Ford to recall 485,000 small SUVs to fix throttles

And yet another recall for older model Escapes. Not a banner year for Ford, but at least they're doing what is necessary.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/US_FORD_ESCAPE_RECALL?SITE=AP&SECTION=HOME&TEMPLATE=DEFAULT&CTIME=2012-07-26-13-02-10

While this may be another stumble for Ford, can anyone answer me why Toyota has many more recalls, but still is the top selling nameplate?

ChuckZ

Harvest, AL

While this may be another stumble for Ford, can anyone answer me why Toyota has many more recalls, but still is the top selling nameplate?

Reputations don't falter overnight. It took many continuous years of bad products and bad service for the domestics to lose their grip on the US auto industry. If Toyota (and Honda lately with recalls and styling) continue to stumble, it will eventually take a toll, but it won't happen overnight.

Reputations don't falter overnight. It took many continuous years of bad products and bad service for the domestics to lose their grip on the US auto industry. If Toyota (and Honda lately with recalls and styling) continue to stumble, it will eventually take a toll, but it won't happen overnight.

Exactly. People who are happy with a product will overlook problems - up to a point.

That's not the first recall for sticking throttles on the Escape. I remember a few years ago picking up friend who had to drop off her previous generation Escape before 2009-12 model that had sticking throttle. It was a recall and they replaced the part. I forget her year, but it was probably early 2000 model. I know it was sticking on her before the recall as engine speed would not come back to idle with foot off accelerator. Luckily recall came at same time trouble showed up saving her some money. Surprised about another recall on this problem.

It's a bit of a stretch if the auto world ties this recall to the 2013 recalls.

It's not a stretch at all. This recall is doing damage to the Escape brand. With the problematic new one, and this massive recall, it would not be surprising to see potential customers buy something else.

This is the first time I've heard of this. I had an '01 Escape with this powertrain and didn't experience ANY problems and only one recall for something having to do with the 3.0 intake. This happening right while the EB1.6 is having a part issue is definitely a double bogey. Not good news and will undoubtedly cost sales.

Quote todays Free Press article: " For the problem to happen, the pedals must be pushed to or near the floor, and the cruise-control cables must have been bent or moved from their original position!" OK...does this mean that somebody working on the car (after it was built correctly) that created the problem?

Edited by bobbyd

Quote todays Free Press article: " For the problem to happen, the pedals must be pushed to or near the floor, and the cruise-control cables must have been bent or moved from their original position!" OK...does this mean that somebody working on the car (after it was built correctly) that created the problem?

From what I understand, its another recall to correct work of earlier recall?

From what I understand, its another recall to correct work of earlier recall?

Or other work done by "mechanics". Changing spark plugs on the Escape requires the removal of upper intake and throttle body. If you try to save a few steps by positioning stuff out of the way, or twising the loose throttle cables into a pretzel to hold them out of the way, problems can occur. I think if you kink up the cruise cables on just about any vehicle the same situation could occur. I'm not sure why it's more likely on an Escape than a Taurus, Five Hundred (drive by wire throttle) or Lincoln LS that used the same engine.

Edited by Hoser768