Competitor Mid-Sized Truck Plans

Only a Ridgline owner would be bragging about hauling 1200 lbs in his "truck"! :hysterical:

And unless there is another bag hiding somewhere, that's only 1120 lbs.

1550lbs payload. Bed limit is 1100lbs. But you can also store 300lbs in the trunk. FYI, that's more payload than either doublecab Tacoma or Frontier.

• Like 1

1100 + 300 = 1550?

Keep in mind payload also includes any additional accessories (running boards, brush guard, etc), people and luggage as well. So just because it states 1550, doesn't mean that's the weight you should put in the bed.

• Like 1

Its not a "website"! Its a want ad medium! How can you even infer CraigsList is a website?

I don't like doing this, but sometimes you do things you don't like doing.

Craigslist is a website. You access it through a browser and all of the conventions that have grown up around websites apply. Do not presume to tell me what is or is not a website. I have 12 years experience designing websites, 16 years doing design period, I have written CMS software for websites. I know what I'm talking about. You, to be blunt, do not.

I guess I don't. A website to me is specific to a company or product or organization to provide specific information as it relates to that entity. Craigs List? Took the place of the classified ads in the newspaper. But I defer to your 12 years designing websites. By the way, I just love the unique design and choice of colors used on Craigs List!!!! Obviously a talented graphics marketing guy. By the way, in the last two months I have spent $29,500 on two items. Each item was covered with a descriptive of about 25 words and each had one picture-as provided by the selling party-not the "web designer".

Correct-very good-frontal AREA is the same. Drag? an entirely different number-or do you now want to say that drag makes no difference in fuel economy? What I suggested was you use the 250 glass house. The front clip? Much smaller-lower, smaller radiator (not cooling a 6.7 Power Stroke) etc.

There's no point in using the SD greenhouse if you're not going to use the SD roof, back, or doors. The savings isn't there.

My mistake- I assumed the term "greenhouse" has to include the total cab structure-pretty tough to have specific glass area without the appropriate doors, roof, cab structure right? So yes- my use of the same "greenhouse" includes the total cab- last point. A Kenworth W-900 and a Kenworth T-600 both have the same frontal area. One however is as aerodynamic as a barn door while the other is very aerodynamic and that is one of its selling points.

No more than you have facts to say it won't.

But, you see, you're the one arguing that an alternative course is more practical. Can you furnish any evidence that this alternative course is so? I don't need to prove that the status quo is better than any other conceivable option. You are correct-your point is always the correct one.

Don't know-I'm not a gambler!

Thanks for making my point. No problem

]Really? I don't think you know what constitutes "specs". Beyond "cupholders" !

Thanks for the insult. How about this. How about you tell me what's missing from the models and options page instead of telling me I'm an idiot.

My apologies- I do appreciate a civil discussion-not meant as an insult. so tell me-from that website, what transmissions are offered? (Make, model)

What brake options? What rear axles-beyond ratings (ratios etc)

Are we the largest small pick up market in the world?

eliminate the duplication that exists, incorporate 150 into the Super Duty line

It's possible that China is the largest small pickup market in the world, and if not China, then the EU. US small truck market is only 200k units.

Further, you have watered down 'incorporate 150 into the Super Duty line' into nothing more than 'share the greenhouse' which isn't worth sharing, if that's all you're sharing:

What I suggested was you use the 250 glass house.

A website to me is specific to a company or product or organization to provide specific information as it relates to that entity.

That's a distinction that makes no meaningful difference in the hows of usage, just the whys. Also, I said that Craigslist is a success in spite of its poor design, and your spending $29.5k on it tends to support that notion.

my use of the same "greenhouse" includes the total cab

So your idea is that Ford leave the 'half ton' segment entirely; and should make only truck cabs that are larger than the Silverado/Sierra/Ram and smaller than the Silverado/Sierra/Ram.

I don't think that's a good idea at all.

You are correct-your point is always the correct one.

It's not a question of who's correct, it's a question of who has to furnish evidence. I don't. You do.

Put this way: Does a defendant in a criminal trial have to prove he's innocent?

You are asserting that Ford's decision is wrong. I'm asking for proof. I don't have to prove anything.

Meritor Q-Plus air brake system, an air compressor on the Cummins equipped vehicles, an available Bendix air dryer and a Bosch powered parking brake. Standard equipment is a Meritor hydraulic system.

Axle's a Dana Spicer 140 somethingoranother, no ratios given. 2 speed available.

