Tire brands on new vehicles

Pete

I wish ford and firestone/bridgestone would just kiss and make up, so i can get firestones on my new trucks again.

They have been terrific tires for me. Firestones have without a doubt been the very best tires i ever had . Nothing comes close. Traction/ handling/ road noise and tire life have been outstanding.

Been seeing the General tires on new vehicles in the last few years, well, that to me is not a tire i want on my wheel-barrel.

Was looking through my dealers lot 2 weeks ago and couldn't believe that ford now ships Hankook rubber on even the Lincoln MKT flagship. It listed at over 70K . Again, to me, that's as crappy a tire as generals.

Bean counters doing a super job.

• Like 1

A lot has changed in the tire industry over the past 10 years or so. Some of the previously "crap" brands are putting out some very high quality rubber these days. I wouldn't have any problem running Hankooks if they worked well on the vehicle.

I understand that. I cant imagine that ford would knowingly put crap tires on it's vehicles.Would they....

But historic reputation, performance and opinions of general and hankook tires leave doubts in my mind.

I've had my fair share of michelins, which seem to wear to fast for me and it's not my driving style, so they don't make the top of my list either but would like to see even them over the hankook's.

I realize there are many who have the general/hankook brand tires that i don't care for at all, and are not having any issues with them.

This is just MY opinion.

Edited by Pete

• 1 month later...

Nobody comes close to the quality of Michelin tires they are simply the best in the market.

I have always been a fan of Michelin as well. It seems for me that Michelin is the only brand that stays smooth even when they get quite a few miles on them. My dad and uncle are also big Michelin fans, but they remember a time when Michelin was the only one producing a high quality radial tire. The rest had pretty poor radials back in the 1970's, especially Firestone. I guess a person should get whatever tire works the best for them.

I would really like to see Michelin LT tires offered on the F150 (off road pkgs etc).

The Goodyear LT’s are nice; but when it is 100 degrees and you drive from Dallas to Houston, and the truck sits for a day or two after the trip, the next time you get in the truck to drive the tires are “square” – it takes at least 40 miles of driving to make the tires "round" again.

Michelin LT tires do not do that!

Nobody comes close to the quality of Michelin tires they are simply the best in the market.

Same here as well Michelin always one of the top two in most tests l read on tyres this side of the pond as well..

LINK

Fitting shitty Jap Crap Firestone/Bridgestone to the Explorer was a big mistake for Ford, Good Years were a good as gold never had any problems as safe as houses, l always have Good Years fitted to my cars "Safety First" tyres..

Why budget tyres can ki!!...

Best 3 quality brands v Best 3 budget brands

TEST 1 - Dry braking

Using the latest GPS-based timing equipment, we measured how many metres it took for each tyre to stop the car from 70mph on a dry stretch of road.

481010439111.jpg

TEST 2 - Wet braking

The same GPS-based timing gear was used to measure how long it took each tyre to stop the Meriva from 70mph on our test track’s purpose-built straight-line wet grip facility.

481010440214.jpg

TEST 3 - Lateral grip

Measuring maximum lateral grip using a g meter shows how well the tyres hang on through corners, or when swerving to avoid a collision. The greater the number, the better the grip.

481010439382.jpg

Edited by Ford Jellymoulds

I've always viewed the OEM tires as placeholders on a new vehicle. I've never owned a car which had good, let alone class-leading, tires equipped from the factory.

I agree, except for the firestone's that i used to get on my pickup's and the explorer i had.

Those firestones where awesome. Great ride/ quiet and just fantastic in snow and rain and just great wear.

As i said, i had firestone's on my explorer when the ford/firestone had the recall. Took it in and they replaced the FS with michellins. I can tell you honestly that i did not like the michellins at all.

Friend of mine and i bought escords at the same time. Both had michellins....they wore out within 30,000 km. On both our cars.

I had Pirelli/BFGoddrich /Goodyear/ And other brands of tires.

