• D: Poor * *
    • F: Fail *
  2. 2. How do you rate the tagline "Imported from Detroit?"

• A: Excellent * * * * *
    • B: Good * * *
    • C: Average * *
    • D: Poor * *
    • F: Fail *

I like the concept behind the video... I think it would have been much more effective if it featured a 300 instead of a 200. Two minutes worth of Super Bowl airtime to show off a thinly veiled Sebring?

Agree completely - I was NOT expecting the 200 to be the vehicle - I knew it was a Chrysler ad and like you figured it'd feature the new 300, but then the 200 popped up and I was like.......ugh - but I will say that it fit right in with the rest of the Super Bowl ads this year - I thought they all sucked - not one stood out as a really good one. Oh well....

• Like 1

This is the Motor City and this is what we do...what does that mean? You could apply that however you wanted. This is the Motor City and we build cars with Hyundai grilles that nobody wants with shoddy build quality and lousey resale, thats what we do. I guess its no worse than the stupid Ford Focus commercial nobody got, they were asking me if it was a commercial for a car or for a race, I just told them both. Or how about the dumb, Chevy Runs Deep in debt and wants old people to buy Chevys brand new cars that already look 10 years old commercials...Come on, this was the Super Bowl! What happened to good, funny, emotional, meaningful advertising? I'm kind of pissed now, but I think I deserve to be, I watched the Super Bowl for the car commercials and was really expecting more from all of them. I guess Ford had the least to lose seeing as how they didn't spend tons of money advertising during the game, but a commercial ABOUT the upcoming Focus would have been better IMO.

• Like 1

$12M for the air time, and Sergio's bellyaching about 'shyster loans'?

It's a nice commercial for Detroit--a Detroit that's cold, winterbound, and sunless.

And, once again, I *********LOVE************* the shots of the FORD V8 assembly line, as rendered by Diego Rivera for EDSEL FORD.

---

I also love how the whole thing just reeks of the 'nobody believed in us' cliche that is familiar to any sports fan. "It's not the story you've been reading in the papers....."

---

Dagnabbit, know what would've sold me on this two minute hog wallow of navel-gazing? Motown.

If you don't care about Detroit for the cars, you should care about Detroit for Motown. There will probably never be anything like it---you had black and white jazz musicians playing in clubs on nights and weekends, spending days in the basement of an old house making music that sold from coast to coast-------these guys sold more albums than Elvis, the Beatles and the Beach Boys combined, and almost nobody knew who they were---or that there were no color lines down in 'the snake pit', at a time when that was a HUGE issue for the rest of the country.

And the music was so damn upbeat. It is *impossible* to listen to, say, "Higher and Higher" without feeling better about yourself and the world around you. I defy anyone to prove otherwise.....

Instead, we've got this sullen defiant hard little rock of a commercial that says, "we survived in spite of you, you bastards, now buy our cars goddammit."

Edited by RichardJensen
  • Like 1

1:55 into a 2 minute video before you actually know what the commercial is trying to sell. I mean it could have stated "Chrysler" something at the beginning. It too almost the full 2 minutes before you knew they weren't selling the city of Detroit, the next Eminem album, or just wasting 2 minutes listening to a narrator.

Not a "bad" video. But they could have at least started with a two second splash at the beginning, "The new Chrysler" or something.

I like the concept behind the video... I think it would have been much more effective if it featured a 300 instead of a 200. Two minutes worth of Super Bowl airtime to show off a thinly veiled Sebring?

Video I voted as poor. How many people really think Eminem will be caught dead in a 200? Sure he most likely got one for free for shooting the commercial, but that's about as far as I see him going with it. Never really saw the car, was hoping the 300, but ended up the 200. Still is an ugly car and you see why they didn't show much of it off. Commercial sounded more like a "please come visit Detroit" ad than a car ad.

Tagline of "Imported to Detroit = failure in my book.

Edited by V8-X

I liked the add, although I am already someone who is pro-Detroit. I don't know if it was too effective at advertising the the 200 as it didn't really say anything about it. I also think the 300 would have been a much better car as it is has proud American style going for it. I get the feeling that import buyers might feel somewhat insulted by this ad as well. I think it draws a line and divides peope into us and them categories -a "you are either with us or against us" kind of thing.

