10 Worst Vehicles of All Time

FordBuyer

1. '01 Pontiac Aztek I personally would not put Aztek at top of list

2. '74 Ford Mustang ll Again, this vehicle should not be number two...surprised Pinto didn't take its place

3. '55 BMW Isetta

4. '87 Yugo This would be at top of my list...worst car of my lifetime

5. Chevy Vega Deserves to be higher on list

6. Saturn Ion Wouldn't be on my list

7. '58 Edsel Corsair

8. Cadillac Cimarron Lincoln Versailles belongs with it

9. Trabant East Germany version of Beetle

10. Olds Cutlass Supreme Diesel Where the hell is the Chevette?

Don't forget Renault, especially the Dauphine. Something like 15 years later, introducing a new Renault, they actually admitted it in a magazine ad. I forget what the model was, but the headline went: "The Renault for people who swore they'd never buy another". Really. :)

MHV_Renault_Dauphine_01.jpg

They also imported the cute little Caravelle. It wasn't made any better, either.

renault_caravelle_img_6895.jpg

Aztek was not a horrible vehicle. Horribly styled? Yes. But it was very versatile and those who owned one loved it despite its atrocious looks.

Mustang II wasn't a horrible vehicle either. Lineage-wise, perhaps, but it was a fine vehicle for its time.

How many Aztek's are still on the road?

I work at a GM dealership and I haven't seen one in almost 2 years! Of course I'm see less Rendezvous' also.

Tons of missing specimens on this list:

Chevy Citation and any GM "X" car

Dodge Aries "K" and all associated relatives (of which there are thousands)

Ford Tempo/Mercury Topaz (tampon)

Various AMC products including Pacer, Gremlin, Matador

Chevy Chevette

Cadillac V-8-6-4, all models

GM Diesel V-8s from the '80s

I'm sure there are others.

Looks like the Dauphine is rear engined and air cooled. My Boxster is liquid cooled of course, but the radiators are hidden in front fenders with openings below front bumper. Not sure on other.

Nope — liquid-cooled, worked alright. A 1.4-liter or so 4-cyl. Component quality and assembly problems. Plus, you'd swear you could watch them rust. Not good. But the Caravelle is a cute little sled, 50 years on. :)

Chevy Citation and any GM "X" car

Various AMC products including Pacer, Gremlin, Matador

Chevy Chevette

Cadillac V-8-6-4, all models

GM Diesel V-8s from the '80s

I would add the Sundance as they littered highway shoulders throughout Metro Detroit in their time and still do. The first couple years of the Aerostar were not good either until Ford shored up the problems and then wasn't a bad minivan. Early Plymouth and Dodge minivans were pretty bad also. And don't forget the Horizon.

I would add the Sundance as they littered highway shoulders throughout Metro Detroit in their time and still do. The first couple years of the Aerostar were not good either until Ford shored up the problems and then wasn't a bad minivan. Early Plymouth and Dodge minivans were pretty bad also. And don't forget the Horizon.

I bought a Mustang II new in 74. It had the V8 option and it sucked. No run at all to work on it. In the summer as soon as I turned on the AC and stopped for more than a few minutes it started to overheat.. surprisingly i saw a few come across the block last weekend on Mecum Auctions.

Chevy Citation and any GM "X" car #52

Various AMC products including Pacer, Gremlin, Matador Pacer #20, Gremlin #19

Chevy Chevette #53

Cadillac V-8-6-4, all models #25

GM Diesel V-8s from the '80s #10

Several of the examples you cited do appear in some form on the complete, Top 100 list (see above). :)

I'm not understanding the criteria. Worst to own? Worst to try to sell off the lots? Lost the manufacturer tons of $$$?

The Aztek was ugly, but worst ever?

74 Mustang? Not where Mustang fans wanted it to go, but where fuel prices forced it. Not much worse than the other dreck spewed out by Detroit at the time.

I could go on but don't feel like typing.

That new Mustang in 74 must have been an old 73, or new 75, because the 1974 model year was the only year the Mustang did not have a V8 option.

Not a high point for the model, but certainly not the 2nd worst car ever.

Agree with the Vega comment. I loved the way the little car looked, but I drove a neighbor's once (to park it, because his wife couldn't drive a stick). It took the record of anything I have ever got behind the wheel of ever for feeling like it was about to fall to pieces. Which evidently, they did. Try to find one now.