Jack lets another get away, or pushes him out

Well that's the final straw for me as to NASCAR, Dale jarret was the first. Disgusting, and I no it sounds stupid but I never liked Toyota being allowed in NASCAR. Should have been kept all American. And I don't want to hear any crap about Toyotas being made in USA.

NASCAR started with foreign cars. It was never "all American".

• Like 1

I'm gonna hate seeing Matt Kenseth behind the wheel of a Toyota.

I won't be watching. I finally don't care, and there are alternatives. I'd rather watch Oz V-8's, for example. The Bathurst race makes NASCAR look pretty Mickey Mouse. Real headlights, even, but that's stock car racing.

I can't wait for the France family to endorse the SMART for Two as the official Gofer Buggy of NASCAR. We got banal, here, folks, the definition of short-sighted crass.

IMHO, if Ford is taking the Mustang global, maybe looking at the FIA regs now and trying to work out where the Mustang can compete, and take 50% of the NASCAR budget and people to run the required teams, might be a better RO!. The FIA might even welcome the idea, who knows? :)

• Like 2

Jack's paranoid about loosing young high-level talent after the way Evernham and the France Family teamed up to yank Kasey Kahne away from Ford, so I'm not surprised Stenhouse is staying and one of the vets is leaving. He'd probably prefer to keep both, but he's having a devil of a time getting sponsors despite his drivers' consistency.

This news was absolutely devastating to me. I live about 30 minutes from Cambridge, WI (where Matt is from), and this news is something I wish was a bad dream. I can't stomach Matt driving a GIbbs car or anything other than a Ford. I've been a loyal follower of Matt for years.

I think this move is going to have a lot of backlash, and I honestly don't understand it in a lot of ways. Especially since just a month ago Matt said "I can't imagine driving anywhere else." And this was Matt's decision. I have no doubts about that.

Shocked. In disbelief. I don't even know the words.

How can the points leader and a previous champion who has been running awesome each week end up in a position like this?

I don't know if I can watch NASCAR anymore, let alone cheer on Matt in a different make. I have been looking forward to seeing Matt run the new Fusion for months ... but I guess I'll never see it. Such a shame. I was ready to give NASCAR another try solely because of this:

2013-Ford-Fusion-NASCAR-Sprint-Cup-Series-Car_large.jpg

And now my favorite driver leaves Ford. Ford is just stupid. They lose talented drivers every year.

First it was Jeff. Then it was Mark. Now it's Matt. Roush's elder statesmen is Biffle now. And that's just messed up.

Roush's plans to promote within are fine ... but only if you don't do so at the expense of others! :(

Edited by SVT_MAN
  • Like 2

2013-Ford-Fusion-NASCAR-Sprint-Cup-Series-Car_large.jpg

And now my favorite driver leaves Ford. Ford is just stupid. They lose talented drivers every year.

Ford's far from stupid, they're just low on options. Jack can't the money together to field a 4th car without sponsorship and NONE of the Ford teams are doing well on the sponsorship front. Penske and RPM appear stuck at 2 cars each, and that's the end of Ford teams who could afford to pay Matt what he's worth. The GM uber-teams may be fairly full up, but Toyota would love to pinch Stenhouse the way Dodge pinched Kahne.

I won't be watching. I finally don't care, and there are alternatives. I'd rather watch Oz V-8's, for example. The Bathurst race makes NASCAR look pretty Mickey Mouse. Real headlights, even, but that's stock car racing.

I can't wait for the France family to endorse the SMART for Two as the official Gofer Buggy of NASCAR. We got banal, here, folks, the definition of short-sighted crass.

IMHO, if Ford is taking the Mustang global, maybe looking at the FIA regs now and trying to work out where the Mustang can compete, and take 50% of the NASCAR budget and people to run the required teams, might be a better RO!. The FIA might even welcome the idea, who knows? :)

I wish we had a version of the OZ V-8 races here. I still look back at the vintage Nascar and USAC races when "Stock Car" was still descriptive, instead of a trade name. I would love to see a true Stock Car competition among the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger.

My real interest in Nascar died when the last Thunderbird piloted by Bill Elliott was retired.

When Gibbs lost out on Carl Edwards last year, I'm sure Toyota & Home Depot said do whatever needs to be done to get Kenseth and there was no way for Jack to match it after having to payout so much to Carl last year. It sucks that Matt is leaving, but what can you do. This now opens up a Cup car for Ricky and potentially a fourth car for Trevor. Plus, Penske will have 3 cars next year and I would be surprised to see RPM switch back to Dodge. Ford is leading the points and they have 3 drivers in the top 11. They will be okay without Matt.

