Ford Flex leads fullsize SUV sales in California

It's cavernous. It's quirky. It uses much less fuel than a Tahoe or Suburban.

This is why is does better in Cali than in other regions.

I do wonder how it would fare with a hybrid engine.

Maybe a V6 hybrid so it still has plenty of go...

I don't think the article said "Flex leads fullsize SUV sales in California".

The only "leads" it mentioned was the "13.5%" for Flex vs. "8.2%" for all Fords in the CA/National comparison.

It leads all vehicles offered by Ford, General Motors and Chrysler as the model with the highest share of its registrations nationally in California, according to Polk. California accounts for 13.5% of all Flex sales in the U.S. through the end of September but for just 8.2% of Ford's sales nationally.

I bet even in CA, Explorer sells more than Flex.

I don't think the article said "Flex leads fullsize SUV sales in California".

The only "leads" it mentioned was the "13.5%" for Flex vs. "8.2%" for all Fords in the CA/National comparison.

I bet even in CA, Explorer sells more than Flex.

it does.....yet I would take a Flex over an Explorer, personally, ANY day of the week....thats second row comfort is beyond reproach, and the car feels more pinned to the ground, I DO like the looks of the Explorer though....

Sure is and while flex migh not sell anywhere near the originally anticipated figures,

I'm sure that Ford is pleased with the high ATPs being achieved, every sale makes good money.

Oh, no, I'm sure Ford execs are crying in their cereal this morning, bemoaning the fact that the Flex isn't the top-selling car in the whole entire world and working on a plan to increase market share at the expense of profits... :stirpot:

Oh, no, I'm sure Ford execs are crying in their cereal this morning, bemoaning the fact that the Flex isn't the top-selling car in the whole entire world and working on a plan to increase market share at the expense of profits... :stirpot:

Where did you see the press release that Ford hired Wagoner and Lutz?

• Like 1

I would love a change in trends that got it more sales...as it's refreshing in a sea of melted-soap-bar crossovers. I admit that I look at its practicality in terms of hauling band equipment/people...and that I already have an Expy, so I'm not needing a truck...but I really like that it's close to the classic wagon type, which did more than acceptably in hauling Americans forever.

Mommy vans and never-see-dirt SUVs/crossovers do the same job, but usually with higher gas usage and the sad styling that makes too many vehicles look too similar. I'd buy and Ecoboost Flex tomorrow if the money was sitting around.

This is impressive as the Flex isn't marketed as a high volume vehicle... It is marketed around its quirkiness and high equipment. Earlier I got convinced of the value of the Flex in the lineup, and those who did so are right. Although it sounds weird the Flex can be thought along the same liens as a "halo-car"... Not in the traditional sense, but a car with lots of good word of mouth that helps shape a good opinion of the Ford brand as a whole. And the high ATPs allow it to do this while still being a low volume seller.

In this regard I got to wonder if Ford should think about continuing it... Unlike rumor that it is will soon be discontinued. Could the next Flex continue on as a exclusive top hat on the upcoming S-Max MPV? S-Max is practically the same type of vehicle, minivan and utility alternative, and the Fusion/Monedo based powertrain options would emphasize its mpg advantages. Wasn't the Flex originally supposed to be ont he old Fusion/Edge platform, but there were some issues that drove it to D3?

This is impressive as the Flex isn't marketed as a high volume vehicle... It is marketed around its quirkiness and high equipment. Earlier I got convinced of the value of the Flex in the lineup, and those who did so are right. Although it sounds weird the Flex can be thought along the same liens as a "halo-car"... Not in the traditional sense, but a car with lots of good word of mouth that helps shape a good opinion of the Ford brand as a whole. And the high ATPs allow it to do this while still being a low volume seller.

In this regard I got to wonder if Ford should think about continuing it... Unlike rumor that it is will soon be discontinued. Could the next Flex continue on as a exclusive top hat on the upcoming S-Max MPV? S-Max is practically the same type of vehicle, minivan and utility alternative, and the Fusion/Monedo based powertrain options would emphasize its mpg advantages. Wasn't the Flex originally supposed to be ont he old Fusion/Edge platform, but there were some issues that drove it to D3?

Well if the S-max is going to morph into the new Edge, I couldn't see why a longer wheelbase Galaxy couldn't morph into the next gen Flex.

I twould depend on whether market research deemed the endeavor worthwhile given the product envelope and costs

Flex was originally planned on CD3S (Mazda CX9 & Edge) but Ford chose D3 probably because of the push to justify D3 at the time.

Imagine if OAP had become a dedicated CD3S plant, Edge, MKX, Flex and MKT all on the same platform...

Edited by jpd80

Well if the S-max is going to morph into the new Edge, I couldn't see why a longer wheelbase Galaxy couldn't morph into the next gen Flex.

I twould depend on whether market research deemed the endeavor worthwhile given the product envelope and costs

Flex was originally planned on CD3S (Mazda CX9 & Edge) but Ford chose D3 probably because of the push to justify D3 at the time.

Imagine if OAP had become a dedicated CD3S plant, Edge, MKX, Flex and MKT all on the same platform...

The article I linked recently claims that OAP will morph into a CD4 plant, and all those products (no mention of MKT) will move to a modded CD4 chassis. The article said that the chassis would spawn a new minivan entrant for Ford. If all that is as claimed, most of what you wrote will come to pass.

The article I linked recently claims that OAP will morph into a CD4 plant, and all those products (no mention of MKT) will move to a modded CD4 chassis. The article said that the chassis would spawn a new minivan entrant for Ford. If all that is as claimed, most of what you wrote will come to pass.

Thanks Harley Lover and adding to to that, CAW was given promises of new products for OAP

with increases in work force hopefully picking up some ex STAP employees, so it all sound rather positive.