Sat in 2011 Explorer this afternoon

This afternoon, since it was nice out, I decided to go to the local Ford dealer to check out the new Explorer since they had one in stock.

A few impressions:

• It was the white platinum clearcoat (or whatever it's called). Not quite my color of choice but still pretty decent.
  • Limited FWD model, and loaded except for Terrain Management (kinda obvious).
  • Quite comfortable seats.
  • MFT is nice, if a little slower to respond than I would have liked.
  • One problem though: the SYNC wasn't working at all. They determined that the battery had recently run down (it had) and therefore they had to reboot/reload the whole system.
  • I didn't try to get into the 3rd row, but it doesn't appear to be any more or less spacious than other 3-row midsize SUV/CUVs.

Overall, not a bad vehicle.

What I'm really gonna remember, though, is that there was another customer who had come over to look at the Explorer. He had said that he was excited about seeing it in pictures but was disappointed in seeing it in person 'cause to him it was "just another crossover."

What I'm really gonna remember, though, is that there was another customer who had come over to look at the Explorer. He had said that he was excited about seeing it in pictures but was disappointed in seeing it in person 'cause to him it was "just another crossover."

Agree with that customers impressions.

The fit/finish and quality of materials are top notch compared to previous model Explorers. Which will be a hot selling item, especially compared to those aspects of other CUV's on the market. But like the other customer you mentioned, there is nothing truly special or impressive about the Explorer style that sets it apart from other CUV's for me. Personally, I see too much Acadia and Equinox (or GM CUV's as a whole) styling aspects to the Explorer.

Of course this is my personal opinion and know too many here will disagree with that statement. But to each their own.

This afternoon, since it was nice out, I decided to go to the local Ford dealer to check out the new Explorer since they had one in stock.

A few impressions:

• It was the white platinum clearcoat (or whatever it's called). Not quite my color of choice but still pretty decent.
  • One problem though: the SYNC wasn't working at all. They determined that the battery had recently run down (it had) and therefore they had to reboot/reload the whole system.
  • I didn't try to get into the 3rd row, but it doesn't appear to be any more or less spacious than other 3-row midsize SUV/CUVs.

I have an Explorer and have now put almost 1,000 miles on the clock.

When I first got it, the audio and sync system wasn't working on the acc key position as the battery was low; it worked when driving. When the battery charged, it's now available in accessory without any reboot or reflash.

As for MFT, I'm still a bit mixed. First, it's not nearly as complicated as some reviewers (particularly Consumer Reports) have made it out to be. Once you see it's a "four corner" display with Entertainment, Climate, Phone, and Nav, it's a piece of cake. However, I haven't yet totally mastered the voice commands. And, I have had times where the screen is extremely bulky; that needs to be addressed asap.

Overall, it's a very nice product. On a recent road trip, I averaged 24.7 mpg with speed at 70-75 mph. Not bad for a vehicle this size and shape.

From a visual standpoint, if one is looking for a SUV in this segment, then IMO, only the Jeep Cherokee and maybe the Honda Pilot are a bit more "suv-ish" than the Explorer due to their more square styling. I don't thnk most customers care about "SUV" vs. "Crossover" but rather the attributes of the vehicle.

Edited by Austin

A few impressions:

Musta hit a wrong key; I have no idea what happed to give me a duplicate post....

Edited by Austin

I really hate dumbass statements like this. Exactly how was he "mislead"? If he's been looking at it online and in the mags it's pretty much as represented.

It's not like Ford's been showing an entirely different vehicle for the past year and then pulled a curtain back and yelled: Surprise! Fooled ya!

Maybe they should put the miniature giraffe from the DirecTV commercials in one so these yoyo's have something "different" to look at. :banghead:

I really hate dumbass statements like this. Exactly how was he "mislead"? If he's been looking at it online and in the mags it's pretty much as represented.

It's not like Ford's been showing an entirely different vehicle for the past year and then pulled a curtain back and yelled: Surprise! Fooled ya!

Maybe they should put the miniature giraffe from the DirecTV commercials in one so these yoyo's have something "different" to look at. :banghead:

We of BOF have known what it was gonna be ever since it was announced.

I'm guessing he only knows about it from the commercials.

Well, eventually everything is replaced.....:shades: :finger::hysterical:

Yes indeed.

But the Explorer's style has a similarity to the design cues in the Taurus (grille, etc). But there is a new Taurus coming in 2 years or so, and a new Fusion in a year or so. Just wondering if Ford will be changing its styling cues. It appears Lincoln's will be changing as the new chooch from GM styling takes over.

I saw my first one here the other day. Limited AWD in Sterling Grey (IMO, Monteray Grey is so much nicer but I'm biased) and Charcoal Leather. Wow it is sharp! I know it's not as risky as say the Flex (Still IMO has the best interior executions over the past 15 years) but it's unique enough.

I'm loving my Kona Blue 4WD Limited although I've got only 500 miles on it. The "is it an SUV or is it a crossover" debate is nonsense to me. It's a large all-wheel drive family mover that is quite capable of moving my family around in style and comfort. I don't care what you call it. I'm learning how to use Sync and MyFord more and more each day and they are amazing features. I've had it two weeks now and I've yet to see another on the road.

Edited by T'Cal

I have only seen one on the road, haven't had the chance to sit in one, but my dealer has two in stock. I think they are a great looking update to the Explorer. Could have been more radical, yes, but I wouldn't call it a crossover. It might be softened compared to the old SUV image stereotype, but it is definitely not an Edge or Equinox, etc.

