The Siri button comes to all cars, except Ford.

That's why you make it a "Voice Command" button, not a "Siri" button. Android accepts voice commands as well.

I would have much less trouble with adding a button for "Voice Command" that would work with any phone than this button that is touted (by Apple of course) as being a Siri button. You know, I wonder if that is really what this is, it just seems to be geared toward Apple since they made the announcement (funnily enough, without the approval of most of the automakers). My headset will allow me to send voice commands to my phone by holding in the button. Maybe we are all just getting bent out of shape for nothing and this is a more generic button?

Yeah, that'll be super-awesome when Apple unceremoniously dumps Siri in the third year of your lease.

I agree, we need to stop these feature roll outs because they might break or become obsolete. Just terrible what's happening with cars now! I mean, when I buy my next used car I'm sure the integrated car phone won't be supported anymore! Cars need to be dumber, simpler, and more 10+ year friendly. And better yet, lets drop in our own half-baked system that will make people laugh in 10 years too!

And think about it: How useful is Siri?

There is a degree of privacy that goes with typing that absolutely vanishes when you're sitting in a cafe practically shouting crap like: "Siri, show me my facebook updates."

"What are my appointments today?"

"Set a new reminder to pick up a clue for Richard tomorrow at 9AM"

"Text Richard and tell him to get off it already!"

Siri is awesome, I use it every day and it would be even more useful in my car.

Edited by BORG

I agree, we need to stop these feature roll outs because they might break or become obsolete. Just terrible what's happening with cars now! I mean, when I buy my next used car I'm sure the integrated car phone won't be supported anymore! Cars need to be dumber, simpler, and more 10+ year friendly. And better yet, lets drop in our own half-baked system that will make people laugh in 10 years too!

"What are my appointments today?"

"Set a new reminder to pick up a clue for Richard tomorrow at 9AM"

"Text Richard and tell him to get off it already!"

Siri is awesome, I use it every day and it would be even more useful in my car.

It's an interesting feature, but really, is it really going to change the vehicle you want to buy because one has this and one doesn't? as Premier pointed out, if you like everything else about your MKX, you could very well be disappointed with everything else about the SRX. But hot damn, it has a Siri button!

As was already pointed out - a generic phone voice control feature that would work not only with Siri but any other smartphone would be much more useful. Just like Sync allows connection with multiple mp3 players and even usb drives with mp3s instead of only allowing an iPod connection.

As was already pointed out - a generic phone voice control feature that would work not only with Siri but any other smartphone would be much more useful. Just like Sync allows connection with multiple mp3 players and even usb drives with mp3s instead of only allowing an iPod connection.

There would need to be some agreed upon standard in the phone industry to make that work though, along the lines of bluetooth. It would be endlessly difficult to program a button to interact with every phone model otherwise.

There would need to be some agreed upon standard in the phone industry to make that work though, along the lines of bluetooth. It would be endlessly difficult to program a button to interact with every phone model otherwise.

How is the Siri button going to work as far as getting the command back to the phone? Bluetooth or usb? Whatever that method turns out to be could be duplicated as a standard for all mfrs.

Bluetooth.

However, it's a proprietary signal, and Apple will not allow manufacturers to use that proprietary signal as part of a system that sends other signals to other phones.

As Scott McNealy said of Jobs: "Apple is beyond proprietary, and the consumer has no idea that they are checking into the roach motel."

How is the Siri button going to work as far as getting the command back to the phone? Bluetooth or usb? Whatever that method turns out to be could be duplicated as a standard for all mfrs.

Via BT. The same way it worked on my old Windows Mobile 5.0 phone, my BlackBerry, and my Windows Phone 7.5. Hold the button on my BT headset and the phone accepts voice commands. Shouldn't be hard to implement the same way for Apple, if they choose to (if they don't already). But, like RJ says, they probably don't and won't, just because Apple is Apple.

I still don't get the point of the Siri button...all it is a remote button to activate Siri...it doesn't let you play your iPhone (or other iDevice) though your entertainment system in your car.

Does it have a mike in it so it can understand you if your phone is in a pocket book, pocket or console?

If thats all it is, Apple is just better off selling it as a steering wheel attachment button...

I still don't get the point of the Siri button...all it is a remote button to activate Siri...it doesn't let you play your iPhone (or other iDevice) though your entertainment system in your car.

Does it have a mike in it so it can understand you if your phone is in a pocket book, pocket or console?

If thats all it is, Apple is just better off selling it as a steering wheel attachment button...

It uses the mic and speakers in the car to communicate with the phone which can be left in your pocket.

I didn't realize BT already supported 2 way audio - if so then Ford Sync could easily mimic this with non Apple phones with a simple voice command.

It uses the mic and speakers in the car to communicate with the phone which can be left in your pocket.

I didn't realize BT already supported 2 way audio - if so then Ford Sync could easily mimic this with non Apple phones with a simple voice command.

Yeah, I wish Sync did that already. For instance, I didn't download my phones's phone book into Sync in the Flex, so if I want to voice dial with my phone paired, I either have to know the number, or (heaven forbid!!) hit the voice button on the phone. I wish there was a voice command through Sync that skips Sync and sends the next command straight to the phone.