Ford Working on Radical New Mustang

Eh. At this point it doesn't seem very likely that the Mustang's next platform will spawn a whole lot of other vehicles except maybe a low volume Lincoln or two.

Oh ye of little faith. I could be wrong but I think they have bigger plans for the new platform including several vehicles (some Ford, some Lincoln). Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

I don't think this is going to be a platform, for reasons I've detailed before. The specs required for the constituent vehicles are too diverse. You may have the front suspension/subframe/firewall/powerpack/doghouse shared, but I can't conceive of significant sharing in crash mitigation structures, floorpans, rear suspensions, etc., unless you're sharing between Ford & Lincoln sedans. I don't expect a Lincoln coupe, and I don't expect significant sharing from the firewall back between the sedan and coupe, or deriving the coupe from the sedan (cf. Camaro & Challenger).

And, like Nick, I think some are wildly overstating global demand for the Mustang.

Oh ye of little faith. I could be wrong but I think they have bigger plans for the new platform including several vehicles (some Ford, some Lincoln). Or maybe that's just wishful thinking.

Somehow I don't believe the Thunderbird nameplate has been eternally buried, I would like to think it would be RWD and affordably priced. If Chrysler RWD models continue to sell well along with GM's ATS and CTS, Ford may change philosophy and try to change its image of being mostly a FWD company only as in RWD fans go eat dirt. Good way to enter niche markets that are more upmarket and more profitable if you can do other vehicles off same RWD platform and at least keep your market share if not increase it.

If Chrysler RWD models continue to sell

But Ford's large FWD's are selling about as well as those already. What's the incentive to change?

Good way to enter niche markets that are more upmarket and more profitable if you can do other vehicles off same RWD platform

I'd venture to guess that ATP and profit margin on the MKS is higher than it is on the 300.

Edited by NickF1011

But Ford's large FWD's are selling about as well as those already. What's the incentive to change?

I'd venture to guess that ATP and profit margin on the MKS is higher than it is on the 300.

I wouldn't bet on that considering the 300 outsells the MKS 6 to 1 and in some ways is more luxurious in that you can get powerful V8, something a flagship luxury vehicle should offer as an option. Yeah, EB V6 is fine and dandy, but still would take a V8 in that class just like I would take a 5.0 Mustang over a EB one. With the new Dart coming on line, Chrysler all of a sudden looks very competitive and puts Ford and GM on notice. You just know Dart sales are going to come out of someone's hide. And you can order the turbocharged version without buying SRT model. All I'm saying is that Ford is going to have to up its game even more to keep its head above water going forward. I doubt if a Chrysler mid sized replacement is far away, and you can bet it will be competitive fuel mileage and option wise.

I wouldn't bet on that considering the 300 outsells the MKS 6 to 1 and in some ways is more luxurious in that you can get powerful V8, something a flagship luxury vehicle should offer as an option. Yeah, EB V6 is fine and dandy, but still would take a V8 in that class just like I would take a 5.0 Mustang over a EB one. With the new Dart coming on line, Chrysler all of a sudden looks very competitive and puts Ford and GM on notice. You just know Dart sales are going to come out of someone's hide.

Lets see:

2011 Sales

36K 300

70K Charger

40K Challenger

Total= 146K units

Ford D platform sales

70K Taurus

135K Explorer

27K Flex

12K MKS

5K MKT

Total: 249K units....

As for the Dart...seems like its decent, but lets see how the buying public takes to it....

Lets see:

2011 Sales

36K 300

70K Charger

40K Challenger

Total= 146K units

Ford D platform sales

70K Taurus

135K Explorer

27K Flex

12K MKS

5K MKT

Total: 249K units....

As for the Dart...seems like its decent, but lets see how the buying public takes to it....

Wow. 300 is only outselling MKS 3-to-1? Even I figured it would be more than that.

Since...... your mom.

Sure, another explanation will be proffered, but it won't make any more sense than this one.

That's kind of what I was thinking. The days of "needing" a V8 are drawing to a close. The only place that is still applicable is in the performance car area. And even that is going downhill.

Wow. 300 is only outselling MKS 3-to-1? Even I figured it would be more than that.