A website to me is specific to a company or product or organization to provide specific information as it relates to that entity.

That's a distinction that makes no meaningful difference in the hows of usage, just the whys. Also, I said that Craigslist is a success in spite of its poor design, and your spending $29.5k on it tends to support that notion.

my use of the same "greenhouse" includes the total cab

So your idea is that Ford leave the 'half ton' segment entirely; and should make only truck cabs that are larger than the Silverado/Sierra/Ram and smaller than the Silverado/Sierra/Ram.

I don't think that's a good idea at all.

You are correct-your point is always the correct one.

It's not a question of who's correct, it's a question of who has to furnish evidence. I don't. You do.

Put this way: Does a defendant in a criminal trial have to prove he's innocent?

You are asserting that Ford's decision is wrong. I'm asking for proof. I don't have to prove anything.

Meritor Q-Plus air brake system, an air compressor on the Cummins equipped vehicles, an available Bendix air dryer and a Bosch powered parking brake. Standard equipment is a Meritor hydraulic system.

Axle's a Dana Spicer 140 somethingoranother, no ratios given. 2 speed available.

Here's the thing... when GM and Dodge release new versions of their 1/2 tons, they're going to shoot for higher power and payload numbers than F-150. If Ford wants to keep playing the 1/2 ton advertizing game, they will need to grow the F-150 again to keep it ahead of the competition. But the F-150 is essentially a 3/4 ton now, and growing it would duplicate and/or exceed the capabilities of the F-250.

So, Ford has 3 options:

1. Drop out of the 1/2 ton wars and shrink the F-150 back down to traditional 1/2 ton size and capability

2. Grow F-150, ditch the dated Super Duty platform, base the new Super Duty line on the beefed up and enlarged F-150 chassis, and add a downsized F-100 to the lineup for the sake of CAFE

3. Ride the F-150 gravy train until it derails due to new competition and CAFE standards

I seriously do not understand the clamor for a mid-sized truck. Yeah, yeah...we can't use the current sales figures because if only SOMEONE would just build the "dream truck"--4 doors, plenty of cab space, 4WD, a 6' bed, 6500 lbs towing, 2000 lbs payload capacity, all the features, but hey, keep it under 30k and give me 25 mpg...people who haven't bought a vehicle in 10 years would just come RIGHT OUT OF THE WOODWORK to buy them at sticker.

Give me a break. Total sales of all vehicles = X. Of X, Y% is the total share of mid-size trucks...perfect or otherwise. That percentage is going DOWN. Period. People who say "Ford is missing out on sales because they don't have a minivan or a mid-size truck or a full-size RWD car or a RWD, high-power luxury sports sedan!" do not have one single clue. I've said this before, I'll say it again: Ford has one single reason for it to exist: To make a profit. That's it. Sure, we as consumers get an opportunity to buy a vehicle that hopefully does everything we want it to do at a price we're happy to pay. And sure, without enough of those customers, Ford wouldn't exist. But it doesn't need 100,000 possible midsize truck buyers when it already has 600,000 fullsize truck buyers that buy vehicles with higher profit margins. Ford does not exist to make 100,000 people happy if it cannot make a respectable profit doing so.

Anyone clamoring for this, that or the other thing just needs to get over themselves. Mommy telling you how important you are when you were 8 did wonders for your self-esteem...good for you. But in reality, you're just not that important. And nether am I, for that matter. Of course, I don't sit here crying about what "so and so won't do for me"....I just find out who WILL and GO GET IT.

I seriously do not understand the clamor for a mid-sized truck.

"The clamor for a mid-sized truck" would likely be muted if half-ton full-sized trucks hadn't become the leviathans they are today when compared to what used to be a half-ton full-size truck as little as 15 years ago.

At least in my case, it used to be I could reach over the bedside to load/unload most trucks (as I can with my Ranger), nor did the open tailgate nearly reach my navel. Nowadays, that's not true in most anything considered full-size. Although I did see a new Dodge at the supermarket recently that appeared to buck this trend.

The "full-size truck wars" have left people like me--who prefer a personal-use truck that doesn't require climbing into the bed to load/unload--behind. It may be the best business case for Ford, but not for me (personally). I certainly don't take it personally, and I hope Ford doesn't if (or when) I wind up with competitor's product more suitable to my (personal) needs.

• Like 1

"The clamor for a mid-sized truck" would likely be muted if half-ton full-sized trucks hadn't become the leviathans they are today when compared to what used to be a half-ton full-size truck as little as 15 years ago.

