Ford Fiesta (why it isn't selling)

For the sizes of the B and C segment, I say no to coupes for now. You need to sell the lack of a better term: Pedestrian versions of sedans and 5 DR HB at a profit before the 3 dr performance editions come out. Besides, this is pretty much par for the course for FORD thus far.

As previously mentioned, Fiesta will not sell an abundance of numbers due to competition. Neither will Focus for that matter.

For the sizes of the B and C segment, I say no to coupes for now.

Well, it's not all about North America. Elsewhere, 2-dr hatchbacks sell in numbers that are sufficient that VW has the Golf GTI, plus the Audi TT, as well as other companies like Peugeot and Renault, who also have similar product.

So, while we may not see one in North America, there will be at least 1 C-size coupe or hatch for everywhere else. :)

Well, it's not all about North America. Elsewhere, 2-dr hatchbacks sell in numbers that are sufficient that VW has the Golf GTI, plus the Audi TT, as well as other companies like Peugeot and Renault, who also have similar product.

So, while we may not see one in North America, there will be at least 1 C-size coupe or hatch for everywhere else. :)

Yes, of course, good point.

congrats, I LOVE mine, and since I hit 5k and had the first oil change, my 34 average has jumped substantially........( 5 speed, apparently the auto gets better )....heres a great mod, google Ultragauge.....

59.95 for Ultragauge. I book marked it, I'll read up later.

After all the comments I got from people I work with its pretty clear that the people I know and work with are not ready for "premium subcompacts". Multiple people thought it costs under 10k and when i told them 16k they were shocked. Everyone thought it was too small. The females think its cute. Wife hates the tranny. "Its too jerky when you are going slow" She doesn't understand the dry automatic clutch's.

I think it drives like a go kart, sits like a go cart, has a great stereo and maintains all the Sync functions that I'm used too. Kick ass.

Unfortunately, as is more often the case with me lately, I'm in that minority group that Ford just doesn't need to worry about at the moment. I want a coupe or 3-door hatch version of either Fiesta or Focus. I was going to be looking for a new daily driver/work/winter car come Spring, and I wanted a well-loaded coupe with a 4-cylinder/manual trans. I had never heard of the Fiesta coming as a either a coupe or 3-door, but I held-out hope. It didn't happen. Then I thought maybe I'd get lucky with the Focus, but alas, again not so. Then, as I posted on here awhile back, I was even thinking (begrudgingly) of conceding on the coupe aspect of my purchase to get a Focus, but the Focus then got me with the manual trans availability only being on the lower-to-mid-lower ends of the trim level spectrum. Then the Focus ST showed-up on show stands. But it's 5-door, probably going to be more inline with WRX pricing, and, to be honest, I hate what they did to the front fascia on that car.

I've resigned to the fact that to get what I want, it probably just ain't gonna be a Ford. That's left me with 3 choices in the coupe department; Honda, Scion, & Kia. (I thought about Mini, but to get the "loaded" part of the equation, $$$).

Needless to say, I'll be at the Detroit Show to check out the Honda Civic and Hyundai Veloster concepts.

Edited by OHV 16V

Needless to say, I'll be at the Detroit Show to check out the Honda Civic and Hyundai Veloster concepts real deals.

Just on the QT, I think the Veloster will be epic... A class that Ford should REALLY be looking into for at least the Eurasian markets - maybe even just bite the bullet and sell an initial small number (say 5,000) in the U.S. just to gauge interest before, surprise, surprise, California snaps them all up! :D

Edited by Aussie_Ford

Ford Motor Co.'s Fiesta is in a traditionally low-margin segment but profits are being boosted by consumers opting for the higher-end versions of the new small car

The basic Fiesta S sedan accounts for only 7% of Ford Fiesta's US sales

According to Sam De La Garza, brand manager for Fiesta, Ford had predicted that 15% of buyers would choose the basic Fiesta S sedan

The profits reaped from Fiesta mean that Ford has made a good bet in focusing on smaller cars after years of relying on pickup trucks and sport utility vehicles in its domestic market

Also, contrary to past trends in the American auto industry, the 5-door hatchback models have become the primary choice, accounting for 60% of the 2011 Fiesta sales thus far. ( Among other models offered in America with the option of a sedan and hatchback, there is just an 8.3% take rate of the 5-door hatchback models so the ratio of 4-door to 5-door models for the new Fiesta is unlike any other model on the market right now.)

Leather seats have been chosen on more than half of the Fiestas sold and just shy of 50% have opted for heated seats

Almost 80% of 2011 Fiesta buyers have selected keyless entry and push button start

Ford’s SYNC system has been fitted to 80% of the units sold and roughly the same number of Fiesta’s have come equipped with the premium six-speaker system. Also, more than half of the Fiesta’s sold have been ordered with Sirius Satellite Radio.

IMO the car journalists should be writing articles titled "How Fords new small car Fiesta is helping to redefine the compact car segment" and shutting up the naysayers that said you cannot make a profit on small cars in the U.S.A.

ford-graphic.jpg?w=210&h=84

Sources - http://www.examiner.com/autos-in-detroit/ford-announces-early-success-of-the-2011-fiesta-hatchback?render=print

http://www.4wheelsnews.com/2011-ford-fiesta-buyers-in-the-us-are-seeking-high-end-options-report-says/

Edited by MKII

59.95 for Ultragauge. I book marked it, I'll read up later.

After all the comments I got from people I work with its pretty clear that the people I know and work with are not ready for "premium subcompacts". Multiple people thought it costs under 10k and when i told them 16k they were shocked. Everyone thought it was too small. The females think its cute. Wife hates the tranny. "Its too jerky when you are going slow" She doesn't understand the dry automatic clutch's.

I think it drives like a go kart, sits like a go cart, has a great stereo and maintains all the Sync functions that I'm used too. Kick ass.

pffffffffffffffft, get back to the people that thought it cost under 10k, ask them 2 questions, when was the last time they actually bought a new car, and get them to make a list of all the sub 10k cars avail new to the public....then proceed to laugh your ass off and scrape egg from co-workers faces......

yep, concept drawing was posted here some time back, looked terrific....BUT, it was just a drawing...

There's so much 'noise' around this in Europe, I think there's much more than just a drawing going on. As to whether or not we'll get it in the U.S., who knows? I think it's just about a cinch that there will be Focus coupe for other global markets, we just have to hope we'll get the Capri here too.

There's so much 'noise' around this in Europe, I think there's much more than just a drawing going on. As to whether or not we'll get it in the U.S., who knows? I think it's just about a cinch that there will be Focus coupe for other global markets, we just have to hope we'll get the Capri here too.

I do too...and nice thing is, where theres smoke ( noise ) theres usually fire....