Toyota's biggest problem: Aging lineup

silvrsvt

Amazing how fast car brands can wind up "In the Barrel" when the stupid things they've done catch up to them. If you said this 5 years ago, people would have laughed at you.

Ho hum cars are "probably the worst problem for them," says Jessica Caldwell, director of pricing and industry analysis for Edmunds.com. "They always had their (safety) reputation to fall back on, but now that's not the case."

http://finance.yahoo.com/news/Toyotas-biggest-problem-Aging-apf-2730135248.html?x=0

Saw a somewhat funny site in my rearview mirror the other day:

I was driving down Rt 50 through Annapolis, which is 3 lanes in both directions (oh how I wish it was 5!!) and there was a silver Corolla of similar vintage in each lane, all of which appeared to be the same trim level. Nothing reinforces the Toyota "appliance" reputation more than sights like this.

Saw a somewhat funny site in my rearview mirror the other day:

I was driving down Rt 50 through Annapolis, which is 3 lanes in both directions (oh how I wish it was 5!!) and there was a silver Corolla of similar vintage in each lane, all of which appeared to be the same trim level. Nothing reinforces the Toyota "appliance" reputation more than sights like this.

No doubt all driving the same speed, too.

Corollas and Camrys are now the 'slow poke' cars on highways. :censored: New Buicks are for younger, under 60 buyers who move with traffic flow.

Older people now buy Toyotas out of fear, and poke along. And middle aged Toyota buyers are the 'I hate to drive' types, who get lost easily, slowly merge/accelerate, and block left lanes.

Edited by 630land
  • Like 1

Not only are they aging and dull but they are behind the times too aparently. Take for example the commercial I saw on TV last night advertising the Tundra and 4Runner. Focusing on the 4Runner portion, they started off by saying it was the 4th or 5th (I can't remember exactly) gen and all new. The thing that got me is that one of their selling points for this new 4Runner is that it now has a fold-flat second row seat. Well welcome to 1999 Toyota! Seriously, are they that far behind in interior design and features right now? What else does this thing now have that it should have had 5 or 10 years ago.

Another thing that gets me about it is how much a new 4Runner costs. It's crazy that they charge you that much money for one just because it can go off-road which no one does anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, the good thing about Toyota's issues (at least for consumers) is that the resulting rebates push Ford into offering the same. Which is great when you are looking to get up to $5250 in rebates on a new 2011 F150, depending on your location.

Edited by jrbdmb

Well, the good thing about Toyota's issues (at least for consumers) is that the resulting rebates push Ford into offering the same. Which is great when you are looking to get up to $5250 in rebates on a new 2011 F150, depending on your location.

Seems like its hurting Toyota more then Ford...who had a increase in sales and who had a decrese in sales last year? I don't think the less then 100K sales of the Tundra is seriously putting a dent in the 400K + plus sales of the F-series.

I've been looking at 2wd XLTs, FX2s and Lariats and the rebates were usually $1000 and never more than $2500. Where did you see $5250?

• 2 months later...

Not only are they aging and dull but they are behind the times too aparently. Take for example the commercial I saw on TV last night advertising the Tundra and 4Runner. Focusing on the 4Runner portion, they started off by saying it was the 4th or 5th (I can't remember exactly) gen and all new. The thing that got me is that one of their selling points for this new 4Runner is that it now has a fold-flat second row seat. Well welcome to 1999 Toyota! Seriously, are they that far behind in interior design and features right now? What else does this thing now have that it should have had 5 or 10 years ago.

Another thing that gets me about it is how much a new 4Runner costs. It's crazy that they charge you that much money for one just because it can go off-road which no one does anyway.

I agree. However, don't expect Toyota to take this lying down. They are getting beat from all different directions, including the NHTSA. Safety now has its very own question mark even though the US government vindicated them on the accelleration issue. This is no different then someone accusing you of stealing money even though there is no evidence. It's all stigma.

I do expect Toyota to mimic their competition in just about every way. I guess we'll wait until 2014>> http://www.autoblog.com/2010/07/27/report-toyota-to-kill-sequoia-tundra-redesigned-in-2014/

I agree. However, don't expect Toyota to take this lying down.

Really?

I dont see any indication from Toyota that they have a plan to dig themselves out of their hole. What is the long term plan? Make Prius a separate brand like Scion? WTF? Corolla and Camry are dangerously boring causing drivers to fall asleep behind the wheel.

Rebates for the XLT model briefly hit $5,250 at the beginning of March if you didn't use Ford credit and got the $750 coupon. They only lasted about a week.

I bought a 1999 Toyota in 2004 after hearing for years how great they are - also, my dad made me (Helped with the downpayment). Anyway, it did break les "convenience" options than the rebuilt/salvage title Chevy lumina I had been driving - but it broke more things that I considered important! Yes, the Toyota kept its power windows working the entire time I had it. The Chevy would break them on a yearly basis.

The Chevy never had a steering issue! The Toyota had a failed U-joint in the steering column that almost made it impossible to turn... I'd rather have a broken power window motor than a broken steering column.

Edited by p38fln

Really?

I dont see any indication from Toyota that they have a plan to dig themselves out of their hole. What is the long term plan? Make Prius a separate brand like Scion? WTF? Corolla and Camry are dangerously boring causing drivers to fall asleep behind the wheel.

The problem with answering that question is the I'm not on the executive and marketing team for Toyota. Do you think Russia or China want to know what the US plans are for future weapons? But the rumor mill has 2014 as the year they come out swinging...at a Ford company that's already battle-hardened and well-entrenched on the front lines of truck wars...and winning. And don't forget Chevy and Dodge.

By the time the Corolla is updated, 2014-15?, no one will care. Only die hard owners; old hippies, librarians, urban car-haters, etc will get orgasms about it..."It now has a 6 speed, Toyota is really advancing!'

A few years ago, Toyota was hailed for being ahead, now it's "good enough" for the above 'I hate to drive, but I will only buy a Corolla' crowd.