Ford Regains No2 Ranking

whats the purpose of a teaser paragraph...if your interested in the title, you click it. Unless maybe your connection speed is slow and wanting to see what it is about, because clicking it and causing you computer to take a long time to load?

Agree with you and Richard. I for one think it's perfectly clear what the topic is about and I don't agree with the criticism from mettech.

It's not a big deal, I'm going to click it anyway. But it is nice to open a thread and get the "gist" of it from a quick paragraph so you can decide to either click or not.

Most times unless it's something I'n really interested in I won't click "here" or "link".

Maybe I'm just lazy..... :reading:

Absolutely great news, Ford USA on a roll. Probably one of the best market share gain performances anywhere in the world as it must be one of the toughest markets in the world to gain such a large proportion market share as it is an established market.

To big thumbs up to Big Al & all the crew Stateside and the awesome F-Series that always hovers around 50,000 sales every month, everybody needs to stay Focused on Quality as No1 goal & getting it right first time then Ford will cruze to the No1 spot not just in quantity but with high yield profits like Apple.

Its been great watching Ford USA turn their fortunes around Stateside from this side of the pond.

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I remember a Bill Ford Jr quote from back in 2007 when asked: Have you conceded to Toyota? He replied: We have conceded nothing to Toyota.

Not sure if it was an interview I saw on the news or that big Time Magazine write up with Bill Ford on the cover. But I do remember him predicting a comeback. He now reigns in smack talk history with the likes of General Douglas McArthur and Joe Namath...

It's not a big deal, I'm going to click it anyway. But it is nice to open a thread and get the "gist" of it from a quick paragraph so you can decide to either click or not.

Most times unless it's something I'n really interested in I won't click "here" or "link".

Maybe I'm just lazy..... :reading:

I figure the topic title is enough to decide whether to click on the link.

However, for accessibility purposes, the link text should describe what it goes to. So all you people leaving the link as "My link" are screwing over all the blind people visiting the site :)

When I hover over the link (at least in my browser--Safari), it gives me the full link at the bottom of the window.

That's been true of every browser I've used since Lynx. Unfortunately, it's rarely enough to determine the content on the destination page.

Ford's market share has increased about 15% over the past 2 years.

That's pretty darn impressive.

It's the type of market share in relation to what others were doing. While the rest of the market was shrinking, Ford was able to keep more of its buyers but also converted them to buying value added models at higher prices. F truck will go past 500,000 sales this year, it it jumps back up to near 600,000 that will take a lot of financial pressure off Ford.

Now, if they want to keep it, they need to keep the product innovation coming. Hyundai, frankly, has been just cleaning up. A lot of things Ford was going to do or seemed to be leading in, Hyundai has been beating them at (Sonata powertrains, 40 mpg Elantra).

The question is how much they'll be able to iterate on key parts of their line-up like the Fusion, which isn't due to be replaced for almost 2 years; the Fusion's core engine - the 2.5 - which is now quite far behind Hyundai's 2.4 and likely to be behind Honda's 2.4 and Toyota's 2.5 in 2012 if there is no improvement; the rollout of Ecoboost; the Fiesta; the D platform vehicles; and the Super Duty.

I must say, though, that I like how lean Ford's line-up has become. By this time next year, they will have only 20 nameplates in the US. Much easier to spread around the marketing and development dollars. That will help so much when it comes to getting the word out on these products.

The question is how much they'll be able to iterate on key parts of their line-up like the Fusion, which isn't due to be replaced for almost 2 years; the Fusion's core engine - the 2.5 - which is now quite far behind Hyundai's 2.4 and likely to be behind Honda's 2.4 and Toyota's 2.5 in 2012 if there is no improvement; the rollout of Ecoboost; the Fiesta; the D platform vehicles; and the Super Duty.

Huh, I hadn't seen the specs on the Sonata's 2.4 before

Fusion: 2.5L, 22/32 mpg, 175hp@6000RPM, 172ft-lbs@4500RPM, 3285LBS

Sonata: 2.4L, 24/35 mpg, 198hp@6300RPM, 184ft-lbs@4250RPM, 3161LBS, same or larger in all interior dimensions

Definitely respectable... though of course the engine is but one component of one's car buying decision...

Edited by Noah Harbinger

Huh, I hadn't seen the specs on the Sonata's 2.4 before

Fusion: 2.5L, 22/32 mpg, 175hp@6000RPM, 172ft-lbs@4500RPM, 3285LBS

Sonata: 2.4L, 24/35 mpg, 198hp@6300RPM, 184ft-lbs@4250RPM, 3161LBS, same or larger in all interior dimensions

Definitely respectable... though of course the engine is but one component of one's car buying decision...

Sounds like Ford needs to add GDI to the Fusion like they did with the Focus. Figure that would put the hp at around 200 and boost fuel economy by a few MPGs/