Auto execs answer our questions... and yours

Ford did explore what more can be done with with the Lincoln LS, its called Jaguar XF, XJ, etc . But it wasn't profittable at Lincolns prices.

I also don't understand with Ford stating the 3.7L would be exclusive to Lincoln when the Mustang and F150 has it. Next Taurus will probably have a 285-295HP version of the 3.5L, but at a certain point in the future, the 3.5L wont be enough, and they'll have to go to the 3.7L, then what? Same with the Edge, then what? Same with the Explorer, then what? The 3.5L will only go so far in power. So I dont see the 3.7L viable as being Lincoln exclusive. Now what Lincoln could have is a 4.0L version of it, and keep that to just Lincoln, but start it now though...

^ there WAS mention of a unique v6 coming for Lincoln

&

I've heard of another Ford 4.0 6 cylnder engine ... now Where was that? :shades:

Can car A legitimately be a rebadge of car B if car A came out a full model year earlier?

since car A would no longer be unique

I'd invoke the associative and reflexive laws

& say that B is undoubtedly a rebadge so both cars are

...sorta like twins delivered separately

Edited by 2b2

since car A would no longer be unique

I'd invoke the associative and reflexive laws

& say that B is undoubtedly a rebadge so both cars are

...sorta like twins delivered separately

You mean "symmetric." Symmetry states that "if a=b, then b=a." Reflexivity states that "a=a." /mathgeekishness :P

Referring to my post, I'll buy that the Taurus (car "B") is a re-skin of the MKS (car "A"). However, I maintain that the MKS is not a Taurus rebadge for chronological reasons, no matter what too many people tend to say...

EDIT: freakin' emoticons...

Edited by papilgee4evaeva

Look at what Ford is trying to emulate with Lincoln....Lexus.

The two best selling Lexus models are nearly mechicanal twins with their "lesser" Toyotas

Makes no sense to hamstring Ford because of Lincoln. All Lincoln needs is better quality materials, its own styling not shared at all with Ford, and some electronic differentiation that isn't on Fords and doesn't cost that much more to incorporate. They can do this by making heated/cooled seats standard, auto HVAC etc etc...but also make these options available on highend Ford products for people who want them

So Lincoln can follow a strategy similar to what Lexus does with the RX and ES. What about the rest of it? Lexus manages to offer the IS line with RWD/AWD, two V6s and a V8, the GS line with RWD/AWD and a V6 and V8, the LS line with RWD/AWD and a V8, and now the LFA with RWD and a V10. Where are the Toyota brand's twins to those? If Lincoln is really chasing Lexus, why stop with the RX and ES? Jim Farley "doesn't believe that Lincoln really needs an up-market luxury car to thrive", but does this mean there's no room for said up-market luxury car at all? Does he think that his former employer was doing more than they needed to in order to be a successful luxury brand?

^ waaaay too logical, MN12Fan ;)

imho what TM has that Ford may lack is wholehearted greed

which can lead to "higher" long term goals

"grasp" "grasp" "grasp"

"reach" "reach" "reach"

You mean "symmetric." Symmetry states that "if a=b, then b=a." Reflexivity states that "a=a." /mathgeekishness :P

Referring to my post, I'll buy that the Taurus (car "B") is a re-skin of the MKS (car "A"). However, I maintain that the MKS is not a Taurus rebadge for chronological reasons, no matter what too many people tend to say...

EDIT: freakin' emoticons...

I don't actually speak 'math' :blush:

(tho I'm fairly fluent is SF spock.gif "yIn taH nI' 'ej chep taH")

re: the MKS/Taurus

I certainly don't know the timing of their development

but feel a lot of it was concurrent & the driving force wasn't overly Lincolnesque

(plus, as some of us know, certain Fords & Lincolns are/were just rebadged MERCURYS - in this case the Sable - that never got built :sigh:)

re: emoticons

usually bolding just the colons works

Edited by 2b2

IMO, if next gen Mustang and Falcon share RWD / AWD engineering, that would open the door for Lincoln

to do its own Jaguar like versions of XK, XF and XJ - Those three on shared RWD platform is doable.

maybe even show Lexus a thing or two about using shared platforms

Edited by jpd80

Auto execs answer our questions... and yours

Q: Any chance mid-sized trucks will stage a comeback to cope with higher fuel economy needs?

