Lincoln Production to Increase Starting in September

From today's Automotive News:

"Ford Motor Co. plans to boost production of Lincoln vehicles in the fourth quarter. The automaker declined to specify the amount of the increase.

Lincoln's U.S. sales are up 4.1 percent this year to 49,348 cars and trucks, but fell 16 percent in July.

Many Lincoln dealers have complained they cannot get enough vehicles to meet consumer demand. Some dealers report having less than a 20-day supply of models.

“I couldn't get anything allocated to me on my last round of Lincoln orders,” said Martin Gubbels, owner of Big Sky Ford in Torrington, Wyo. “I have no MKZs in stock, no MKTs in stock and no MKX in stock. I have the MKS and that's it -- one.”

Ford is aware of dealers' concerns and is ramping up production.

"We have concrete plans to increase Lincoln production in the fourth quarter of this year by a fairly significant amount,” Ken Czubay, Ford's vice president of U.S. marketing, sales and service, said during a sales call today. “Dealers will see that hit later this year.”

Read more: http://www.autonews.com/article/20100803/RETAIL01/100809954/1448#ixzz0vapG5di5

Strong preorders for the MkX and MkZ Hybrid?

Hines Park in Plymouth, MI must be getting all the Lincolns and not sharing with anyone else. They have two big lots full of new Lincolns of every variety. Row upon row of MKT's and MKS's. They are also directly across street from Don Massey Cadillac, the number one seller of Cadillacs in nation. Hines Park is smaller, but not by that much.

My local LM dealer (Where I get my Fords serviced) has:

6 MkS 2010

4 MkS 2011

11 MkZ 2010

0 MkZ 2011

12 MkX 2010

0 MkX 2011 (Duh!)

10 MkT 2010

0 MkT 2011

7 Milan 2010

15 Mariner 2010

4 Mountaineer 2010

10 Granda Keys 2010

4 Airport Shuttles

0 Navigators

Edited by sullynd

Hines Park in Plymouth, MI must be getting all the Lincolns and not sharing with anyone else. They have two big lots full of new Lincolns of every variety. Row upon row of MKT's and MKS's. They are also directly across street from Don Massey Cadillac, the number one seller of Cadillacs in nation. Hines Park is smaller, but not by that much.

Do you need more proof that Michigan is not representative of the rest of the nation?

• Like 2

Hey hey, there's a couple lots of Lincolns in forever depression metro Detroit....obviously Lincoln isn't selling.

Yeah, Ford, Lincoln products don't sell very well in Metro Detroit. All the millions of vehicles on Detroit Freeways are Asian vehicles from the 80's with a few Elantras and Reo's mixed in. In the meantime Ford has over 30 dealers in the area and LM has over 17 I believe. They just sit around and play with themselves all day. And the 50,000 Ford employees living in area with even more supplier employees than that don't buy new, they buy VW bugs from the 60's with a few Microbuses thrown in. :shift:

My local LM dealer (Where I get my Fords serviced) has:

6 MkS 2010

4 MkS 2011

11 MkZ 2010

0 MkZ 2011

12 MkX 2010

0 MkX 2011 (Duh!)

10 MkT 2010

0 MkT 2011

7 Milan 2010

15 Mariner 2010

4 Mountaineer 2010

10 Granda Keys 2010

4 Airport Shuttles

0 Navigators

Is that from the website or is it from you counting the vehicles in person? :)

Do you need more proof that Michigan is not representative of the rest of the nation?

You guys are something else. There will be post after post about how my dealer has so many vehicles on lot and nary a word. I post same in my area and you guys get all defensive. Like it or not, this is major area of the United States and if you include major metro areas within about 350 miles like Cleveland, Pittsburgh, Chicago, Toledo, South Bend, and so on your are talking upwards of 40 million people. And btw, it's always been the case that out of staters sometimes come to Metro Detroit dealers to buy their vehicles here. Tremendous competition between dealers here and good deals because of it. And many relatives of Domestic employees come here from out of state to pick up their A and Z plan cars and trucks. Big, big market. Quit being jealous of it.

I'm not sure he was saying that Lincolns aren't selling in Metro Detroit -- he was saying it's getting more than it's share of supply (alright, given his other posts, maybe he wasn't, but I think my point is true). I'd bet anyone here a beer that Metro Detroit sells more Lincolns than any other metro area in the nation.

I'm not sure he was saying that Lincolns aren't selling in Metro Detroit -- he was saying it's getting more than it's share of supply (alright, given his other posts, maybe he wasn't, but I think my point is true). I'd bet anyone here a beer that Metro Detroit sells more Lincolns than any other metro area in the nation.

Gee, I don't know how we could have construed his post to be negative given all his other positive posts recently.............

Sure sounded to me like he was questioning the report that dealers on average did not have many vehicles to sell by using the same old argument that "they do in Michigan".

And even if he wasn't, it's more fun to go with that angle.

