2012 focus order guide is up.

So why is the Titanium listed as having a unique sport tuned suspension in the order guide but you can still get the suspension even further modified with the Titanium Handling Pkg? Seems a little redundant. Anyone know the differences?

I think I'm very interested in a Blue Candy Titanium model with the winter pkg and a moonroof. This car has definitley piqued my interest in small cars again.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks svtenthusiast, that answers my question. Sounds like I could downshift a gear or two and hold it as long as I'm going slow enough and not hitting the gas. That would be just fine. I'd still rather row the gears myself in an SEL or Titanium but I'll take what I can get anymore.

Yes. The only time the tranny shifts automatically is if you're going too slow for the engine - it doesn't want the engine to lug so it will downshift. Same when you come to a complete stop. It will not upshift even if it redlines - it will just bounce off the rev limiter. And as long as you aren't going to slow in a high gear it will not downshift automatically either.

It's perfect for holding a lower gear when cornering or descending a hill or for preventing downshifts (within limits) for better FE.

It's not a substitute for a true manual - just gives you more control over the automatic.

For Pete's Sake, they DO offer a manual!

And half of the stuff you can't get on the lower trims, you probably can get aftermarket install, at a lower price than Ford is charging, too. So you are saying, in order to get the manual trans, you'd be willing to take structural changes (add 2 more doors) but refuse to give up some creature comfort such as power seat and push-button start?!

I'll just refer you to svtenthusiast's post. That's A LOT of shit to get installed my friend. Yes, I like my vehicles fully-loaded and yet still a manual trans.

me, I dont like anything telling me what gear and when....so NO types of auto for me, no matter how "good"...well, if I ever stoop to getting a "family' car then perhaps....

I've owned nothing but manual cars, but with the way the market is going, we'll be lucky to seem them in anything besides a Mustang or base model Fiesta's or Foci

I'll just refer you to svtenthusiast's post. That's A LOT of shit to get installed my friend. Yes, I like my vehicles fully-loaded and yet still a manual trans.

See above....its a shame....but from what I understand the DSG can shift faster then a human can with a Manual. But it all depends when those shift points are. I had a Jetta rental a couple years ago and it didn't shift till it was near the redline...was impressed by that and felt it was satificatory for driving. I had a friends G35 and hated the select shift it had on it...I was always fighting with it trying to shift it like a manual.

I've owned nothing but manual cars, but with the way the market is going, we'll be lucky to seem them in anything besides a Mustang or base model Fiesta's or Foci

See above....its a shame....but from what I understand the DSG can shift faster then a human can with a Manual. But it all depends when those shift points are. I had a Jetta rental a couple years ago and it didn't shift till it was near the redline...was impressed by that and felt it was satificatory for driving. I had a friends G35 and hated the select shift it had on it...I was always fighting with it trying to shift it like a manual.

Agreed on all points. Would also like to add that even though DSG may be faster, for me, it's also about the interaction between driver/vehicle. I've also owned nothing but manuals as well.

Agreed on all points. Would also like to add that even though DSG may be faster, for me, it's also about the interaction between driver/vehicle. I've also owned nothing but manuals as well.

I agree, and will only buy a manual for that reason. I would prefer a loaded car also but given the choice between giving up the manual or giving up the extras, I will give up the extras every time. What I don't understand is why Ford does not offer the manual on all trims? Does this somehow save them money? If so how? Is it because the take rate would be so low on the upper trims so they just don't bother, but why lose any sale because of this. Even if there was no dealer stock most customers who wanted a car this way would order it and wait I would think.

I've driven and owned nothing but manuals for the past 13 years, but that's going to change with my next purchase. Why? I'm simply tired of dealing with a clutch pedal during my commute which is often riddled with stop-and-go traffic. Plus my knees just ain't what they used to be. :(

Edited by NickF1011

I agree, and will only buy a manual for that reason. I would prefer a loaded car also but given the choice between giving up the manual or giving up the extras, I will give up the extras every time. What I don't understand is why Ford does not offer the manual on all trims? Does this somehow save them money? If so how? Is it because the take rate would be so low on the upper trims so they just don't bother, but why lose any sale because of this. Even if there was no dealer stock most customers who wanted a car this way would order it and wait I would think.

People who would "only" buy a fully loaded Focus with a manual are the people Ford wants to buy an ST. Everyone else is going to be thrilled with the DCT.

People who would "only" buy a fully loaded Focus with a manual are the people Ford wants to buy an ST. Everyone else is going to be thrilled with the DCT.

Good point, I wonder what the price bump will be for the ST. Of course I would prefer my next car to be a loaded mustang gt convertible which I could get loaded with a stick. But in all reality the Focus se with sport package and manual is probably way more financially realistic!

I too am upset that they won't offer the third pedal in SEL or Titanium trim. The auto is supposed to get better mileage, and the ST is manual only. So now I am stuck between: Loaded Titanium or ST. I would trade a remote start for a manual trans any day. However, I'm afraid the ST might appear to be too boy-racer-ish. I might have to wait to see one in a dark color to decide.

Does it really cost that much more to offer 2 trannys in the higher trims? I'd imagine that's why they don't, but I'm having trouble imagining why...

Good point, I wonder what the price bump will be for the ST. Of course I would prefer my next car to be a loaded mustang gt convertible which I could get loaded with a stick. But in all reality the Focus se with sport package and manual is probably way more financially realistic!

Unfortunately, according to the order guide, the SE with the sport package requires the DSG.

Unfortunately, according to the order guide, the SE with the sport package requires the DSG.