A: Not much. Certainly not body-on-frame mid-sized trucks. The Ford Ranger is going away. The Dodge Dakota is going away, according to Chrysler's Marchionne. To compensate, Jeep will have a Wrangler with a flat-bed. And here is an idea we heard kicked around – a new Explorer Sport Trac built off the new Explorer. If it comes to pass, look for the bed design to be a bit more utilitarian than the old one. And Ford's Farley says the company is looking at derivatives of the Transit Connect. Maybe even one that has an open bed.

Transit Truck

So Lincoln can follow a strategy similar to what Lexus does with the RX and ES. What about the rest of it? Lexus manages to offer the IS line with RWD/AWD, two V6s and a V8, the GS line with RWD/AWD and a V6 and V8, the LS line with RWD/AWD and a V8, and now the LFA with RWD and a V10. Where are the Toyota brand's twins to those? If Lincoln is really chasing Lexus, why stop with the RX and ES? Jim Farley "doesn't believe that Lincoln really needs an up-market luxury car to thrive", but does this mean there's no room for said up-market luxury car at all? Does he think that his former employer was doing more than they needed to in order to be a successful luxury brand?

To be fair, those models started as Toyota models in Japan's home market. (The GS started as the Toyota Aristo.) So the did start by badge engineering cars not sold in the NA market. (Lexus was started in Japan in 2005.) So maybe in the future, Ford will do the same when Lincoln matures.

Lets look the numbers:

LS: 12k

SC: 384 (yes 384 units sold last year!)

GS: 7059 (Yes the even MKT even out sold it!)

IS: 34K

ES: 48K

Vs Lincoln's

MKZ: 22K

MKS: 14K

Anyways looking at the numbers (not even mentioning the 800lb Gorilla that the RX is in sales every months) the only big hole is smaller RWD car that could compete with the IS sales...other wise its not worth it...

Lets look the numbers:

Vs Lincoln's

Anyways looking at the numbers (not even mentioning the 800lb Gorilla that the RX is in sales every months) the only big hole is smaller RWD car that could compete with the IS sales...other wise its not worth it...

I agree Lincoln needs a couple of higher volume car lines, especially to fill the space being left by Mercury, but offering anything above this is already ruled out? I just find it strange that with the PAG being gone and Lincoln being Ford's only luxury brand that the company would take such an apparently hardline position of not wanting to develop anything more unique or...to put it bluntly...anything that transcends a Taurus-based MKS. With an IS competitor Lincoln could at least offer something with a sportier foundation, perhaps leading to spiritual successors to the LS and Mark VIII, but where does the platform come from?

Really? Which Mercury had 100% unique sheetmetal? Which Mercury had better materials? Which Mercury had features that Ford won't offer?

Last generation Cougar,last generation Capri. Mariner VOGA. The Mercury Maurauder. ;)

All kidding aside,what I was responding to was a cynical sounding post that stated all Lincoln needs is unique styling & upscale features but not upscale enough that you couldnt option them on a Ford.

Then what in the hell do you need Lincoln for?

Mercury's corpse hasn't gone cold yet and they face the same problem.

Lets look the numbers:

Vs Lincoln's

World wide sales of Mustang and Falcon would almost triple IS sales, I see Ford's current strategy working for respective markets and where's there a real need for a specific car, that need is being met. Asking whether there's a future slot for upgraded platforms for mustang and Falcon is a luxury Ford can explore and decide whether to do or not. The difference is that Ford is not compelled to have RWD Lincolns cars just because a Falcon and Mustang exist.

Once ford starts to reset Lincoln's image they may well need more or different vehicles to what's on offer today, the point being that as the brand evolves, so too do the buyers tastes and expectations of the brand from being a fusty group of stately car to something fashionable and truly luxurious and desirable.

- but how to get there.....

Edited by jpd80

^ there WAS mention of a unique v6 coming for Lincoln

&

I've heard of another Ford 4.0 6 cylnder engine ... now Where was that? :shades:

Nano 2.7 I6/V6, the top of line in the new I 4/5/6 family.

You'll see a small Lincoln way b4 a giant one.

Edited by 03 LS