I go for firestones in a second. No idea if they are as goood as in the past, now that bridgestone owns firestone. I will find out next time i have to buy tires.

Same here as well Michelin always one of the top two in most tests l read on tyres this side of the pond as well..

LINK

Fitting shitty Jap Crap Firestone/Bridgestone to the Explorer was a big mistake for Ford, Good Years were a good as gold never had any problems as safe as houses, l always have Good Years fitted to my cars "Safety First" tyres..

Why budget tyres can ki!!...

Best 3 quality brands v Best 3 budget brands

TEST 1 - Dry braking

Using the latest GPS-based timing equipment, we measured how many metres it took for each tyre to stop the car from 70mph on a dry stretch of road.

481010439111.jpg

TEST 2 - Wet braking

The same GPS-based timing gear was used to measure how long it took each tyre to stop the Meriva from 70mph on our test track’s purpose-built straight-line wet grip facility.

481010440214.jpg

TEST 3 - Lateral grip

Measuring maximum lateral grip using a g meter shows how well the tyres hang on through corners, or when swerving to avoid a collision. The greater the number, the better the grip.

481010439382.jpg

I have checked all my maps but I can't find Akron anywhere in Japan, this is where the "Junk" Firestones were made. I just took the Firestones off my 96 Ranger, good tread left but age cracks on sidewalls, terrible after only 15 years

A lot has changed in the tire industry over the past 10 years or so. Some of the previously "crap" brands are putting out some very high quality rubber these days. I wouldn't have any problem running Hankooks if they worked well on the vehicle.

I agree Nick

Ford wrote the specs for the Hankook tires like they've done for Michelin Latitude Tours and Eco-Plus Conti's on my '05 and '09 Escape and other OEM tires. The Hankooks on my '11 Explorer Limited are fantastic in every respect. These tire sizes were not available until Ford contracted with the tire Manufacture to make them special for the vehicles they sell. They have the best roll resistance, stopping distance and handling of just about any tire available in its size. They're made for the vehicle these days!

I have checked all my maps but I can't find Akron anywhere in Japan, this is where the "Junk" Firestones were made. I just took the Firestones off my 96 Ranger, good tread left but age cracks on sidewalls, terrible after only 15 years

I can buy shit crap Bridgestone/Firestones just under a mile away from my house they are made all around the world.

Your looking in the wrong place mate, you got the wrong address for your crap tyres, just keep sending the profits back to Nippon, & foOk your own Good Year a US company instead in the process.

img_intro_01.jpg

Headquarters :

10-1 Kyobashi 1-chome, Chuo-ku, Tokyo, 104-8340, Japan

LINK

Founder - Shojiro Ishibashi

Director - Shoshi Arakawa

Chairman - Shoshi ARAKAWA

Members of the board

Kazuhisa NISHIGAI

Masaaki TSUYA

Mikio MASUNAGA

Kazuo KAKEHI

Sakie TACHIBANA FUKUSHIMA

Takao ENKAWA

Kimiko MUROFUSHI

At Bridgestone, our dream is to become a truly global enterprise and to establish the Bridgestone brand as the undisputed world No. 1 brand in both name and substance. Across the globe, our entire team is focused on achieving this goal.

The roots of our dream date back to the establishment of Bridgestone Tire Co., Ltd. in 1931. Anticipating the future potential of tires for passenger cars and the international development of the business, founder Shojiro Ishibashi used an English translation of his surname for the name of the company. Even then he may indeed have been dreaming of the future of the Bridgestone Group.

As Japan's automobile industry grew, The Bridgestone Group expanded its business to become Japan's largest tire manufacturer. The company also actively expanded overseas, particularly in Asia. In 1988, the company acquired The Firestone Tire & Rubber Company, a well respected global corporation with a venerable history of its own

LINK

Auto Express tyre tests -

Winter tyres test - 1st Good Year 100% top marks

Tyre tests - Bridgestones - rated no better than cheap n' nasty branded tyres.

LINK

Glad to be of some help.

