Another New 2011 Edge Owner

Guess I can expect the same problem then.

The Sync Support guy said that the problem was erratic. I didn't bother to ask if he meant that it worked sometimes or if he meant that it only worked with some iPhones (running iOS4) and not others. When you pick up your MKX, give it a shot and let me know if you have any luck.

Looks great and the colour is very nice. Can anyone tell the difference between the i-VCT 3.5 and the Ti-VCT? I took a Edge Sport out and it had lots of guts. The 2009 Edge I drove 2 summers ago was pretty good power-wise, but the 3.7 is amazing!

Looks great and the colour is very nice. Can anyone tell the difference between the i-VCT 3.5 and the Ti-VCT? I took a Edge Sport out and it had lots of guts. The 2009 Edge I drove 2 summers ago was pretty good power-wise, but the 3.7 is amazing!

After driving a 2011 SEL back-to-back with my 2011 Sport, it really was night and day as far as performance. I've never driven a pre-2011, but I can only imagine even the base 3.5 would feel much stronger.

I drove a 2007 3.5L MKX for 3 years and the 3.7 in my 2011 is significantly more powerful, a badly needed change! The only thing I'm not loving is the much firmer ride, thanks partly to the 20" wheels, but consequently I get a MUCH better handling car. The 2007 MKX was smooth, but handled as badly as a Town Car.

Edited by BORG

I drove a 2007 3.5L MKX for 3 years and the 3.7 in my 2011 is significantly more powerful, a badly needed change! The only thing I'm not loving is the much firmer ride, thanks partly to the 20" wheels, but consequently I get a MUCH better handling car. The 2007 MKX was smooth, but handled as badly as a Town Car.

I can only imagine the ride in my Sport is firmer than it is in the MKX, and it doesn't seem overly firm to me at all. Of course, I've always been one to prefer a bit more compliance from the suspension of my vehicles. It certainly isn't harsh by any means though.

• 2 weeks later...

Update on my Sync issues:

Sync does not transmit audio over bluetooth. Accessing Sync Services will initiate a call from my iPhone to Sync Services, but you don't hear anything. If you switch the audio from bluetooth to the phone (or the phone's speaker phone option), you can hear and respond to Sync. Switch back to bluetooth and all audio stops.

You cannot make a hand-free phone call either. Well, you can make the call using voice commands. You just can't hear the person you called and they can't hear you unless you go into privacy mode.

I updated my wife's phone to iOS 4.2.1, deleted it from Sync, and re-paired it. I am still getting the same results. I also tried it with a friend's Blackberry Storm. It didn't work, I guess I'll make a trip to the dealer this week.

Sorry to hear about your Sync issues. Hopefully your dealer can get the issue sorted out in short time.

I experienced my first incoming call on Sync last night and it worked flawlessly with my Droid. On another note though, the USB connection does not recognize the Droid. No big deal though. It still works as a charging port, which is all I wanted it for. I don't store any media on my phone anyway.

Edited by NickF1011

Sorry to hear about your Sync issues. Hopefully your dealer can get the issue sorted out in short time.

I experienced my first incoming call on Sync last night and it worked flawlessly with my Droid. On another note though, the USB connection does not recognize the Droid. No big deal though. It still works as a charging port, which is all I wanted it for. I don't store any media on my phone anyway.

I am kind of anxious to get it fixed. My biggest problem is that I have been working a lot of overtime, so I won't be able to take it to the dealer until Friday.

I'm not having any USB port issues. Hopefully, they can fix the bluetooth issues Friday.

I am kind of anxious to get it fixed. My biggest problem is that I have been working a lot of overtime, so I won't be able to take it to the dealer until Friday.

I'm not having any USB port issues. Hopefully, they can fix the bluetooth issues Friday.

Well, I don't think it is necessarily a USB port issue as much as it is a phone incompatibilty issue. The car sees the device just fine when it is connected, it just can't do anything with it other than charge it.