At least in my case, it used to be I could reach over the bedside to load/unload most trucks (as I can with my Ranger), nor did the open tailgate nearly reach my navel. Nowadays, that's not true in most anything considered full-size. Although I did see a new Dodge at the supermarket recently that appeared to buck this trend.

The "full-size truck wars" have left people like me--who prefer a personal-use truck that doesn't require climbing into the bed to load/unload--behind. It may be the best business case for Ford, but not for me (personally). I certainly don't take it personally, and I hope Ford doesn't if (or when) I wind up with competitor's product more suitable to my (personal) needs.

I understand what your saying here, but keep this in mind...the reason why full sized pickups have grown so much is because of Competition between brands..which has driven the size increases over the years. Sales haven't been hurting because of the size increases...but if someone starts to buck the trends...they might wind up a non-player in the market.

I think Ford has a really good feel for this (pointed out by their sales leadership in the segment for over 30 years) and knows what they are doing.

And as for your needs...well they are important to you, which is understandable, but at the same time they aren't what the market (what everyone else wants) needs or wants. I think thats the biggest hang up people have here....its what THEY want. Not what is reasonable.

First one to build such a vehicle, that proves itself not to be junk, gets my cash.

I'm sitting on $27k for such a truck, and I'll be damned before I replace my truck with a focus or an F150, unless Ford is willing to sell me a 5.0 XLT 4x4 for $23K.... Then I'll spend the other 4k on things like taxi service the days I know I'll be places that F150 doesn't fit and maintenance costs like tires that cost $200+ each.

First one to build such a vehicle, that proves itself not to be junk, gets my cash.

I'm sitting on $27k for such a truck, and I'll be damned before I replace my truck with a focus or an F150, unless Ford is willing to sell me a 5.0 XLT 4x4 for $23K.... Then I'll spend the other 4k on things like taxi service the days I know I'll be places that F150 doesn't fit and maintenance costs like tires that cost $200+ each.

This. I will have no problem dropping $30-35k when a quality product of sensible proportions comes along. Could I get a decent F-150 for that cash? Aboslutely... but it's too damned big and heavy.

Why? Still more payload than Tacoma/Frontier. In fact, the nicely equipped off-road versions I looked at were only 1200lbs payload due to the weight of skid plates, locking difs, roof racks, and such.

Dude, it was a joke for those that like to compare their Ridgline to a full-size truck.

I've tried-help me out.

Instead of bolding what you want to quote surround it by [ quote ] and [ /quote ] (without the space after the [ and before the ]. You can also copy the quote line at the top of the message if you click the 'Quote with Reply' button. Then it looks like this and makes it much easier to read:

quoted text 1 that includes the name, timestamp, and post information from the first line of the quote

quoted text 2

quoted text 3

[}Instead of bolding what you want to quote surround it by [ quote ] and [ /quote ] (without the space after the [ and before the ][]. You can also copy the quote line at the top of the message if you click the 'Quote with Reply' button. Then it looks like this and makes it much easier to read:

Like this? Keep in mind-I'm probably the old guy here!

[][/]Instead of bolding what you want to quote surround it by [ quote ] and [ /quote ] (without the space after the [ and before the ]. You can also copy the quote line at the top of the message if you click the 'Quote with Reply' button. Then it looks like this and makes it much easier to read:

like this?? I did not intend to "quote" your entire message. I finished your first sentence with [/]. I see by my preview I'm still doing something wrong. In any case thanks very much for trying to help this old boy out. :unsure:

like this?? I did not intend to "quote" your entire message. I finished your first sentence with [/]. I see by my preview I'm still doing something wrong. In any case thanks very much for trying to help this old boy out. :unsure:

Close. You need the word quote in there.

If you edit the post, and look at it, there very beginning will be

that starts the quotation.

At the end, you will see [/ quote] (without the space). That is the ending of the quotation. Everything between those two will be inside the quote box.

Your stuff should look like this:

If you want to quote it, type it exactly like this (forget about the colors):

[quote]
this is what I want to quote
[/quote]

this is what I don't want to quote.

I've tried-help me out.

What fordmanptw said. Copy and paste the quoted text including the begin and end quote markers, then delete the non relevant parts from each quote and put your reply below it outside of the quote markers. It should look like this (without the spaces).

[ q u o t e ]

point 1

[ / q u o t e ]

reply 1

[ q u o t e ]

point 2

[ / q u o t e ]

reply 2