I still like the video. I viewed it more as an advertisement for Chrysler, not necessarily the 200. Some may whine this ad is junk, but look 2 days later and it's still a buzz all over. Good or bad this ad worked about getting people to talk about chrysler. Who knows, you and your buds may be bad mouthing the commercial and other people may overhear the conversation and go to the website to check it out. Once again mission accomplished. Hell, they may even buy a car, then the ad really did pay off.

getting people to talk about chrysler

yeah, but they'll stop, or they'll find out how bad Chrysler's products and reliability are, and then where are you?

This is like leaving the house with a jacket and tie........... and no pants. Chrysler is just not ready to draw this kind of attention to themselves. They don't stand up to close scrutiny....

And in any event, this will all die down and this summer, people will say 'huh?' when you say, "remember that eminem commercial from the super bowl?"

yeah, but they'll stop, or they'll find out how bad Chrysler's products and reliability are, and then where are you?

This is like leaving the house with a jacket and tie........... and no pants. Chrysler is just not ready to draw this kind of attention to themselves. They don't stand up to close scrutiny....

And in any event, this will all die down and this summer, people will say 'huh?' when you say, "remember that eminem commercial from the super bowl?"

Not to mention the fact that there was 2 Eminem commercials (the other was for Brisk, IIRC).

"we survived in spite of you, you bastards, now buy our cars goddammit."

Richard I think you're on to something. That would make a great campaign. You're right about the difference between this "hard little rock of a commercial" and the Motown of the 60s of course, but that's precisely the difference between Detroit then and Detroit now. Should we be surprised that the media culture reflects the zeitgeist?

The Ad worked

http://www.mainstreet.com/article/small-business/marketing/super-bowl-ads-winners-and-losers

"Chrysler’s message resonated most with viewers. Twitter users posted more than 32,000 tweets related to Chrysler, more than for any other company in the Super Bowl with the exception of Doritos (Stock Quote: PEP). But the feedback from Chrysler-related tweets was more positive than those for any other company on the list, earning it the top spot and pushing Doritos to number two on the list.

The force of Chrysler’s ad was further demonstrated Monday morning as the phrase “Chrysler 200”, the car advertised in the commercial, was the most searched term on Google"

I've thought about that a fair bit---

It is kind of depressing that sullenness has more currency than optimism these days.

Hey, you know my view on things: we screwed the pooch. So here we are. That sullenness has a fair bit of realism in it. Sunshine and rainbows won't carry us back to the top of the hill. Hard work will. And hard work is the source of the blues. The guy I carpool with remarked that he liked that ad. I do too. Not so sure about the car.

Hey, you know my view on things: we screwed the pooch. So here we are. That sullenness has a fair bit of realism in it. Sunshine and rainbows won't carry us back to the top of the hill. Hard work will. And hard work is the source of the blues. The guy I carpool with remarked that he liked that ad. I do too. Not so sure about the car.

There was plenty to be depressed about in Detroit in the 60s too........... Especially if you were black.

Define 'worked'.

Is the ad deemed a success if it was simply the most popular ad to air during the Super Bowl? Did Chrysler spend a reported $9M for the air time, and who-knows-what on the production simply to produce the most popular Super Bowl ad?

How does that translate to sales?

They are launching a new car name - worked by building brand awareness of the car that is new.(to most people they don't know it used to be a Sebring) By the tweets and Google popularity it shows people remembered the name and looked up the vehicle the next day -- to be number one search term on Google in a positive way most companies would pay 9 million for that .People remember it more than the Chevy ads, and they probably spent 9million for all their ads as well. From an Ad perspective Chrysler hit it out of the park with this ad, it will go down as one of the best Superbowl ads of all time.

Edited by jasonj80

From an Ad perspective Chrysler hit it out of the park with this ad, it will go down as one of the best Superbowl ads of all time.

I seriously doubt we'll ever see this commerical again or it even being talked about for years afterwards....its not a Mean Joe Green Coke Commerial at all