Did you make sure the phone volume is up all the way? Sometimes there are seperate volume levels on a phone: phone to your ear volume, speakerphone volume, bluetooth volume. Try this. Call your wife using sync. When you know the call is going through, try adjusting the volume on your phone.

Hope this fixes it for you and you don't have to make a trip back to the dealer.

Did you make sure the phone volume is up all the way? Sometimes there are seperate volume levels on a phone: phone to your ear volume, speakerphone volume, bluetooth volume. Try this. Call your wife using sync. When you know the call is going through, try adjusting the volume on your phone.

Hope this fixes it for you and you don't have to make a trip back to the dealer.

Eh, probably won't help. Phone volume is entirely independent from the bluetooth volume on every phone I've ever used.

I saw this suggestion on another forum, but it didn't help. Since I get the same problem with three different phone (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and Blackberry Storm), I don't think it is related to the phone. Hopefully, it is an easy fix.

If I have time, I may pull fuse 29. That seems to fix some issues.

I saw this suggestion on another forum, but it didn't help. Since I get the same problem with three different phone (iPhone 3GS, iPhone 4, and Blackberry Storm), I don't think it is related to the phone. Hopefully, it is an easy fix.

If I have time, I may pull fuse 29. That seems to fix some issues.

From what I've seen reading some of the Sync forums, Sync generally disagrees with iPhones and especially Blackberries. I have a Blackberry Bold for work in addition to my Droid for personal use. Perhaps I'll mess around with that and see if I can duplicate any of the symptoms you are having.

From what I've seen reading some of the Sync forums, Sync generally disagrees with iPhones and especially Blackberries. I have a Blackberry Bold for work in addition to my Droid for personal use. Perhaps I'll mess around with that and see if I can duplicate any of the symptoms you are having.

I'd be interested in hearing the results with your Blackberry.

It seems there were a lot of issues with the iPhone when iOS 4 came out. Some seem to have been resolved. I believe Borg mentioned that he had an iPhone and was not having any problems.

Yes, I don't have any issues with my iPhone 4 beyond the fact it doesn't support some of the latest features on the MyFord Touch system, such as true bluetooth media syncing and control. This is a known issue between Apple and Ford. Apple has to supply a chip to Ford to make this work and it won't be available until later this year. So for now, all I can do is play, pause, and shuttle.

I have an iPod permanently hooked up to my USB port so I have my entire music collection at my beck and call, but nothing quite beats the slickness of wireless.

MyFord Touch is extremely buggy, I have encountered countless bugs in this system in less than two weeks of use. I probably should start keeing a list of them. My favorite bug is related to the back-up camera, lots of strange things happening there, seems to be something new everyday. My favorite is when you put it into reverse, and the previous backup camera image is still there (wait, am I at work or home?). More stuff with the backup camera; the screen will randombly go black for a second while in reverse because it needs to overlay text (lag?). Otherse are just REALLY annoying, such as the times when my car starts with my USB audio on instead of the Radio (where it was left at when last used). Also, when you call up the weather map, it resets the Navigation map to full-state mode instead of the previous zoom and map view level (GRR!!!). Most of the other problems are related to the extremely nasty lag in the system, especially when first starting the car. The climate controls on the screen can be very laggy, pressing the steering and seat heater controls often means waiting a second for them to 'beep' and animate, and you aren't always successful. Voice command can occassionally lag as well. Sometimes pressing the sync button brings you silence for a few secons, and then you hear the chime and then it only gives you a second to respond before you time out.

I know I sound like I hate the system, but I actually really like it, but it is NOT ready for primetime. They need to send this back for refinment, I am hoping a firmware update is in the works...but somehow I doubt the lag will be fixed. It just goes to show you that Ford is not a software company and doesn't really know what it's doing in this space, I've honestly never seen software this buggy in my life of consuming and working with technology, the Sync team needs a serious overhaul, especially when working in automotive where safety is key and this level of buggyness is extremely hazardous and distracting. There is absolutely no reason for this, it's one thing to design a system, it's another to make sure it works within expectations.