I wish we had a version of the OZ V-8 races here. I still look back at the vintage Nascar and USAC races when "Stock Car" was still descriptive, instead of a trade name. I would love to see a true Stock Car competition among the Mustang, Camaro and Challenger.

My real interest in Nascar died when the last Thunderbird piloted by Bill Elliott was retired.

The V8 Supercars are coming to Austin, Texas next year, I plan on going.

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/everything’s-bigger-in-texas/tabid/70/newsid/11406/default.aspx

• Like 1

Plus, Penske will have 3 cars next year and I would be surprised to see RPM switch back to Dodge.

You don't think Ford will cut RPM loose? Ford will have two top flight teams with Roush and Penske. Dodge is in a world of hurt in NASCAR with the loss of Penske as they don't have a team that is self-sufficient as far as chassis fabrication and an engine program. There are rumors that RPM will go back to Dodge. RPM isn't a shop that does fabrication and it doesn't have an engine program, but Dodge may be out of options if they want to remain involved in NASCAR.

When Gibbs lost out on Carl Edwards last year, I'm sure Toyota & Home Depot said do whatever needs to be done to get Kenseth and there was no way for Jack to match it after having to payout so much to Carl last year. It sucks that Matt is leaving, but what can you do. This now opens up a Cup car for Ricky and potentially a fourth car for Trevor. Plus, Penske will have 3 cars next year and I would be surprised to see RPM switch back to Dodge. Ford is leading the points and they have 3 drivers in the top 11. They will be okay without Matt.

Yes Ford does have 3 in the top 11 but number 1 is Matt.

when "Stock Car" was still descriptive

Note the normal ride height and no ground effects. Hello NASCAR? Do that, and get rid of restrictor plates.

Riverside, California, January 17, 1965. Junior Johnson (No. 27 Holly Farms Poultry Ford) rounds Turn 6 in the Motor Trend 500

mtrsptshist_1146.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1340637104917

You don't think Ford will cut RPM loose?

I don't think so. If Ford managed their Nascar program that way, the Wood Bros. would've been gone a loooooong time ago.

I've said it before, Ford's Nascar operation seems to run off the kind of loyalty that is in short supply everywhere else.

I don't think so. If Ford managed their Nascar program that way, the Wood Bros. would've been gone a loooooong time ago.

I've said it before, Ford's Nascar operation seems to run off the kind of loyalty that is in short supply everywhere else.

I'd say Edsel Ford has a lot to do with that...

Cutting them loose may have been a poor choice of words. Poached/bribed/stolen/appropriated by Dodge is more the intent than Ford wanting to let them go. Or does Dodge bail on NASCAR?

Cutting them loose may have been a poor choice of words. Poached/bribed/stolen/appropriated by Dodge is more the intent than Ford wanting to let them go. Or does Dodge bail on NASCAR?

My first response assumed that you were referring to a better offer from Dodge, but I altered it to address the post as written instead... :D

I don't know if Richard Petty would go back to Dodge at this point. I can't imagine that the decision to switch to Ford was made lightly. Aside from that one year (69, right?), Petty avoided Ford like the plague for what? 50 years? Close to it?

I mean, look at it from Petty's viewpoint: You were basically relegated to scraps and leftovers for years, then all the other Dodge teams quit, and the same people that were happy to see you at the bottom of the pecking order come around promising that you'll be their factory team... How would you respond?

Frankly, the last people in Nascar that understand Petty are probably all at Ford or Ford teams.

I look at the INDY Car series..its now mostly Honda and Toyota. I look at the truck series..its mostly Toyota. I will expect NASCAR Sprint Series to soon be mostly Toyota and GM. Ford can't pay the price like Toyota for drivers. There is no loyalty in NASCAR....eg...Dale Jarrett...Bill Elliott...Mark Martin...all were promoted by Ford....now, you see them driving Japanese Toyotas. Jarrett is the worse, since he helped goofy Waltrip with his once struggling Toyota Teams before going to TV announcing. Hey...why is that loser Kenny Wallace ALWAYS wearing that Toyota shirt on the Nascar talk show......he bugs me.

Bottomline...I think Ford should pull out...it doesn't sell cars like the old days. NASCAR hasn't sold out a Sprint race in a long time.