Lincoln Offers Peak of New Styling Direction

If the direction is anything like the new MKS and MKT, I would say Lincoln is doomed...

I would not typically make a prediction like that because my tastes often differs from what is popular, but these are two of the most unattractive designs that I have seen in the last several years. I can't imagine that many people who will honestly say that they look great....

I can see the advertising slogan now: "Yea it is ugly, but it is still a great car...."

As stated:

Those models may not go far enough to usher Lincoln back to relevance, but chief Lincoln designer Max Wolff mentioned at the show that the real changes begin with the 2013 MKZ,

!st of all wait till you see the MKT and MKS in person. I think it's a decent refresh, I liked the MKS before.

THEN wait for the MKZ.........and not just a knee jerk reaction.

By the time we see the new MKG, Aviator and Navigator,........... then MKT and MKS will be due for a total redesign.

Are you telling me my MKX was designed on Windows XP? GAH!!!

What software would Ford use to design Lincolns?

Photoshop?

Illustrator?

Heck, AutoDesk is only just now reintroducing an OSX compatible version of AutoCAD after an 18 year absence.

Why on EARTH would you write for the Mac, if you were developing industry specific software that needed to interface with a variety of machines through a variety of ports?

• Like 1

XP is settled, reliable, and is used on computers that make any Apple you will EVER own look like a toaster in comparison. Why? Because when you need real POWER, Apple can't cut it, never could. Of course a motherboard with 4 or more Xeon server-chips is way, way more expensive than anything you'll ever find at an Apple store. And then there are the UNIX workstations. Yeah, I know, Apple uses a Unix kernel with Apple GUI, but this is real high-power workstation UNIX we're talking about, not Apple Unix for dilettante art-directors. :finger:

• Like 1

If the direction is anything like the new MKS and MKT, I would say Lincoln is doomed...

Lincoln has come right out and said that the 2013 MKS/MKT are the beginning of the 'new' Lincoln.

From the 2013 MKS press release:

New Lincoln MKS: Refinements Signal Direction for Brand Today, Tomorrow

And then there's this worrisome nugget:

The dedicated Lincoln design studio has developed a contemporary new look for the 2013 MKS.

post-47048-0-15288800-1321916182_thumb.png

Really? A dedicated design team came up with that? It looks like something Ford tasked the Taurus redesign team with at the last minute.

The MKS and MKT ARE the "new" Lincolns. I'm concerned.

Edited by Boss444
  • Like 1

post-47048-0-15288800-1321916182_thumb.png

Really? A dedicated design team came up with that? It looks like something Ford tasked the Taurus redesign team with at the last minute.

The MKS and MKT ARE the "new" Lincolns. I'm concerned.

A distorted wide-angle close-up? Get your eyes tested, take a photography course. :finger:

As well, you already know that the MKS and MKT are not new, clean-sheet creations, and as such you know that there is no way they can be truly representative of the new Lincoln design direction.

So, are you commenting because 1) you don't like reading, 2) you're ignorant, or 3) you're a churl? Which is it, bunkie?

It's a press release you doof.

Take it with a HUGE grain of salt

You seem to use a lot of Ford's press releases to support your points. Lincoln chose to use that terminology...not I. You can't rail against me because I used their terminology in their press release to support a point.

A distorted wide-angle close-up? Get your eyes tested, take a photography course. :finger:

As well, you already know that the MKS and MKT are not new, clean-sheet creations, and as such you know that there is no way they can be truly representative of the new Lincoln design direction.

So, are you commenting because 1) you don't like reading, 2) you're ignorant, or 3) you're a churl? Which is it, bunkie?

1. I didn't take the picture, and why shouldn't I focus on 1 of the two parts of the exterior that changed? FWIW, the angled shot linked below looks worse than the one I used. But that has a lot to do with the poor press photos and the poor color chosen.

2. Lincoln stated that the new MKS/MKT is the 'the beginning of things to come' (roughly) for the next generation of Lincolns.

3. Lincoln also stated that these designs were our of it's dedicated design studio.

Look, we all know that Ford is very smart when it comes to ANYTHING they say. From when Mr. Mulally speaks to reporters for interviews to their press releases, they know exactly what they are saying and pick their words extremely carefully. They don't say things just to grab a headline. To even imply that is careless and extremely short sighted.

As for the last line of your post...are you really that childish? This is the internet...grow up. Despite what you or the moderator above thinks, none of us are experts, you don't know any more than I do. So to trash my opinion or my interpretation of statements from a press release because it doesn't agree with your opinion...is ignorant. And if you want to see a churl, perhaps you should look in the mirror.

