Ford Motor Company July 2011 Sales Up 9%

URGGH

Ford is not raising prices on new models. They're increasing available content.

How much more content are they going to offer on the next Escape? I mean other then MyFordTouch I can't think of a whole lot of things it's lacking. They could offer adaptive cruise control and possibly other luxury perks that are not usually seen on mainstream compact SUVs, but then where does that leave the Lincoln version? Nicer leather and real wood on the dash?

How much more content are they going to offer on the next Escape? I mean other then MyFordTouch I can't think of a whole lot of things it's lacking. They could offer adaptive cruise control and possibly other luxury perks that are not usually seen on mainstream compact SUVs, but then where does that leave the Lincoln version? Nicer leather and real wood on the dash?

Vista Roof, Rain-sensing wipers, HID headlights, or BLIS for starters -- all things available now on big brother Edge. Add in some premium 18-20" wheels over the current max of 17", perhaps a more robust 'Sport' model, and that all adds up to quite a bit more.

Vista Roof, Rain-sensing wipers, HID headlights, or BLIS for starters -- all things available now on big brother Edge. Add in some premium 18-20" wheels over the current max of 17", perhaps a more robust 'Sport' model, and that all adds up to quite a bit more.

But then won't it just be an Edge? :stirpot:

An offroad package with beefed up suspension bits, AWD, and terrain management.

So what are they going to add to the Lincoln version then to make it worth thousands more? I'd think they would want to hold back on some of that stuff and save it for Lincoln if they are going to make it a real exclusive brand.

• Like 1

So what are they going to add to the Lincoln version then to make it worth thousands more? I'd think they would want to hold back on some of that stuff and save it for Lincoln if they are going to make it a real exclusive brand.

Uhh..the same things they add to the MKX to price it above the Edge...and more. Everything I just listed is already available on other Ford models.

Edited by NickF1011

Just asking because I thought the new Lincoln is going to have a lot more exclusive features compared to their Ford platform mate in the future.

Above and beyond what is already being offered, sure. Ford isn't going to retroactively strip their mainstream vehicles to make their luxury brand look better though (leave that to Chevrolet). And just because the Escape is smaller than its stablemates in no way should mean it offers significantly fewer features. The days of smaller = cheaper are coming to an end. Small vehicle buyers these days are starting to demand premium content as well. Look at the Focus and Fiesta and compare them to where their counterparts were a few years ago.

We had the SAME FREAKIN' ARGUMENT over the 2012 Focus.

Nobody will pay more than $25K for a Focus.

Why buy a loaded Focus when you can get a semi-loaded Fusion for the same money?

Nobody wants a premium small car in the U.S.

The new Escape may lose a few diehard fans but it stands to make a lot more money and gain a lot more new fans who won't mind ponying up for a better, newer and better equipped vehicle both here AND IN EUROPE. This is no longer just a U.S. model.

Just like the 2012 Focus.

Just asking because I thought the new Lincoln is going to have a lot more exclusive features compared to their Ford platform mate in the future.

active suspension, cooled seats, better leather, better carpet, better NVH (comprised of better suspension bushings better glass, better sound deadening insulation), better powertrain options, better, significantly better factory audio.

There was all the whining about 'losing Mercury customers forever'. Well, besides the ones who passed away, the #'s were recovered. Looking at the sales charts shows this

Comparing July 2011 to 2010. Last July, 6903 Mercs sold, but Ford and Lincoln gained 22,000 units this July And, comparing year to date, for all 2010, 57,833 Mercs sold, but Ford brand gained 200,000 units.

Milan buyers got Fusions, Mariners went to Escapes. And how many of those Mercury sales were true 'brand loyalists' who rather die than be seen in a Ford?

Edited by 630land

while the increase is good to hear its no where near where it should be..coming off a long term recession/depression-whatever for the last 3 years the increase for a turn around would need to be far greater...as petula clark would say "its a sign of the times" and the times sure as hell aint great and i suspect ford knows it...

ps: to generate further mass hysteria and what-not may be ford should bring back the panther to help increase sales to the cops and better the bottom line

ps: f150 sales is good..i do really like the interior lay-out on the f150 (me likey)..stang still pissing me off-it should be doing better..i hate losing to the chebby kamaro slurpy crowd

Edited by snooter

while the increase is good to hear its no where near where it should be..

Huh?

Ford had a $20 billion turnaround last year, +$6 billion profit and $14 billion paid off debts.

This year so far, near $5 bilion profit and $5 billion paid off debts....

I'm sorry, who cares about sales expectations when financials results like that are so good....

The US is overleveraged. This isn't a normal recession.

Which further underscores just how great Ford's financial recovery really is...

In tough times, they still manage to make profits and pay down debts...

Edited by jpd80

It's nice to see the substantial, even Huge...increase in Crown Victoria sales! So what if it's all fleet purchases... companies know a good car (so eat that, Panther haters!)

Focus inventory problems might get worse now that the electric version is gaining attention, such as last night on the Letterman show (even though people had to sit through stale, lame jokes...but at least Emma Stone was on to keep people awake til Alan got there).

• Like 1

Fixed that for ya. :P

Well to his credit the Panthers were good cars, but there just isn't much of a market left for them other then police, taxi, fleet or the over 65 crowd. Size and capability wise the Taurus and MKS fill the void. Like it or not FWD it is the standard for mainstream sedans in all sizes. If a person doesn't like a FWD full size sedan then Chrysler has some pretty good options available.

Edited by 2005Explorer

It's nice to see the substantial, even Huge...increase in Crown Victoria sales! So what if it's all fleet purchases... companies know a good car (so eat that, Panther haters!)

Artificial sales spike generated by last minute orders, August and September will be the same.

Just remember than Atlanta went from producing 190,000 Taurus vehicle one year and being closed the next.

Closing STAP and rolling whatever previous panther sales into Taurus/Explorer sales at CAP will reap huge

dividends for Ford. It's cheaper to add like 3,000/mth production to CAP than keep STAP and panther going...

Panther is almost gone, the fat lady is warming up her vocal chords........

Edited by jpd80

Well to his credit the Panthers were good cars, but there just isn't much of a market left for them other then police, taxi, fleet or the over 65 crowd. Size and capability wise the Taurus and MKS fill the void. Like it or not FWD it is the standard for mainstream sedans in all sizes. If a person doesn't like a FWD full size sedan then Chrysler has some pretty good options available.

Oh, I know. Just givin' him a hard time. :poke: