Lincoln Considering Performance Line

Audi has been very successful with advanced AWD in the performance world and Acura is getting there as well. Lincoln will either need to really study their systems or pony up the dough for a proper RWD chassis if they want to be successful in this arena. Ford has recently built some very good performance machines (Boss 302, Raptor, Focus RS, etc), so there's no doubt in my mind that they can't do it with Lincoln IF they are ready to invest the proper resources.

I agree that it needs more than just this, but I do think it would help get them going in the right direction. All of the successful luxury brands do it. It brings people in to take a look at them, and even if the person doesn't end up with the top of the line performance model, they may end up driving away in a less expensive base model of the same car. At least that's my theory, seems to work for the big guys. Sort of a halo car for each car line.

Hmmm - Aussie Falcon based with longitudinal RWD anyone ?

When the Falcon gets an all-new AWD car that can match Audi, then sure!

Not while Falcon sells at below 1500 sales a month.....

Best hope is US joint effort Mustang and 4-door coupe (T'Bird?),

kinda like Ford's answer to XK and XF Jaguar...but with AWD option.

Now that PAG is ancient history, let Lincoln be the luxury car it shoulda been! Back then they had to play second fiddle to Jaguar et al. I wonder where Lincoln would be today if Nasser hadn't mucked things up.

The Explorer tire fiasco didn't help much either....

If Ford is serious about Lincoln then it needs to be looking to spend the kind of money on all new products that BMW and co are investing. TATA has recognised the need at JLR and is pumping in 8 billion dollars over the next 5 years to back 40 new products. Now that might be considered radical if it wasn't for the fact that Audi and BMW are also planning significant investments.

Jag is turning up to the party in the next few years with the C-X75. What's Lincoln's halo car going to be? Where are all those new Lincoln products and bespoke technologies?

Volvo has done a pretty good job building sporty cars around Ford developed FWD/AWD platforms. The Volvo S60 seems like a pretty sporty car, it's heavily based on Ford's EUCD architecture. I was impressed with the last S60R, the new one should be an improvement. The C30 (C1 chassis) is also pretty sporty. If Volvo can do it with their relatively limited resources, Ford should be able to do it with Lincoln as well.

On their way. Takes time. Remember how long it took to make a Jag that would start in the rain? :)

What specifically have Lincoln got in the pipeline that's not a mildly restyled Ford? 'Cos realistically the reason Merc and BMW are over taking Lexus in the US is because the make better cars on bespoke platforms.

What specifically have Lincoln got in the pipeline that's not a mildly restyled Ford?...

by ALL accounts; the nextgen MKZ coming out next year

other vehicles are being speculated but the Z seems definite &, in keeping with the above video, practically like a Frankenstein/Prometheus done right

Did I miss the quote that someone from Ford was discussing a performance line for Lincoln? I read the Autoblog post - the only thing I saw was a "wouldn't confirm or deny plans " line. This seems more like a wishlist post versus any news.

I'd love to see Lincoln go back to a traditional naming system then use "Mark" for a performance line.

What specifically have Lincoln got in the pipeline that's not a mildly restyled Ford?

We don't know, specifically. Ford has kept tight security. One 3rd party, Peter di Lorenzo, at www.autoextremist.com has seen some of the future models and he says they are stunning.

'Cos realistically the reason Merc and BMW are over taking Lexus in the US is because the make better cars on bespoke platforms.

Realistically, the reason Merc and BMW are overtaking Lexus is that BMW has finally de-Bangled their styling, and M-B has finally produced a C-class that doesn't look like a turd on wheels. The use of VW chassis to become AUDI's seems to work quite well, so your bespoke fixation may be just that.