Take a read at this article:

All four of Ford’s 40-plus-MPG cars – the Fiesta SFE, Focus SFE, Fusion Hybrid and Lincoln MKZ Hybrid – come fitted with fuel-saving, low RRc tires. In addition, the 2011 Ford Taurus, 2011 Ford Edge, 2011 Ford Fusion and 2011 Ford Explorer have tires with enhanced technology that helps improve fuel economy as well.

David Rohweder, global chief engineer for Tire and Wheel Engineering:

Quote:

“Ford develops tires with its suppliers to meet our performance targets in terms of grip levels, ride, noise and other attributes that today's customers expect and demand. We’re pushing the envelope of a well-balanced tire, one that has optimum grip in all conditions, is quiet, gets good wear and has low rolling resistance.”

http://www.cleanmpg.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39883

I've always viewed the OEM tires as placeholders on a new vehicle. I've never owned a car which had good, let alone class-leading, tires equipped from the factory.

I feel the same. Every OEM tire on every new car I have ever bought were always crap after 10,000 miles and almost dangerous at 20,000 miles. My 07 Expedition came with Pirellis. They wouldn't balance after 10,000 miles and I replaced all 4 at about 18,000 due to one getting a nail thru the sidewaii with a set of Michelin's (they ended up being the most expensive tire that Discount Tire offered in my size) and they have been great. After 36,000 miles (rotate & balance every 6000 miles), they still look & drive like new.

My motorhome came with Goodyear RV 19.5" tires and they seem to be okay. They only have 24,000 miles on them and they still look new, but they are almost 7 years old so I may replace them before our trip to Disney World next summer with a set of Michelin RV tires. You think 20" tires are expensive, price some 19.5" tires. It'll probably cost me about $2500 to have all 6 tires replaced!

I've also had good luck with Nitto's as well. My 01 F150 had Goodyears and I replaced them with Nitto Terra Grapplers and when they wore out after 40,000 miles I bought a another set and they were still on the truck when I sold it in June. I'm getting a set of Nitto NT555's installed on the Mustang today (265/35-18 up front & 285/35-18 on the rear). Can't wait!

I have NEVER gotten good service from Michelin. Most of my customers get poor service from Michelin. Only Pirelli's are crappier-- ask ANY F-150 owner with 20''s about overnight flat spotting. I am pretty sure that Michelin means "because they are the most money they are great" in French. They are total overpriced garbage. On pickups and SUV's, they all rip the center rib out of the tread even when properly inflated. And it is not a heavy foot issue because the fronts do it also. IT is a basic design problem. Michelin car tires love to slip belts or throw treads. Wether they are car or truck, they all seem to be so G.D. hard they ride terrible or maybe it is their crappy belt design.

The OE Hankooks on my Focus were done at 36k. They got significantly better mileage than the Uniroyals I have now, but the Uni's are at 76k and still half tread. Everything else seems similar, but the Uni's seem to be SLIGHTLY better in the snow though they are also SLIGHTLY noisier. There are tradeoffs in all tire design.

For me, Uniroyal fits my bill for good quiet ride with resonable service life. And I KNOW that Uni's are a subsidiary of Michelin, but the North American made Uni's don't suffer the same issues (including overpricing) as the French built junk.

I have had good luck with the Continental ContiproContacts that were OEM on my 2006 Fusion....back story as follows:

OE set lasted only 32K miles....called into Continental and was told to bring them down to an authorized dealer for inspection....Sears was the authorized dealer. Kid comes out, measures the tread depth of all four tires (2/32 and 3/32 consistant across all four tires) and sends all info to Continental...they offer me a "25% courtesy adjustment"....I told the person at Continental that I could sneeze and fill out a credit application for a sears card and get 25% off...gotta do better. After some haggling....I convince them a 50% pro-rata is what I want and that is what they gave me after a pleasant exchange where I never once trashed their company, disparaged their brands, and extolled the qualities of the various Continental and General tires that my family has had over the years....

