Daytona 24 Hours

There are only a couple of hours left in the race and the two lead cars were the new Ford-Riley prototypes driven by Allan McNish and A.J. Allmendinger. They are powered by Roush/Yates 5.0L V8s. Only problem is they are fighting for the lead and I mean beatin' and bangin' on the high banks. If they don't calm down they will hand the race to Scott Pruett in the BMW. Fortunately, they are under caution now and McNish was replaced by another driver. Unfortunately, the BMW beat them both out of the pits but the Dinger retook the lead on the restart. It is live on Speed. BTW, the Boss 302R driven by Jack Roush Jr and Billy Johnson won the preliminary Continental Tire race on Friday. Go Ford!

http://msn.foxsports.com/nascar/story/Jack-Roush's-son-wins-Grand-Am-Road-Race-at-Daytona-International-Speedway-012712

• Like 1

It's not over 'til it's over..but three ford powered teams on the podium would be unbelievable; particularly since all the prerace publicity centered around the bowties. It was almost a given that they would take the pole and win. Anyone know if the 5.0 Ford DP race engines are based on the modular (5.0 Cammer) or 5.0 Coyote?

I don't know, but hopefully those Lola, Ford powered race cars will enter Sebring, ALMS 12 hour race and take on the LMP Audis there and at LeMans. Ford powered engines in endurance racing have proved to be very fast and reliable at that type of racing. Add in the Lola chassis and you have a formidable racer.

I don't know, but hopefully those Lola, Ford powered race cars will enter Sebring, ALMS 12 hour race and take on the LMP Audis there and at LeMans. Ford powered engines in endurance racing have proved to be very fast and reliable at that type of racing. Add in the Lola chassis and you have a formidable racer.

The Grand AM prototype cars that raced today at Daytona are a completely different type of race car from the LMP cars. The teams that won today use the Riley chassis with a Ford engine and they are anything but a factory backed effort unlike the diesel engine Audi and Peugeot teams that race at LeMans.

Like TomServo92 mentioned, everyone expected the Corvette DP teams to dominate this year's Daytona 24 hour race. While all of the pundits will claim that the Corvette teams suffered from new car blues the fact is that the Michael Shank Riley-Ford team that placed 1st and 3rd today was dealing with completely new cars as well. Also of note is the fact that the only cars to finish on the lead lap were all Ford powered as were five of the top ten.

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-181923.html

• Like 2

The Grand AM prototype cars that raced today at Daytona are a completely different type of race car from the LMP cars. The teams that won today use the Riley chassis with a Ford engine and they are anything but a factory backed effort unlike the diesel engine Audi and Peugeot teams that race at LeMans.

Like TomServo92 mentioned, everyone expected the Corvette DP teams to dominate this year's Daytona 24 hour race. While all of the pundits will claim that the Corvette teams suffered from new car blues the fact is that the Michael Shank Riley-Ford team that placed 1st and 3rd today was dealing with completely new cars as well. Also of note is the fact that the only cars to finish on the lead lap were all Ford powered as were five of the top ten.

http://paddocktalk.com/news/html/story-181923.html

I'm pretty sure I read that the ALMS Ford engines are EcoBoost V-6s in those Lola chassis, which from what the guys on Speed Channel were saying are also fixing to run in Grand Am later this year.

Ah yes, this pic brought tears to my eyes. I remember that day well. Legend has it that Hank the Deuce told his troops to "win at Leman, no matter the cost." What a finish.

Hah-another old dude-and I thought I was the only one posting who saw that. I think ABC carried it- I remember the opening line of every telecast...."This is ....the 24 Hours of Lemans"..then a cut to the roar of an engine.

I'm pretty sure I read that the ALMS Ford engines are EcoBoost V-6s in those Lola chassis, which from what the guys on Speed Channel were saying are also fixing to run in Grand Am later this year.

They are, but no team has elected to run a Ford EcoBoost in ALMS . . . yet (or at least to my knowledge.)

Good Daytona race! Excited and happy for Michael Shank, although I was pulling a bit more for McNish, but happy OZ and Wilson got the win.

Yes indeed! Apparently the Mustang was followed by 6 or 7 BMW M3's! :happy feet:

Bubububut the mustang has an archaic solid rear axle...it's garbage! :drop: It can't win against anything with the "piece-de-la-resistance" IRS! :shades:

How can this happen??? :ohsnap: And the corvette's and bmw's are both IRS so they HAVE to win!!! :cry:

Ain't reality a bitch? :hyper: :hysterical:

Way to go FORD!!! :happy feet:

edit: HEY!! I just went and looked, THAT'S NOT A MUSTANG! WTF are you guys talking about? Yes it says Ford, but it's another upside-down bathtub plastic car with decals... :stop:

Yup I still hate that left-right-left thing.