I would gladly drive one, but don't really have the need for a vehicle of that size.

I have only seen one on the road, haven't had the chance to sit in one, but my dealer has two in stock. I think they are a great looking update to the Explorer. Could have been more radical, yes, but I wouldn't call it a crossover. It might be softened compared to the old SUV image stereotype, but it is definitely not an Edge or Equinox, etc.

I would gladly drive one, but don't really have the need for a vehicle of that size.

I have seen a few myself. My dealership has had them when I have had my 2010 in for normal service. On the surface it looks good. I personally don't like the extra lines in the hood. I prefer a nice single piece hood, much cleaner look. The grill does take a bit of time to get use to.

I noticed that the vehicle is lower than my 2010. I can barely see over the top of mine, but the 2011 I can see over it quite easily. I was able to sit in a Limited and have my salesman show me all the stuff. It is a clean interior and I like the fact that you don't have to touch stuff. I also like things like the heated seats with 3 position heating. The my touch was nice and it is great to work everything from the dash board, but I found that the controls on the steering wheel are a bit confusing. I was playing with it while it was parked and I wasn't hitting the right buttons. I wanted everything controlled from one set of controls instead of two or three.

The Interior was nice and the seats seemed comfortable. I didn't sit anywhere else on the vehicle and I wanted to take it for a drive, but wasn't able to as I had another appointment to get to. Overall, I think Ford has a winner, but I want to drive it myself. I plan to take it out for 24 hours and see how it feels.

I must admit that I would have to pick the right rims for the my taste. Also, white is a nice color, but I would prefer the Candy Red or Kono Blue. The black was ok. I had a white truck and the color was something that got old. One other thing that I didn't like was the extra metal of the door on the interior side. It was just a lot more to keep clean and it wasn't smooth at all, so it would be difficult to keep clean.

I'm loving my Kona Blue 4WD Limited although I've got only 500 miles on it. The "is it an SUV or is it a crossover" debate is nonsense to me. It's a large all-wheel drive family mover that is quite capable of moving my family around in style and comfort. I don't care what you call it. I'm learning how to use Sync and MyFord more and more each day and they are amazing features. I've had it two weeks now and I've yet to see another on the road.

Good luck with it...I do a 135 mile trip home on Friday afternoons and I see at least one 2011 Explorer on I95 every time...I'd say the new Explorer is the most seen new model behind the new 2011 Edge...which has been selling like gangbusters in the NorthEast.

• Like 1

"Fastest Moving" refers to days on the lot, per the February Sales News Release.

Got ya. Thanks for the explanation.

It's a large all-wheel drive family mover that is quite capable of moving my family around in style and comfort.

It's this thought that has me wondering the future of the Expy and what path Ford will take with it. After checking out the dimensions, the '11 Explorer is nearly as wide as the F150 & Expy. With it's size now, it seems to be hitting into the Expy range and with the way Ford is leaving certain segments and moving towards a more fuel efficient fleet, does the Expy truly have much of a future?

It's this thought that has me wondering the future of the Expy and what path Ford will take with it. After checking out the dimensions, the '11 Explorer is nearly as wide as the F150 & Expy. With it's size now, it seems to be hitting into the Expy range and with the way Ford is leaving certain segments and moving towards a more fuel efficient fleet, does the Expy truly have much of a future?

Expedition and Navigator are both getting refreshed "very soon" including new engines from the F-150 (EB6 and 5.0).

The Navigator's future beyond that refresh are reportedly "under review," but there is a next-gen Expedition under development with the next F-150.

It's not going to be as much of a size difference as there was before, more of a capability difference. Explorer will be stay lower, FWD/AWD, with just enough softroad ability combined with car-like mannerisms. The Expedition will still be a tow monster with available V8, and truck-like capabilities. The big unknown for me is if the Expedition will retain its IRS with the all-new model. It's a huge advantage over the GMT's, which still have archaic, hernia-inducing, 100lb rear seats.

And as far as the Navigator goes, I'd put my money down that they're wondering if the upcoming Lincoln Explorer variant (Aviator revival?) will meet the needs of Navigator customers. I think they appeal to different buyers, and hope that they keep both in the lineup.

Good luck with it...I do a 135 mile trip home on Friday afternoons and I see at least one 2011 Explorer on I95 every time...I'd say the new Explorer is the most seen new model behind the new 2011 Edge...which has been selling like gangbusters in the NorthEast.

I agree with this. I do the same type of drive (100 mi) in I90 every week and I have only seen one or two. I have seen MANY 2011 Edges and believe it or not, several 2011 MKXs.

If the Edge would get above 30 MPG, I might have considered one rather than the FFH I ordered. Maybe. I love the look of the new Edge and I really struggled because I wanted to try MyFordTouch. Not second guessing myself though, with my drive and gas headed towards $4, I am VERY excited for my Fusion to get here!

My first impression of the Explorer was good. I love the new design! We are worried about the Sync, with all this new technology there could be problems or glitches. Have you heard of any problems?

SYNC has been pretty solid, as it's been on the market since 2007. MyFord Touch, though, had some teething problems when the new Edge and MKX were released. It seems like the major issues have been resolved, but some think the lag between screens is a bit much. I've only toyed with the system, but I'm impressed with is so far.