2012 / 2013 Escape Side by Side

Notice his statement of Problem is most people I know who have seen it, think the same. Blah, looks like everything else out there, nothing special about it's design. Everyone has their opinion about everything, whether you agree/disagree with that point of view.

And to your point, just because you like a cars styling doesn't mean it is going to be a success either. Just like you are no more a 'styling barometer' than he is.

I dislike the Explorer style and what has been done to it overall. But it's been a success. Would I buy one though? Answer is still, heck no.

See this is where you are jumping to conclusions. I have never once claimed that the Escape will necessarily be a sales success. I am waiting to see how the market reacts to the new Escape before I come to any conclusions. Yes I do happen to like the styling of the new Escape but that doesn't guarantee it success on any level and I would never make such a silly claim either. Just because some inserts "in my opinion" doesn't mean much if they try asserting that "opinion" as something more concrete.

The Liberty has 5000# tow capability, 4WD hi/low range, skid plates, etc. How many other CUVs these days have that kind of gear? People must forget that the Escape's chassis came from that extra manly, heavy duty Mazda 626 sedan. Those 626s had a ripping 170hp back in 2002.

I agree completely. If someone thinks that the Liberty is somehow more effeminate than the Escape they are just being unreasonable. It isn't just the fact the Liberty has more capability than the Escape, it is also the fact that the styling of the Liberty has a lot of hard-angles that make a very squared off shape, nothing about the styling is soft; especially when compared to the Escape.

The Liberty has 5000# tow capability, 4WD hi/low range, skid plates, etc. How many other CUVs these days have that kind of gear? People must forget that the Escape's chassis came from that extra manly, heavy duty Mazda 626 sedan. Those 626s had a ripping 170hp back in 2002.

yep, and exactly how well is it selling and it has a bright future correct?.....

The Liberty sales sucess brings something to mind....

Just because you don't like a cars styling doesn't mean it is going to be a failure.

That's exactly right. Never implied that at all.

You are not some sort of 'styling barometer' that determines whether a cars styling allows a car to be a success or not.

See above.

• Like 1

And adding "in my opinion" doesn't mean anything unless you're actually giving an opinion and not stating a fact and calling it an opinion.

You are a piece of work.

So even qualifying the statement as an opinion isn't enough for you.

That's rich coming from the guy who when asked to provide a source for HIS statement, he posted a Wikipedia link.

• Like 1

Do you know what the definition of the word 'opinion' is?

Do you know the difference between fact and opinion?

The difference between fact and opinion is that a fact is something that is empirically true and can be supported by evidence, while an opinion is a belief that may or may not be backed up with some type of evidence. An opinion is normally a subjective statement that can be the result of an emotion or an individual interpretation of a fact.

My link

Your "opinions" are facts that aren't supported by evidence just like the one I posted about the Earth being flat.

• Like 1

OK, well now that everyone has finally settled their arguments :stirpot: , I gotta weigh in and say that even though I'm FIRMLY in the camp that the Escape needs a significant change in direction, I'm not feeling this at all. I liked the original shots that came out, and I don't know if this is just because of the poor photoshopping job, but in this pic the thing really looks busy and chintzy. I really need to see one or two in person. I know for sure I wish we didn't have to have those fender vents.

I know for sure I wish we didn't have to have those fender vents.

I thought the fake fender vents were going out of style again, but I guess Ford wants to keep the dream alive. :)

It is interesting to note that Ford seems to use trim level designations to differentiate between SUVs (they want you to consider as trucks) and CUVs (they want you to consider as cars). The vehicles they consider to be SUVs use XLT as one of the trim levels. Like the current Escape XLT, Explorer XLT or Expedition XLT. I assume this is to link them with the Ford truck line in people's minds. The CUVs use the car trim lines like SEL. Considering the Escape is now going with the SEL stuff it appears they want to link it with their car line instead of their SUV and truck line.

Just an observation I noticed.

Edited by 2005Explorer

I see a complex balancing act going on here, using a FoE design to save possibly $500 million in development costs

counterbalanced against what the American buyer expects in a small SUv/CUV, clearly tastes are changing from what

i see, this new Escape will probably latch onto those chnages but probably will draw a slightly different audience.

Maybe what's also important is to balance todays sales with tomorrow's expected increase in ATPs, if Ford can get the same

or better income by building less vehicles that also save on development costs, then they come out way ahead on profit.

Companies like GM are so sales oriented that they miss the basic goal of good business, maximizing profit with least sales.

Edited by jpd80

Is it bad to say I hope the new escape fails because I hate European car design?

Bring me a real American Ford Escape and then we can talk turkey :shift:

at the risk of sounding "smartassy"....what exactly constitutes an "American" Escape?....in terms of the current model Dated? Noisy? and Unrefined?......

Edited by Deanh

Ford has done its product research, they know what buyers want, what envelope their common products cover and how much that will cost.

Anyone wanting their favorite design of anything past will be dead a long time waiting for its return, time to move on people.

And yes, Ford can do wrong but at the moment, the bottom line says differently.

Edited by jpd80