Dragracing, "If you can turn, your not going fast enough"! :hysterical:

Edited by goinbroke2

Bubububut the mustang has an archaic solid rear axle...it's garbage! :drop: It can't win against anything with the "piece-de-la-resistance" IRS! :shades:

How can this happen??? :ohsnap: And the corvette's and bmw's are both IRS so they HAVE to win!!! :cry:

Ain't reality a bitch? :hyper: :hysterical:

Way to go FORD!!! :happy feet:

edit: HEY!! I just went and looked, THAT'S NOT A MUSTANG! WTF are you guys talking about? Yes it says Ford, but it's another upside-down bathtub plastic car with decals... :stop:

See my link in post #3. :)

They ran two different races at Daytona this past weekend. The ox-cart Mustang won the preliminary race on Friday while the Ford powered upside-down bathtubs finished 1-2-3 in the 24 hour race that started on Saturday afternoon and finished on Sunday. :hysterical:

Interesting that the Mustang has the Roush side stripes instead of the Boss 302 stripes...

They ran two different races at Daytona this past weekend. The ox-cart Mustang won the preliminary race on Friday while the Ford powered upside-down bathtubs finished 1-2-3 in the 24 hour race that started on Saturday afternoon and finished on Sunday. :hysterical:

Interesting that the Mustang has the Roush side stripes instead of the Boss 302 stripes...

There were many classes running over the weekend, and Ford won two of them....GS and prototype classes. Porsche finished one, two, and three in GT class. I love that kind of racing where there are many classes running on track at same time. The prototypes are so much quicker everywhere on track and other classes not only have to race each other, but keep eye on the prototypes coming up quickly on them and stay out of their way and don't take them out. Conversely, the prototype racers have challenge making sure the slower race cars in different classes don't take them out and race each other. Makes for very intense racing where you can't relax for a second and lots of winners in the various racing classes. I wish MIS would open their facilities for either a Rolex or Petite LeMans ALMS race weekend in the early summer or late fall. They did in the 70's with CanAm and TransAm racing, but not since. Too nice a facility to have only TWO race weekends/year and only NASCAR and truck series. Indy oval racing is too boring, so that leaves only Grand Am, ALMS, and perhaps motorcycle racing. Maybe with Ford showing some interest in Grand Am, MIS will be looked at again.

There were many classes running over the weekend, and Ford won two of them....GS and prototype classes. Porsche finished one, two, and three in GT class. I love that kind of racing where there are many classes running on track at same time. The prototypes are so much quicker everywhere on track and other classes not only have to race each other, but keep eye on the prototypes coming up quickly on them and stay out of their way and don't take them out. Conversely, the prototype racers have challenge making sure the slower race cars in different classes don't take them out and race each other. Makes for very intense racing where you can't relax for a second and lots of winners in the various racing classes. I wish MIS would open their facilities for either a Rolex or Petite LeMans ALMS race weekend in the early summer or late fall. They did in the 70's with CanAm and TransAm racing, but not since. Too nice a facility to have only TWO race weekends/year and only NASCAR and truck series. Indy oval racing is too boring, so that leaves only Grand Am, ALMS, and perhaps motorcycle racing. Maybe with Ford showing some interest in Grand Am, MIS will be looked at again.

I doubt it for Grand-Am as there is a race at Belle Isle Park in June.

I doubt it for Grand-Am as there is a race at Belle Isle Park in June.

Yes, I know. Belle Isle is the typical city circuit even though it's on an island. Short, tight, and surrounded by concrete barriers that make it hard for spectators. Sound is cool as it bounces off barriers, but that is about it as very little room for error or passing. The drivers never seem to be happy with this circuit, and I understand why. MIS is so much better with nice circuit inside of oval and use of part of oval for top speeds that has been repaved this past year. Only challenge is bump that is always there between road course and oval. I guess Mid Ohio being so close by negates MI from getting top notch road racing save for Belle Isle race coming back. However, MIS offers something neither bucolic Mid Ohio nor urbran Belle Isle does. MIS has the potential to be Daytona North. Endurance racing, IMO, has real advertising potential as has been shown by certain auto companies over the years. Not only shows the speed, but the reliabliity of vehicle over 6,12, and 24 hour race. In fact, MIS should make one of the two annual NASCAR races a road race and use that course for ALMS enduro race. The GT class is the new TransAm race incarnate and in many ways even more exciting with Ferrari, Porsche, Corvette, and BMW going at it with super intensity. Mustang is certainly capable of running in this series.