MyFord Touch Gets Overhaul for 2013

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Funny, I'm running the iOS 5.0.1 beta 2 which has cured the battery issue, and I didn't need to go to Ford 16 months later to get an update that might fix the problem.

Um MFT is what at 1.0 level?

Not to mention it took 13 months for Apple to go from iOS 1 to 2.0

Its not like Ford hasn't been issuing updates...either

Funny, I'm running the iOS 5.0.1 beta 2 which has cured the battery issue, and I didn't need to go to Ford 16 months later to get an update that might fix the problem.

Well there still is the Siri server crashes, the original iPhone 4 battery issue, and also OS X screen and security issues. To say that Apple gets everything right is a bit of a stretch.

And how many of those people stick that CD into iTunes and rip them to their iPod?

Probably not as many as you think. Those buying the album to put onto their iPod probably just buy it directly in iTunes. It's a heckuva lot easier and quicker that way.

Um MFT is what at 1.0 level?

Not to mention it took 13 months for Apple to go from iOS 1 to 2.0

Its not like Ford hasn't been issuing updates...either

Exactly! Each iteration will get progressively better. Nobody is perfect the first time around, and it normally takes several tries to get it right.

Edited by fordmantpw

I think I speak for a lot of people when I say this:

When your lease is up, please do everybody a favor and move on. Go to another manufacturer. Maybe by then Apple will have the iCar out and you can live in peace and perfection.

• Like 1

Well there still is the Siri server crashes, the original iPhone 4 battery issue, and also OS X screen and security issues. To say that Apple gets everything right is a bit of a stretch.

Wifi sync in ios 5 / iTunes 10.5 is having problems. It worked when I first upgraded but now doesn't. There's several long threads on Apple's support board. The only solution that seems to work is completely uninstalling iTunes and downloading a complete copy (not an upgrade) and reinstalling. Some people have even had to use a registry cleaner to make sure all configuration data is gone. This problem also occurs with iTunes on the Mac.

I'm a bit frustrated with Apple at the moment.

I've looked at the screen detail, and it looks a lot better and clearer. In addtion, the video seems to show a faster response time, but still doesn't appear to be "Apple-like".

- They've cleaned up the radio screen somewhat, but it doesn't look like they've properly reconfigured the information they're presenting. The biggest piece of the display is still being used to display the most useless piece of information (the station ID).

- In that MFT is independent of every system it interfaces with (it's not the stereo, it's not the HVAC control, it's not the NAV unit, etc.), Ford may have opted to change the display when they have confirmation that the change in underlying state has taken place. This, depending on the service, may explain some of the delay (I believe there's typically a brief lag in changing sat. radio stations)

An alternative could be to change the display immediately.

---

I don't think that Ford can dramatically alter the presentation of MFT; for one thing, text needs to be high contrast with typically white text. This is the most effective way to minimize washout under sunlight and heavy glare. In that black pixels are 'off', black text on a light background would be more difficult to read under sub optimal lighting.

And while it might look cool to have little app. tiles (like Apple and Android), the present home screen provides meaningful control of all four services, where four cute little icons would not.

Edited by RichardJensen

About the iPad. Sync/MyFord Touch currently cannot recognize and index content through the USB like you can with an iPhone or iPod.

I'll be first to que once this update comes to Lincoln...although the demo in the Escape still exhibits lag. And we are still looking at resistive touch panels in new cars, Ford needs to correct that.

I see we still get that very prominent CD slot on the top of the dashboard. Ford, please get rid of CD slots...and most importantly...don't make it the dominating feature on your dashboard!

please explain why they should get rid of the CD slot.....

And how many of those people stick that CD into iTunes and rip them to their iPod?

ripped to a memory stick...only to be greeted with a multitude of songs NOT being played and witnessing BAD MEDIA on the screen.....Ipod...for some unbeknownst reason it deleted all the files, and my backup on my work PC got nixxed when a Virus hit the store.....have yet to have ANY issue with plonking a CD in the slot......

please explain why they should get rid of the CD slot.....

Because CD use is on a rapid decline and making it the most prominent feature on your dashboard is just ridiculous. Why would you carry around a CD-Wallet when everybody has a Phone/iPod/USB stick than can hold thousands of those same CDs? That question has already been answered by a major shift in behavior that even Ford has acknowledged and addressed with a huge variety of connectivity options.

Because CD use is on a rapid decline and making it the most prominent feature on your dashboard is just ridiculous. Why would you carry around a CD-Wallet when everybody has a Phone/iPod/USB stick than can hold thousands of those same CDs? That question has already been answered by a major shift in behavior that even Ford has acknowledged and addressed with a huge variety of connectivity options.

thats my choice Borg....not yours, besides, I have CD collection thats out of control, and in attempting to rip and burn was met with obstacles, so why would i bother with the apparent "new and improved" music files.....

