2012 Focus Hybrid

There will not be a 2012 Focus Hybrid. There will be a Focus Electric....but no hybrid so far. There will be a Hybrid C-Max ( non-Grand ) as well as an electric version, using the same power-train as the Fusion and Escape. While no Focus hybrid has been announced....I wouldn't be surprised to see one in a year or two.

yeah, I asked about a FocusHybrid on facebook/FordFocus

and they immediately and emphatically said, "Nope"

:,(

so

now I'm hoping for a Lincoln MKE sporty sedanlet that might be (G)C-Max-based for more rear room

& could then maybe take advantage of the Energi drivetrain -- don't see a reason for developing the Energi without having another car(d) up their sleeve to spread the costs onto

+

I seem to remember an Announcement that Lincoln was aiming to be the most green luxury Brand

yeah, I asked about a FocusHybrid on facebook/FordFocus

and they immediately and emphatically said, "Nope"

:,(

so

now I'm hoping for a Lincoln MKE sporty sedanlet that might be (G)C-Max-based for more rear room

& could then maybe take advantage of the Energi drivetrain -- don't see a reason for developing the Energi without having another car(d) up their sleeve to spread the costs onto

+

I seem to remember an Announcement that Lincoln was aiming to be the most green luxury Brand

Do you make your posts so hard to read on purpose?

no akirby

it's due a combo of visual impariment & other things

I just can't read a large block of text

but I do my best

Not trying to be nasty, and maybe it's just me but I find it really hard to read them with all the special characters, formatting and broken sentences.

• Like 1

I understand it perfectly...just read it quickly.... Then again, I have "inner city' experience, so I can decipher any kind of hieroglyphics.

So do we have the answer as to when the Focus Electric comes out? Maybe a 2013 MY to be released in mid-late to 2012 is last I heard?

The C-Max is coming in hybrid and plug-in hybrid versions isn't it?

To the best of my understanding:

1. The BEV (all-electric) Focus will begin production before the end of the year. Estimated electric range of about 100 miles.

2. The C-Max Hybrid (HEV) and C-Max Energi (PHEV) will begin production at MAP in 2012. This is the model with 2 hinged rear doors -- not the sliders -- and no third row seats. This is not the Grand C-Max which will be imported from Spain later this year. There is no HEV or PHEV planned for the Grand C-Max as far as I know. I'm not sure of the electric range of the PHEV Energi, but guestimates seem to center around 20 miles. I couldn't crawl around and under the cars at the NAIAS, but I approached it a different way and asked the Ford rep whether the battery packs will intrude on luggage space (like the Focus electric does). The impression I got is the second pack which gets you the PHEV function will be located in the spare tire area (which I guess means run-flats), so it will be underneath the floorpan.

3. There is another hybrid to be announced according to my count. I would think this would be the new Escape, also due for 2012 calendar year production. I haven't seen or heard anything about Ford's plans for the next-generation Fusion.

2. The C-Max Hybrid (HEV) and C-Max Energi (PHEV) will begin production at MAP in 2012. This is the model with 2 hinged rear doors -- not the sliders -- and no third row seats. This is not the Grand C-Max which will be imported from Spain later this year.

I wish Ford would brand/name these vechicles a little better....they are kinda confusing, and I bet they get all screwed up by the salespeople too.

I wish Ford would brand/name these vechicles a little better....they are kinda confusing, and I bet they get all screwed up by the salespeople too.

The U.S. market vehicle is C-Max, but in Europe it's called the Grand C-Max because we only have one C-max, not two like Europe.

I don't think the U.S. gets the smaller Euro C-max.

The U.S. market vehicle is C-Max, but in Europe it's called the Grand C-Max because we only have one C-max, not two like Europe.

I don't think the U.S. gets the smaller Euro C-max.

I think the hybrids ARE the C-max, NOT the Grand C-max...which is kinda cool for dofferentiation...plus I also beleive their mileage trumps the Fusions....

Edited by Deanh

Yep - see post 14.

Thats living in the past....lol, one question I do have , its mentioned utilizing the Fusions drivetrain, I would have thought since the C-max is smaller, perhaps the 1.6 engine would be utilized...or better yet the 3 cylinder eco engine...that combo would bring some eye raising numbers...

Thats living in the past....lol, one question I do have , its mentioned utilizing the Fusions drivetrain, I would have thought since the C-max is smaller, perhaps the 1.6 engine would be utilized...or better yet the 3 cylinder eco engine...that combo would bring some eye raising numbers...

Funny you mention that. I don't think Ford has specified the powertrain choice for the C-Max Hybrid and the C-Max Energi, nor have we seen other technical details. Presumably there will be a more complete picture next year. The Ford rep at the NAIAS (actually he was an outside contractor, but very knowledgeable in electric stuff) implied that the 1.6l EB would be used. That seemed a bit strange to me as you would be piling "cost on top of cost" for both the hybrid and EB. But this combination would work very well for both acceleration and for highway mileage. So I'm not sure quite how to take this "information." Maybe there also was a bit of confusion on the gas-only powertrain? I guess we'll have to wait for an announcement and more complete technical details at next year's show.

I also want a better understanding of the transmission. From previous announcements, it appeared it is going to be manufactured at Ford's Van Dyke plant. If so, I'm curious if it's a new Ford design, or made under license from Aisin Warner.

Funny you mention that. I don't think Ford has specified the powertrain choice for the C-Max Hybrid and the C-Max Energi, nor have we seen other technical details. Presumably there will be a more complete picture next year. The Ford rep at the NAIAS (actually he was an outside contractor, but very knowledgeable in electric stuff) implied that the 1.6l EB would be used. That seemed a bit strange to me as you would be piling "cost on top of cost" for both the hybrid and EB. But this combination would work very well for both acceleration and for highway mileage. So I'm not sure quite how to take this "information." Maybe there also was a bit of confusion on the gas-only powertrain? I guess we'll have to wait for an announcement and more complete technical details at next year's show.

I also want a better understanding of the transmission. From previous announcements, it appeared it is going to be manufactured at Ford's Van Dyke plant. If so, I'm curious if it's a new Ford design, or made under license from Aisin Warner.

I think the Focus 2.0 GDI would be more than acceptable for a hybrid without the cost and complexity of EB.

I think the Focus 2.0 GDI would be more than acceptable for a hybrid without the cost and complexity of EB.

I agree, but....

If you really want to make a mileage statment (particularly against the Prius V and PHEV Prius), and

once you have added the DI, all you are looking at is the addition of the turbo and assoicated plumbing (mabye $200 or so over DI???), then it might not be too much of a stretch. I'm not saying it's probable which is why I didn't take the show rep's info at face value.

Good grief - I thought you meant credible sources not random guessing.

well i for one dont know, although shoehorning the Fusion drivetrain in there makes no sense to me, and we DO know the Grand C-max will be avail with a 11.6 eco....so...if the vehicle is somewhat smaller and lighter than its bigger cous, then maybe Im not off base with the 3 cylinder rearing its head....will we THEN hear from VW TDI cheerleaders " I coulda had an Eco-boost....".

This link mentions a 2.0L Atkinson - cycle http://www.scribd.com/doc/46674913/Ford-C-MAX-Energi-Plug-in-Hybrid-Electric-Vehicle

http://media.ford.com/mini/2011NAIAS/assets/electric/docs/Ford%20C-MAX%20Energi%20and%20C-MAX%20Hybrid%20Hero%20Card.pdf

1-f3cbc12529.jpg

2-601b20c162.png

Edited by MKII