by introducing the 1 series....well guess what, the 1 has become expensive as well and now there is a Zero model being developed to fill the "void'....so, a question begs to be asked....next generation Ka coming stateside?....then what, the re-birth of Uni-cycles? Facyt is along with increased transaction prices comes higher Payments, and soon we will witness 7 year financing....maybe more.....WOW!So people keep their cars longer which will be mirrored in declining new car sales....circle of life I suppose...

you cannot compare the realestate market with that of the automobile...do you change your house every 3-4 years ( soon to become every 5-6 )......but yeah, those equity downpayments are GONE BURGER!

Maybe I can put it another way. A buddy of mine bought a new 2008 Focus SE a couple years ago and final price was $11,500. It was A plan price, and he said anyone could have bought it for about $12,200 new. That was only two years ago! Now the Focus is exactly the same car, and best transaction price is probably $16,000 on Focus SE. You could get heated seats on a 2007 Focus SE no problem and now you you have to buy $21,000 Focus SEL to get same. This is progress? I call it gouging. I own Ford stock and want a profitable Ford like everyone else, but again new vehicle prices are getting out of hand.

Iwouldnt say its gouging, the cost of materials hasnt stayed still, the mandated safety features are an ever moving target etc etc....that, and Ford isnt selling as many Expeditions and the like to enable losses to be taken on vehicle that level their CAFE ratings.....

Iwouldnt say its gouging, the cost of materials hasnt stayed still, the mandated safety features are an ever moving target etc etc....that, and Ford isnt selling as many Expeditions and the like to enable losses to be taken on vehicle that level their CAFE ratings.....

Like Anything else...what else hasn't gone up?

Maybe I can put it another way. A buddy of mine bought a new 2008 Focus SE a couple years ago and final price was $11,500. It was A plan price, and he said anyone could have bought it for about $12,200 new. That was only two years ago! Now the Focus is exactly the same car, and best transaction price is probably $16,000 on Focus SE. You could get heated seats on a 2007 Focus SE no problem and now you you have to buy $21,000 Focus SEL to get same. This is progress? I call it gouging. I own Ford stock and want a profitable Ford like everyone else, but again new vehicle prices are getting out of hand.

And Ford LOST $3K on that Focus (if that price is correct). So the price should have been $16K all along. You can buy a stripped Fiesta for around $12K. That is the new entry level.

And who says 17M is normal and sustainable? Maybe 11M is normal and 17M was an unsustainable bubble just like the housing bubble.

Buying a brand new vehicle is a luxury. That's why we have cheap used cars.

call me whatever, but I remember retailing Ranger std cabs for $8995....

I can beat that. In 1989 I bought a 1990 regular cab 4 cyl manual with sliding rear window, tailgate applique, chrome wheels, A/C and a 4 speaker stereo for $7995.

They were trying to maintain their #1 sales position and were practically giving them away.

I traded it in 1994 for a 95 supercab 4.0L manual. I saw it 3 or 4 months ago in a shopping center near my house. I know it was the same one because of damage to the left front fender caused by a lady pulling into Wendy's at a 45 degree angle right in front of me and a damaged spot on the tailgate.

I can beat that. In 1989 I bought a 1990 regular cab 4 cyl manual with sliding rear window, tailgate applique, chrome wheels, A/C and a 4 speaker stereo for $7995.

They were trying to maintain their #1 sales position and were practically giving them away.

I traded it in 1994 for a 95 supercab 4.0L manual. I saw it 3 or 4 months ago in a shopping center near my house. I know it was the same one because of damage to the left front fender caused by a lady pulling into Wendy's at a 45 degree angle right in front of me and a damaged spot on the tailgate.

jeez Kirb...we need to have a "Remember the days when...." beer together....lol :party:

Have you completely lost your marble?

$16,000 sticker price on Focus "a few years ago" means it should be around $19,000 now.

Inflation has been running around 3~4% the last couple of years so a $16,000 Focus 4 years ago should be just a shade under $19,000 today.

Have you completely lost your marble?

$16,000 sticker price on Focus "a few years ago" means it should be around $19,000 now.

Inflation has been running around 3~4% the last couple of years so a $16,000 Focus 4 years ago should be just a shade under $19,000 today.

Inflation from 2007 -2010 is 2.28%