People don't replace their cars every year like they might with a new MP3 player or SmartPhone...

The last tape deck went away last year...and CD's have been around since the 1980s...so you expect automakers to drop them just because an alternative is out there?

Maybe in another 10 years....

http://www.torquenews.com/109/last-tape-deck-rolls-out-lexus

Yes. A huge variety of connectivity options -- a CD slot being amongst them. I already pointed out that not EVERYBODY has abandoned the CD yet and moved on to other media storage options. Heck, my mom's cell phone won't even receive text messages. And good luck telling her how "easy" it is to rip her music collection to an iPod.

As for being the "most prominent", I would say that honor goes to the touch screen, not the CD slot. It just looks prominent to you since you hate it. :lol:

Yes. A huge variety of connectivity options -- a CD slot being amongst them. I already pointed out that not EVERYBODY has abandoned the CD yet and moved on to other media storage options. Heck, my mom's cell phone won't even receive text messages. And good luck telling her how "easy" it is to rip her music collection to an iPod.

As for being the "most prominent", I would say that honor goes to the touch screen, not the CD slot. It just looks prominent to you since you hate it. :lol:

I don't flipping care about having a CD slot, but I don't want it THERE!

It looks like a flying saucer landed on-top of the dashboard and then melted in the sun. It's so peculiar it stands out first and foremost.

Edited by BORG
  • Like 1

It looks like a flying saucer landed on-top of the dashboard and then melted in the sun. It's so peculiar it stands out first and foremost.

Again, to you maybe. It certainly wasn't even close to the first thing I noticed when I saw the spy shots.

idea....staple a photo of a waterfall grill over the top of it you ( toughen up nick, thats not name calling where im from, and was not its intent...so I'll stick with the self centered and delete the apparent bad use of emphasis )....lol

Edited by Deanh
Hey hey. We don't need the name calling!

Only complaint so far I see on the new design of the screen: I don't see the ambient temperature anywhere. I hope there's still a way to display that with the clock as you can now.

It doesn't sound like anything is happening in the IP so it will probably be there.

There is not ipod 1 in my house. Our son will get a MP3 player for Xmas, but it will not be a fancy one. Think Sony Walkman. After all, he is 9 (10 in Feb) and will probably misplace it for extended periods of time.

We are listening to CD's in the house, as I speak. My Mom needs to get a whole new CD changer/radio for her Mazda 6 because the CD player crapped out. She feels lost, not being able to listen to her CD collection. Here in small town USA, you don't even have a good FM radio station to listen to, so for Xmas, she is getting a Sirius receiver (what I use in our truck).

My Blackberry can be a MP3 player, yet I do nothing with it. At this point, due to the degredation in sound quality, over a CD, I will hold off.

Borg, I don't care if you don't want to see the CD slot. Too bad, so sad. The new car that does not give us easy access to multiple CD's, is one that I will not buy. I find nothing offensive in seeing the CD slot in the IP.

There is not ipod 1 in my house. Our son will get a MP3 player for Xmas, but it will not be a fancy one. Think Sony Walkman. After all, he is 9 (10 in Feb) and will probably misplace it for extended periods of time.

We are listening to CD's in the house, as I speak. My Mom needs to get a whole new CD changer/radio for her Mazda 6 because the CD player crapped out. She feels lost, not being able to listen to her CD collection. Here in small town USA, you don't even have a good FM radio station to listen to, so for Xmas, she is getting a Sirius receiver (what I use in our truck).

My Blackberry can be a MP3 player, yet I do nothing with it. At this point, due to the degredation in sound quality, over a CD, I will hold off.

Borg, I don't care if you don't want to see the CD slot. Too bad, so sad. The new car that does not give us easy access to multiple CD's, is one that I will not buy. I find nothing offensive in seeing the CD slot in the IP.

My daughter has several ipods and an iPhone 4. She has a 2012 Focus without MFT. She listens to a burned audio mix CD 90% of the time.

I could get into details, but there are ways to extract bit for bit resolution from I-pods and their bretheren....at this stage though they are absent from cars, for the home Audiophile theres docks by companies such as Wadia which stream suct info to a Digital Analog Converter ( inmy case thats a PS Audio ) it CAN sound fabulous, and oimpercetable from a CD, but its not cheap.....I get Borg is all about the convienience, and possibly NOT the ultimate quality, but thres something to be said about the simplicity of inserting an old school CD over spending HOURS ripping songs only to be greeted with BAD MEDIA and only getting 1/2 of what was downloaded.........