Replacement set of Continentals lasts around 50K miles....very satisfied with the wear and handling of these tires, so a third set is purchased......now at over 130K miles on the car and another 50K miles on these tires...it is time for another set of Continentals......they make a good tire and I will reward them for taking care of my initial problem by purchasing another set of tires....

I did consider Firestones, but they do not make a T-speed rated tire in 205/60R-16 passenger radial.

I agree, except for the firestone's that i used to get on my pickup's and the explorer i had.

Those firestones where awesome. Great ride/ quiet and just fantastic in snow and rain and just great wear.

As i said, i had firestone's on my explorer when the ford/firestone had the recall. Took it in and they replaced the FS with michellins. I can tell you honestly that i did not like the michellins at all.

Friend of mine and i bought escords at the same time. Both had michellins....they wore out within 30,000 km. On both our cars.

I had Pirelli/BFGoddrich /Goodyear/ And other brands of tires.

I go for firestones in a second. No idea if they are as goood as in the past, now that bridgestone owns firestone. I will find out next time i have to buy tires.

Pete the most important thing on any car is having good quality tyres fitted to your car, its the one thing l won't skimp on is safety - Bridgestone/Firestones are total shit they always come out no better cheap than branded tyres in just about every test on tyres that l read in the UK, but you pay the maximum price for crap low quality safety with Bridgestone/Firestone. Michelin & Good Year are the safest/best quality.

Quality matters those extra few braking yards might just save your life or the kids life you might hit saving a few bucks or geting a few extra miles out of a tyre does not register with me when chosing tyres l would never have my cars sitting on low quality Jap Crap Bridgestone/Firestone tyres, quality safety first .

If saving a few bucks & not folks lifes is your primary concern Pete when choosing tyres fit Michelins they save up to 80 litres of fuel over a lifetime of a tyre compared to the next closest brand & the low resistant Michelin Energy tyres that my wife has fitted to her Pug last 6000 miles longer than any other brand you can buy in Europe, l pay $2.15 a litre in the UK x 80 litres of fuel = a saving of $172 savings per tyre over its lifetime & you are fitting the best in the business, but l still prefer Good Years though profits go back to the USA rather than France.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhjL-8iavLU&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mJt0LF8OrI0&NR=1

• 2 weeks later...

I wish ford and firestone/bridgestone would just kiss and make up, so i can get firestones on my new trucks again.

They have been terrific tires for me. Firestones have without a doubt been the very best tires i ever had . Nothing comes close. Traction/ handling/ road noise and tire life have been outstanding.

Been seeing the General tires on new vehicles in the last few years, well, that to me is not a tire i want on my wheel-barrel.

Was looking through my dealers lot 2 weeks ago and couldn't believe that ford now ships Hankook rubber on even the Lincoln MKT flagship. It listed at over 70K . Again, to me, that's as crappy a tire as generals.

Bean counters doing a super job.

I too have been more than happy with Firestones. The General's on my 05 F-150 were terrible. Looking back, I don't remember them even having any sipes on them. The Firestone Destination AT's that have replaced them with have been excellent and priced right.

• 3 months later...

15 years is a lot of age for a tire. Cracks would not be unusual, imo.

My '93 Ranger came with Firestone FR480s when it was new. They were fine. Except when I replaced them with another set of FR480s, the new tires were louder than the OEs were (when new). I have no explanation for this.

My next set were Bridgestones (can't remember the model), and they were decent but expensive. They were replaced with a set of Uniroyals I got at Wal-Mart for $53/each. They haven't lasted as long, but they were quieter than the Firestones.

I've avoided Goodyear tires for years when a tire shop owner I know said he plugs more holes in Goodyears than everything else combined; an observation shared by me with my wife's old Highlander, but never thought of as a brand-specific thing. It still may not be, but haven't had Goodyears for a long time, and haven't picked up a nail since, either.

Currently I'm looking around for tires to fit my Ranger, but the 14" wheels are getting really hard to buy for.