StevenCaylor, I think you are referring to the statement "Note: SelectShift™ Requires automatic transmission (44W)". The way I interpreted it is that in order to get the SelectShift feature (which is otherwise NOT available on the SE grade), the automatic tranny (DSG) must be specified. The manual transmission is still standard with the SE Sport Package.

It's similar to the situation with tthe 2011 Fusion SE with Appearance Package 14C or 14X: in order to get SelectShift with the 4 cylinder engine (which is otherwise not offered on 4 cylinder Fusions), one needs to order the automatic tranny. But the standard transmission on the Fusion SE w/14C or 14X is still a 6-speed manual.

Edited by aneekr

StevenCaylor, I think you are referring to the statement "Note: SelectShift™ Requires automatic transmission (44W)". The way I interpreted it is that in order to get the SelectShift feature (which is otherwise available on the SE grade), the automatic tranny (DSG) must be specified. The manual transmission is still standard with the SE Sport Package.

It's similar to the situation with tthe 2011 Fusion SE with Appearance Package 14C or 14X: in order to get SelectShift with the 4 cylinder engine (which is otherwise not offered on 4 cylinder Fusions), one needs to order the automatic tranny. But the standard transmission on the Fusion SE w/14C or 14X is still a 6-speed manual.

I have to disagree with that theory. I think they are telling you that the sport pkg comes with SelectShift no matter what and because of that you are getting the 44W too. I could be wrong but that's how I'm reading it.

I have to disagree with that theory. I think they are telling you that the sport pkg comes with SelectShift no matter what and because of that you are getting the 44W too. I could be wrong but that's how I'm reading it.

Nope. If that was the case then it would show the 44W auto tranny as a standard part of the package. What they're telling you is if you have the automatic then you also get selectshift with the SE sport package. If you just have the manual then you obviously won't get selectshift.

I read it just like akirby. SelectShift comes with the package if you get the Auto. Otherwise the package would specify it came with auto.

Nope. If that was the case then it would show the 44W auto tranny as a standard part of the package. What they're telling you is if you have the automatic then you also get selectshift with the SE sport package. If you just have the manual then you obviously won't get selectshift.

I still don't buy that. I think they are telling you that you are getting SelectShift and PowerShift no matter what when you opt for the sport pkg. Otherwise there should be a price difference for a sport pkg with the MTX and one with the ATX because you are ultimately getting more if you have an ATX even if it's just a rocker button on the shifter and some software.

I see where you guys are coming from though and I truly hope that I am wrong.

I still don't buy that. I think they are telling you that you are getting SelectShift and PowerShift no matter what when you opt for the sport pkg. Otherwise there should be a price difference for a sport pkg with the MTX and one with the ATX because you are ultimately getting more if you have an ATX even if it's just a rocker button on the shifter and some software.

I see where you guys are coming from though and I truly hope that I am wrong.

So why don't they say that the automatic transmission is included in the package like they do for everything else? There is no other logical explanation. They want you to know that you get SelectShift as part of the Sport package, but only if you get the automatic transmission.

The prices do not seem to be listed for the Sport package.

Also, notice this difference between the Sport package and Super Fuel Economy package:

Sport package: "SelectShift Requires Automatic Transmission (44W)"

Super Fuel Economy package: "Package requires Automatic Transmission (44W)"

Also, notice this difference between the Sport package and Super Fuel Economy package:

Bingo!

No, that's not "Bingo". All that tells you is that you are required to get 44W sans SelectShift with the SFE pkg. The sport pkg is telling you that you are gettting SelectShift with said pkg and because of that you will be required to get 44W too. SelectShift is specifically listed as being included in the sport pkg on the SE and that says to me that you are getting it along with the required 44W auto tranny. If SelectShift were optional on the sport pkg then why doesn't it note that too?

SelectShift is a seperate option from 44W and if you do want it they are telling you that you need to get 44W too or else you can't have it.

The prices aren't listed yet but there is only one sport pkg listed. If there were going to be two prices there would be two sport pkgs listed IMO.

If SelectShift were optional on the sport pkg then why doesn't it note that too?

SelectShift is a seperate option from 44W and if you do want it they are telling you that you need to get 44W too or else you can't have it.

SelectShift is standard on the Sport PKG but only if you get the Automatic Trans, because it's not applicable to the manual.

There is no other way to show it.

You can get the sport pkg with manual or you can get the sport pkg with automatic and selectshift. Those are the choices.

You're the only one that can't grasp it.

If SelectShift were optional on the sport pkg then why doesn't it note that too?

It does, by saying that SelectShift requires the automatic. It's not optional in the sense that you get to choose it. It's optional because the automatic is optional.

Once again - if the package REQUIRED the automatic tranny then it would list both the automatic and the selectshift as standard features of the sport package.

SelectShift is standard on the Sport PKG but only if you get the Automatic Trans, because it's not applicable to the manual.

There is no other way to show it.

You can get the sport pkg with manual or you can get the sport pkg with automatic and selectshift. Those are the choices.

You're the only one that can't grasp it.

No, I do grasp what you and others are saying. I'm just not taking it as fact yet until it is more clear for two main reasons. One, what is stated on that preliminary order guide can be read two ways, and two, auto transmissions are becoming the norm so don't be surprised if they do in fact limit the availability of the manual transmission as much as possible especially when you choose a package which a higher trim that requires an auto tranny has too. The fewer variations there are on the production line the more efficient that line is. Like requiring all sport pkg wearing Focus trims to run with an auto transmission possibly making production less complicated and more efficient.

An SE with a manual tranny, sport pkg, winter pkg, moonroof, convenience pkg, and MyFord/SYNC pkg sounds mighty appealing to me. So again, I hope I'm wrong and I won't believe it until I see it nor will I tell others that it's set in stone either.