2014 Mazda6 breaks cover in Moscow

silvrsvt

Oh, good thing they added Skyactiv-G 2.5-liter! The 2.0 is kind of weak for the weight. And for the economical ones - regenerative breaking plus stop/start technology.

I'm completely happy with the new design language direction after their current "goofy smile" theme. I know that in a few years if I'll need to buy another car, cool-looking Mazdas will be ready to choose from :shades:

• 4 months later...

Pricing, specifications, and EPA fuel economy figures for the U.S. market 2014 Mazda6 have been announced.

• 2.5L SKYACTIV-G gasoline engine, 184 horsepower at 5,700 rpm and 185 lb-ft of torque at 3,250 rpm
  • 25 mpg city/37 mpg highway/29 mpg combined for 6-speed manual; 26/38/30 for 6-speed automatic
  • $21,675 including destination charge for base model (i Sport 6MT)

Press release

Pricing details

Brochure with features and specifications

They need to have someone check their material for errors. The brochure lists the manual transmission as available on both the sport and touring trims. The press release and pricing details list the manual as only available on the sport trim level.

I agree CheesyRider. The brochure is from the LA Auto Show, so perhaps Mazda originally intended to offer the manual transmission on both Sport and Touring trims and then made a last minute change before today's press release.

And then rewind to now with Fusion 1.6 Ecoboost which doesn't have a lethargic engine
and achieves basically the same fuel economy as the new Mazda 6:

Fusion 1.6 Ecoboost:
23/36/28 (Automatic)
25/37/29 (Manual)
24/37/28 (Auto Start-Stop)

This is why Mazda is technically good delivering real weight reductions but then sticks
with a NA DI engine that really struggles to bring the goods when geared for economy..

And then rewind to now with Fusion 1.6 Ecoboost which doesn't have a lethargic engine

Fusion 1.6 Ecoboost:

23/36/28 (Automatic)

25/37/29 (Manual)

This is why Mazda is technically good delivering real weight reductions but then sticks

with a NA DI engine that really struggles to bring the goods when geared for economy..

Lethargic and unrefined describes the 1.6L engine in Fusion and Escape when paired with an automatic tranny. It's responsive at lower speeds but quickly runs out of breath, and real world fuel economy isn't anything spectacular. For reference, review results of the midsize sedan comparison test that included a 2013 Fusion 1.6L 6AT in the November 2012 issue of Car and Driver, along with Consumer Reports' evaluation of two 2013 Ford Escapes (a 1.6L SE and a 2.0L Titanium) in the November 2012 issue of that publication.

Back to the Mazda6: since the 2.5L MZR engine in the previous Mazda6 provided competitive performance, the more powerful 2.5L SKYACTIV unit in a car that's lighter should present no issues at all with "bringing the goods" in the 2014 Mazda6.

Already on sale in Australia ...LINK

The diesel versions are around 20% better again in fuel econony

Euro combined Fuel economy

Gasoline 2.5 I-4 = 6.6 l/100 km ( US 36 mpg)

Diesel 2.5 I-4 = 5.4 l/100 km ( US 44 mpg)

I assure you guys, Euro combined figures are easy to achieve in mixed driving

and in that situation, a diesel will get same or better economy than a comparable hybrid.

Edited by jpd80
  • Like 1

Lethargic and unrefined describes the 1.6L engine in Fusion and Escape when paired with an automatic tranny. It's responsive at lower speeds but quickly runs out of breath, and real world fuel economy isn't anything spectacular. For reference, review results of the midsize sedan comparison test that included a 2013 Fusion 1.6L 6AT in the November 2012 issue of Car and Driver, along with Consumer Reports' evaluation of two 2013 Ford Escapes (a 1.6L SE and a 2.0L Titanium) in the November 2012 issue of that publication.

Back to the Mazda6: since the 2.5L MZR engine in the previous Mazda6 provided competitive performance, the more powerful 2.5L SKYACTIV unit in a car that's lighter should present no issues at all with "bringing the goods" in the 2014 Mazda6.

This is parallel universe stuff for Ford, Mazda 6 and 2.5 DI embodies a what if Ford kept Mazda and its CD3 based Fusion and developed it further....

The Mazda 6 is a nice effort but let's not kid ourselves that it reaches a much smaller buyer audience than either Fusion or Mondeo.

Fusion 1.6 Ecoboost:

23/36/28 (Automatic)

25/37/29 (Manual)

On the other hand, the Skyactiv-G outdoes the 2.5 in the Fusion in both power and FE. Maybe that's what they were going for.