Edited by BORG

MyFord Touch is extremely buggy, I have encountered countless bugs in this system in less than two weeks of use. I probably should start keeing a list of them.

They need to send this back for refinment, I am hoping a firmware update is in the works...but somehow I doubt the lag will be fixed. It just goes to show you that Ford is not a software company and doesn't really know what it's doing in this space, I've honestly never seen software this buggy in my life of consuming and working with technology, the Sync team needs a serious overhaul, especially when working in automotive where safety is key and this level of buggyness is extremely hazardous and distracting. There is absolutely no reason for this, it's one thing to design a system, it's another to make sure it works within expectations.

It's worse than that - in some vehicles the system stops working altogether - no music, no radio, nothing. This is just Ford making the same mistakes that all software companies make at some point which is to release something WAY before it's ready for prime time.

Word is an update is being distributed to dealers as we speak but no word on how much it fixes. This will be an ongoing series of bug fixes and software updates for at least the next year or so. That's the price for bleeding edge technology.

It's worse than that - in some vehicles the system stops working altogether - no music, no radio, nothing. This is just Ford making the same mistakes that all software companies make at some point which is to release something WAY before it's ready for prime time.

Word is an update is being distributed to dealers as we speak but no word on how much it fixes. This will be an ongoing series of bug fixes and software updates for at least the next year or so. That's the price for bleeding edge technology.

I'm hoping Ford doesn't get a black eye for this. They have so much going for them, and releasing this too early (as it sounds like they may have) could hurt them. I'm sure the group working on MFT is working OT to get fixes out ASAP!

I'm hoping Ford doesn't get a black eye for this. They have so much going for them, and releasing this too early (as it sounds like they may have) could hurt them. I'm sure the group working on MFT is working OT to get fixes out ASAP!

From what I understand they have huge teams of developers from both Ford and Microsoft working on it but the bug list is also huge - I've heard 1500 at one point.

Fortunately this doesn't seem to be widespread - some folks are having no issues and others only minor issues. But the ones with major issues are screaming to high heaven.

If the latest release fixes the major problems then they'll be ok. If not it could get ugly. Every company has to get burned like this before they realize that it's better to wait.

From what I understand they have huge teams of developers from both Ford and Microsoft working on it but the bug list is also huge - I've heard 1500 at one point.

Fortunately this doesn't seem to be widespread - some folks are having no issues and others only minor issues. But the ones with major issues are screaming to high heaven.

If the latest release fixes the major problems then they'll be ok. If not it could get ugly. Every company has to get burned like this before they realize that it's better to wait.

What happened to just driving the vehicle and enjoying the moment of movement and solitude in an enclosed box. No wonder distractions are now the leading cause of collisions. Drivers now are doing everything but paying attention to the road and their vehicle. If you don't keep it simple, these manufacturers are eventually going to be bitten in the ass big time. I hope it's not Ford first, but the way they are throwing distracting technology into their new vehicles, it makes you wonder. Toyota's SA problems could be minor compared to the downside of what could happen with Ford's leap into technology on their vehicles.

Ahh, the best bugs to fix...those that don't happen to everyone! :) But yes, they need to get the major issues out of the way first, and hopefully they can get that done quickly.

What happened to just driving the vehicle and enjoying the moment of movement and solitude in an enclosed box. No wonder distractions are now the leading cause of collisions. Drivers now are doing everything but paying attention to the road and their vehicle. If you don't keep it simple, these manufacturers are eventually going to be bitten in the ass big time. I hope it's not Ford first, but the way they are throwing distracting technology into their new vehicles, it makes you wonder. Toyota's SA problems could be minor compared to the downside of what could happen with Ford's leap into technology on their vehicles.

Honestly, the way Ford is integrating voice commands into everything, I think Ford is ahead of the game at reducing distractions.