I believe Chrysler's overall sales through April are up about 35% over 2011 and 300 is up more than that. In April alone, the 300 sells as well as the Taurus which was in 6,000 range to MKS at 1,300 or so. I suspect the 300 sales range through April will hold up pretty well for 2012. In fact, the 300 now sells about as well as the Charger without all the cop sales. The 300 and Charger offer a nice one, two punch. Now Chrysler just needs a competitive mid sizer. Not a fan of the 200 and Dodge version of same.

That's kind of what I was thinking. The days of "needing" a V8 are drawing to a close. The only place that is still applicable is in the performance car area. And even that is going downhill.

So you think that still holds true in the sport coupe segment, or only the luxury segmen?. I wonder how many luxury brands offer V8 option in their flagship whether it is high performance sport model or not. Who is going to be first in not offering V8 in sport coupe segment, Ford, GM, or Chrysler? The verdict is still out on Ford not offering V6 anymore on its cars other than Stang and Taurus. I guess I will have to drive an EB 4 banger and see if it's overall as smooth as a V6. It will be interesting to see if Camry, Accord, and Altima keep V6's for next 10 years or so and see how that plays out in comparison. I personally still equate 4 bangers with my youth and buzzing rear view mirrors.

Those aren't powered by pushrods, and every luxury mfr. offering a V8 sedan has about a $60k buy-in, which puts them in pretty much a whole other ball park as compared to the Chrysler.

Those were the Mulsanne, Brooklands, Azure, and Arnage. Each and every one is/was powered by Bentley's 6.75L OHV V8 (save for two years when BMW owned Bentley). Only Bentley's Continental line currently uses any sort of DOHC engine.

Anyway, akirby asked "since when did pushrod V8s equal luxury?" Bentley would say something like "oh, since the 1950s."

Chrysler's not quite sure what it wants to be in the present day and age. Looks like they want to move up, looks like they don't want to leave Dodge in the cold all alone. Kinda like a blend of Mercury and Lincoln.

Those were the Mulsanne, Brooklands, Azure, and Arnage. Each and every one is/was powered by Bentley's 6.75L OHV V8 (save for two years when BMW owned Bentley). Only Bentley's Continental line currently uses any sort of DOHC engine.

Anyway, akirby asked "since when did pushrod V8s equal luxury?" Bentley would say something like "oh, since the 1950s."

Chrysler's not quite sure what it wants to be in the present day and age. Looks like they want to move up, looks like they don't want to leave Dodge in the cold all alone. Kinda like a blend of Mercury and Lincoln.

Biggest difference to me between Ford and Chrysler not withstanding the bailout and profit margin is that Ford pretty much knows what it wants to be and Chrysler is still a work in progress and still seems befuddled. Chrysler probably needs to be turned into a true luxury brand with Dodge being the more affordable brand. The lines are still too blurry. The 300 to my mind is 75% there already. Keep the mini van for Dodge and turn the Town and Country into a luxury crossover. Add in a few more vehicles to round out the lineup. Sell the hell out of Dodge and Jeep and move Chrysler into true luxury brand.

That's an OHV engine? Really? Never knew that.

Pointlessly expensive luxury vehicles aside, the point remains valid: A pushrod V8 does not turn a vehicle into a luxury product.

And, BTW, Bentley and Rolls Royce are pretty much proof that the real problem with Jaguar is that they weren't expensive enough. You get up in the $300k price range, and you can get people to buy just about anything, regardless of how ugly its combination of traditional and modern styling. Provided it's got the right name on the hood.

That's an OHV engine? Really? Never knew that.

Pointlessly expensive luxury vehicles aside, the point remains valid: A pushrod V8 does not turn a vehicle into a luxury product.

And, BTW, Bentley and Rolls Royce are pretty much proof that the real problem with Jaguar is that they weren't expensive enough. You get up in the $300k price range, and you can get people to buy just about anything, regardless of how ugly its combination of traditional and modern styling. Provided it's got the right name on the hood.

I looked at it a different way. I've spoken to Europeans who have said that those on that side of the pond view pushrods as "truck engines" that have no place in a luxury automobile.

I see your point with Bentley and RR... and counter it with Maybach. :poke:

There was a jag XJ-S in Classic Car Trader some years back that had a 4.6 and tranny swapped into it. I remember it because it was supposedly done by a Ford dealership mechanic, and I admit pining a little because that Jag is one I always found attractive...but I would never miss the nightmarish wiring and what-not.