Edited by Boss444
  • Like 2

Windows XP's marketshare far exceeds that of all version of OSX combined and are still industrial strength in terms of compatibility.

Why use a closed platform such as OSX?

It's either Windows or Linux, and I'm not even sure if Autodesk offer hardware acceleration drivers under Linux that CAD and other mechanical engineering programs can benefit from as they do on Windows-based machines.

• Like 1

While they weren't specific, I'd say it is probably fairly safe to assume, they were speaking more of the mechanical bits, ehancements to the engines, suspension, interior updates, etc as opposed to a MCE on two models that were designed way before Wolfe ever arrived here. They did the best they could with what they had to work with and what money would allow. They can't blow up and redo the whole car on an MCE, especially with a new one coming on a new platform in the not too distant future.

While they weren't specific, I'd say it is probably fairly safe to assume, they were speaking more of the mechanical bits, ehancements to the engines, suspension, interior updates, etc as opposed to a MCE on two models that were designed way before Wolfe ever arrived here. They did the best they could with what they had to work with and what money would allow. They can't blow up and redo the whole car on an MCE, especially with a new one coming on a new platform in the not too distant future.

I would say mainly the CCD suspension and other technical gizmoes offered for first time by Lincoln like steering wheel that pulsates if you start to wander in lane. I also believe the MKZ concept being shown in Detroit will have a full, retractable glass roof that basically turns into part convertible. I don't know that full, retractable glass roof will show up on production version, but Lincoln has alluded to glass roofs. I would say partly retractable for production model.

1. I didn't take the picture But it's the picture you picked, so to your little piggy eyes it seemed OK. Get your eyes tested, and take a photography course so you understand what you are looking at., and why shouldn't I focus on 1 of the two parts of the exterior that changed? FWIW, the angled shot linked below looks worse than the one I used. But that has a lot to do with the poor press photos and the poor color chosen.

2. Lincoln stated that the new MKS/MKT is the 'the beginning of things to come' (roughly) for the next generation of Lincolns. That's right, it's the BEGINNING. Can your little macrocephalic brain structure comprehend the meaning of the word? It means that Lincoln's style direction is still being evolved.

3. Lincoln also stated that these designs were our of it's dedicated design studio. The changes, sure, because Lincoln has a new dedicated studio. But the original body designs pre-date the establishment of that studio.

Look, we all know that Ford is very smart when it comes to ANYTHING they say. From when Mr. Mulally speaks to reporters for interviews to their press releases, they know exactly what they are saying and pick their words extremely carefully. They don't say things just to grab a headline. To even imply that is careless and extremely short sighted.

As for the last line of your post...are you really that childish? This is the internet...grow up. I am, I wish you would, then we wouldn't have to play Bitch Slap the Moron. Despite what you or the moderator above thinks, none of us are experts, you don't know any more than I do. I obviously know a lot more than you do, about a lot of things. So to trash my opinion or my interpretation of statements from a press release because it doesn't agree with your opinion...is ignorant. And if you want to see a churl, perhaps you should look in the mirror.

XP is settled, reliable, and is used on computers that make any Apple you will EVER own look like a toaster in comparison. Why? Because when you need real POWER, Apple can't cut it, never could. Of course a motherboard with 4 or more Xeon server-chips is way, way more expensive than anything you'll ever find at an Apple store. And then there are the UNIX workstations. Yeah, I know, Apple uses a Unix kernel with Apple GUI, but this is real high-power workstation UNIX we're talking about, not Apple Unix for dilettante art-directors. :finger:

Is this a Toaster?

http://store.apple.com/us_smb_78313/configure/Z0M4?select=select&product=Z0M4

And at what point did I say Lincoln should be developing on a Mac? That's just your prejudice.

Edited by BORG

I too am not at all clear on what Lincoln's design direction is after the MKS and MKT debuted, which is essentially an evolution of what they already have. But they did emphasize (very inappropriately) that this just a "step" and I can't help but feel that they don't consider the MKS/MKT updates to be relevant and want to marginalize them. And then we see the the MKZ face splashed on screen which clearly indicates a new design direction...which apparently is last minute if the preproduction prototypes are any indication. So any waterfall grille we are seeing right now is essentially a pre-Wolfe relic and they are doing their best to subtly acknowledge that (which is actually far from subtle from a corporate speak perspective). It's like Apple introducing the iPhone 4S and then flashing the iPhone 5 on screen and acknowledging that we know you're disappointed but hang-in there! Lincoln is just not a company to watch closely right now, otherwise you'll drive yourself mad with F.U.D.

Edited by BORG