I think you are correct. Yeah, it's a distorted market here for Ford and Lincolns. Some guy posting on here from small town, America and two traffic lights has no idea how big the domestic market is here and surrounding metro areas.

Within 2 miles from where I live is a massive Cadillac dealer and LM dealer. Also down street is massive Honda dealer that is open almost 24-7. Even closer is Ford and Chevy dealer and GMC /Buick dealer. Another half mile South is North American Yazaki campus that takes up acres and acres of land and buildings. Half mile North is Bosch campus which is even bigger. And around both areas are literally hundreds of other auto supplier companies testing and buidling auto parts. No other part of country has so much concentrated auto dealers, auto company facilities along with its supplier base. There are industrial parks all over Plymouth Township and Canton filled with auto supplier facilities. Jack Roush alone facilities employ hundreds if not thousands of people close by.

All anyone outside of area wants to do is bash Metro Detroit and MI in general and has no idea or doesn't want to know what is truly here and the scope of it. Just because Detroit doesn't have 13 auto companies anymore in Milwaukee Junction doesn't mean that we are completely wiped out. We are still easily the Motor City and no one else even comes close in this country. Not even remotely second. And the Asians have massive facilities here also. Hyudai for instance does its test mules here and has big research center. I almost see new Hyundai test mules on daily basis. It's all here guys. Get over it.

Is that from the website or is it from you counting the vehicles in person? :)

It's from their website. From past experience that might not be 100% accurate, but I drive by their lot every day and it does seem representative of their stock (Though they may be hiding some grandma keys somewhere, I didn't notice that many on the lot)

You guys are something else. There will be post after post about how my dealer has so many vehicles on lot and nary a word. I post same in my area and you guys get all defensive.

Were these other posts in direct response to an article that claimed Lincoln dealers don't have a lot of inventory right now? Of course not. You have to take it in context.

Yes, Michigan sells a lot of Lincolns. But so do the other 49 states. Michigan has also been hit harder economically the last few years than the rest of the country so it would be natural that they're not selling as many expensive cars as other states.

You're basing your entire argument and business cases on what you see in Michigan while you're totally ignoring what the overall numbers are saying about the market.

Edited by akirby

I think you are correct. Yeah, it's a distorted market here for Ford and Lincolns. Some guy posting on here from small town, America and two traffic lights has no idea how big the domestic market is here and surrounding metro areas.

Within 2 miles from where I live is a massive Cadillac dealer and LM dealer. Also down street is massive Honda dealer that is open almost 24-7. Even closer is Ford and Chevy dealer and GMC /Buick dealer. Another half mile South is North American Yazaki campus that takes up acres and acres of land and buildings. Half mile North is Bosch campus which is even bigger. And around both areas are literally hundreds of other auto supplier companies testing and buidling auto parts. No other part of country has so much concentrated auto dealers, auto company facilities along with its supplier base. There are industrial parks all over Plymouth Township and Canton filled with auto supplier facilities. Jack Roush alone facilities employ hundreds if not thousands of people close by.

All anyone outside of area wants to do is bash Metro Detroit and MI in general and has no idea or doesn't want to know what is truly here and the scope of it. Just because Detroit doesn't have 13 auto companies anymore in Milwaukee Junction doesn't mean that we are completely wiped out. We are still easily the Motor City and no one else even comes close in this country. Not even remotely second. And the Asians have massive facilities here also. Hyudai for instance does its test mules here and has big research center. I almost see new Hyundai test mules on daily basis. It's all here guys. Get over it.

Ok - so what does that have to do with the fact that Lincoln dealers in other parts of the country are running very low on inventory and the factory is planning to increase production to help them?

" Czubay insists Ford's production of Lincoln has been “matching supply to demand.”

At the end of July, Ford's days supply of Lincoln vehicles was just under 70 days, Czubay said. The industry norm is 60 days."

from the article.

Looks to me like they have enough supply. Probably ramping up to cover the loss of Mercury.

It's from their website. From past experience that might not be 100% accurate, but I drive by their lot every day and it does seem representative of their stock (Though they may be hiding some grandma keys somewhere, I didn't notice that many on the lot)

I've noticed in the past that far too often dealer websites don't actually show what they have in stock....and what is shown on website is expected stock often.

Were these other posts in direct response to an article that claimed Lincoln dealers don't have a lot of inventory right now? Of course not. You have to take it in context.

Yes, Michigan sells a lot of Lincolns. But so do the other 51 states. Michigan has also been hit harder economically the last few years than the rest of the country so it would be natural that they're not selling as many expensive cars as other states.

You're basing your entire argument and business cases on what you see in Michigan while you're totally ignoring what the overall numbers are saying about the market.

51 states?

I've noticed in the past that far too often dealer websites don't actually show what they have in stock....and what is shown on website is expected stock often.

That's is true. When the 2005 Mustang first came out, I checked my local dealers stock and it said they had five. In reality, there were none (verified by me). When I asked about it, I was told that all those shown on the website were ordered and expected to be in inventory soon.