2011 Z06 vs. Shelby GT500 vs. 2012 GT-R

I though the GT500 held it's own considering it comes with a $35K price advantage over the winner. The really interesting thing is that the muscle car was very outclassed in a straight line, yet it appeared to hold its own through the corners. I'd like to see how a 750hp blower upgrade and a wider set of rear tires would have affected things.

I though the GT500 held it's own considering it comes with a $35K price advantage over the winner. The really interesting thing is that the muscle car was very outclassed in a straight line, yet it appeared to hold its own through the corners. I'd like to see how a 750hp blower upgrade and a wider set of rear tires would have affected things.

The REALLY important part is bolded...

Alright, Nr9, you've been warned.

You will be banned shortly.

I honestly don't understand what this guy has said in this thread that warrants this kind of reaction. Maybe there's stuff going on in other threads that I'm not following, but banning somebody because they point out the GT-500 is indeed currently Ford's fastest car, and that no it didn't quite keep up with cars that cost a lot more... that's a little over the top no?

When you consider the Covertte weighs only 3200lbs and the GT-R has AWD, it's not that much of a surprise the GT500 lost in the drag race. F=ma right? AWD doubles the maximum amount of power you can put down to the road (not that the GT-R actually HAS double the power), and the difference in m bewteen the Vette and the GT500 is way more than the difference in HP.

Either way, they sum it up really well in the ranking. At $55K, nothing beats the GT500, but if you've got $100K burning a hole in your wallet, you can't deny the other two are quicker. That doesn't say anything about style though!

• Like 1

Just seems like odd decision making (then again, this is MT we're talking about). If the price ceiling is $100K, so no ZR1, why throw in a car that costs half of that ceiling and then say "well it's pretty great, but if you spend a whole lot more you can do better." Why not throw a Shelby Super Snake in?Why no Cayman R? Why not wait a year to do this feature when the Viper is back on sale?

I honestly don't understand what this guy has said in this thread that warrants this kind of reaction. Maybe there's stuff going on in other threads that I'm not following, but banning somebody because they point out the GT-500 is indeed currently Ford's fastest car, and that no it didn't quite keep up with cars that cost a lot more... that's a little over the top no?

He's trolling in other threads.

I'm surprised the GT500 isn't putting up faster trap speeds in the 1/4 mile testing. I know it can't compete against the AWD for ETs without sticky tires, but it is still getting killed in trap speed compared to the Nissan, even though the GT500 has a better power to weight ratio. Trap speeds generally are not affected by traction or lack thereof. I've been seeing ~115mph trap speeds in magazines, but I would expect closer to 120mph. I bet the Camaro ZL1 will put up trap speeds of 120+ based on tests of the supercharged Cadillac using the same engine but the Caddy weighs more. I hope the SVT guys have something up their sleeves.

I'm surprised the GT500 isn't putting up faster trap speeds in the 1/4 mile testing. I know it can't compete against the AWD for ETs without sticky tires, but it is still getting killed in trap speed compared to the Nissan, even though the GT500 has a better power to weight ratio. Trap speeds generally are not affected by traction or lack thereof. I've been seeing ~115mph trap speeds in magazines, but I would expect closer to 120mph. I bet the Camaro ZL1 will put up trap speeds of 120+ based on tests of the supercharged Cadillac using the same engine but the Caddy weighs more. I hope the SVT guys have something up their sleeves.

one of the best times for the GT500 is 11.9@120 on stock tires.

I don't get why Ford chooses to put such a shi!tty tire and slim wheel on the GT500. It's not like the buyer is looking to get 50,000 miles out their tires. They should come stock with Nitto drag radials, Dunlop's or other supreme sport tire. If you pay $50K for a car, life of the tires will be the least of your worries. That car is made to kick ass, why not give it proper tires and rim width to do so :confused: a 10" wheel needs to go on the rear of the GT500 yesterday :angry2:

Edited by Hydro

I don't get why Ford chooses to put such a shi!tty tire and slim wheel on the GT500. It's not like the buyer is looking to get 50,000 miles out their tires. They should come stock with Nitto drag radials, Dunlop's or other supreme sport tire. If you pay $50K for a car, life of the tires will be the least of your worries. That car is made to kick ass, why not give it proper tires and rim width to do so :confused: a 10" wheel needs to go on the rear of the GT500 yesterday :angry2:

Anybody who is "that" serious about racing is going to swap the tires. Sure, different tires would be nice for magazine shootouts, but the real world impact of them in negligible.

Bingo -> Gas Guzzler tax. Wider tires = higher rolling resistance.

Wait for next gen GT500. Mustang goes on a diet, GT-500 can afford to have better rubber for the back. Likely will have a lighter engine up front too...

anyone got stats on the Ford GT? it costs around the same as the vette and nissian, would be more of a match.. mustang is killed by the weight, i know the Gt was pretty light.

Bingo -> Gas Guzzler tax. Wider tires = higher rolling resistance.

Wait for next gen GT500. Mustang goes on a diet, GT-500 can afford to have better rubber for the back. Likely will have a lighter engine up front too...

Better yet, buy a GT500 now, put larger, stickier tires on the rear and take advantage of one of the most bolt-on happy platforms currently offered under any nameplate then go destroy Z06s and GTRs at will.

Just like how you can build a GT500 to kill a Z06, you can build a GT to kill a GT500. I'd like to see a bolt-on GT vs. GT500 shootout.; get a middle of the road Mustang GT with the 3.73 and Brembos then put on the following items:

Ford Racing Supercharger (525hp or 624hp, your choice)

Ford Racing FR3 Suspension

GT500 wheels and tires