2013 Titanium horrible MPG so far.

marjen

Ok so not sure what is up, but man I am getting really bad MPG so far. The instrument cluster says I am averaging 18 mpg. I dont even think its that high. Car has 540 miles on it. It came with a full tank and I have so far done filled up once from half tank and another from 1/4 tank. Right now I am almost at 1/2 tank and I have only gone 110 miles. I am doing mostly around town and NOT pushing it. ANyone else having MPG issues.

Start doing the math so your not guessing. Keep track of miles driven/gas used. It's the only

way to check mileage. Like I said before "relax" and let your car get broken in a little. If you have

been doing all in town driving, with a brand new car, you can't expect to get the EPA #'s yet.

• Like 1

Definitely not driving hard. Much more delicately than i did my maxima. That I drove fairly hard and still got 22-23 mpg. I was hoping this would be an upgrade. I have put way too much gas into this for only having driven 540 miles.

Did you reset the avg mpg???

• Like 1

Also, what octane are you using? As I know it, you can use regular (87 octane), but you get a decrease in HP vs using Premium (91+ octane) fuel. I wonder if there is a difference in MPG between the two as well. It could also be the blend of fuel you are using depending on your location, due to gas stations switching to a winter blend.

You will get better mileage using straight gasoline than using a gas/ethanol blend.

Most 87 octane (around here at least) is a 10-15% ethanol blend, most premium

91 or 92 octane fuel is a non blend (look on the pump as some are blends).

My wife's '10 Fusion gets about 2-3 mpg better with the non blended gas depending

on the season and whether it is ciy or highway. You also loose 1-2 mpg around here

in the winter because of the additives they put in it.

Edited by scott029
  • Like 1

There is absolutely no point in worrying about gas mileage until you hit at least 1,500 miles. I've commonly seen friends have their gas mileage increase up to 10k miles because their engine just took a while to break in (they probably drove like a granny). Also going by the computer in the car is very inaccurate, calculate your mileage by hand if you want it to be even remotely accurate.

Ok, I wont trust the computer. But at the moment, I am sitting at just over 1/2 tank and driven 110 miles. I filled the tank last time i went. So from full tank to about 1/2, tank is what 17 gallons? 110 miles on 8 gallons? That is 13.75? I wont get crazy right now, but needless to say I am concerned.

You can trust the computer - it's pretty close. But you need to RESET it otherwise it gives you the last 500 miles or so which could be skewed by the delivery process and the first tank or two.

Just reset the avg mpg at least each time you fill up and see how it goes.

That's odd, I get 27 mpg average but a lot of my driving is freeway. I get between 22 and 25 in the city though. Then again I'm already 2k miles in, initially I was getting 25 highway. Definitely wait for your first 1000-1500 miles and then start worrying if it's still that bad.

Ok I just had to fill my tank as I had to go on 80 miles round trip and it said I had 90 miles till empty. And so far on this tank only 176 miles in. So When I filled up, it took 9.6 gallons. So 176/9.6 comes out to about 18.34 miles per gallon. Ouch. One of the reasons I switched from the Max to this was to getting better milage and so far worse. Also I should not have to try Premium when the car says to use regular, that was another reason, the Max required Premium, so I figured better milage and regular gas would equal $$$. Hope this gets better, not able to get 300 miles on a tank??? That is bad.

Ok I just had to fill my tank as I had to go on 80 miles round trip and it said I had 90 miles till empty. And so far on this tank only 176 miles in. So When I filled up, it took 9.6 gallons. So 176/9.6 comes out to about 18.34 miles per gallon. Ouch. One of the reasons I switched from the Max to this was to getting better milage and so far worse. Also I should not have to try Premium when the car says to use regular, that was another reason, the Max required Premium, so I figured better milage and regular gas would equal $$$. Hope this gets better, not able to get 300 miles on a tank??? That is bad.

I don't know why you have such bad mileage, I regularly get 300+ miles to a tank. Granted I drive more highway, but that shouldn't be that low!

• 2 weeks later...

Ok next tank in the books. I went 260.2 miles and filled up 13.4 gallons so 19.4 mpg. A little better than last time BUT I spent about 1/4 at least doing highway miles with no traffic. So still not what I was hoping for. However I guess some of this is my fault. I thought it was supposed to get 25/31. I guess I meshed the base engine numbers with the titanium numbers. Most of my driving is around town, not stop and go, but 40-50 mph stop signs or lights every few miles. I honestly expected a little better than this. I thought the ecoboost was supposed to be more fuel efficient, oh well should have gone for the hybrid i guess.