Issues with MFT

FusionHybrid2013

I have read about issues with MFT, but none of what I read seems to be the same as the trouble that I have recently begun to experience with my 2013 Fusion Hybrid MFT system. I had been using my phone as a music player (via bluetooth) for about the first 5 weeks that I owned the car. It worked great. Then last week MFT stopped recognizing my phone as a media player, although it still works fine for making calls. When I click on the BT audio MFT says that it is trying to connect to my phone, but then never does and just defaults back to whatever was playing prior to trying to connect. I gave MFT the benefit of the doubt and chalked it up to possibly being either an issue with the phone or MFT. No worries, I popped in a USB drive to play my music (which I learned has a much better interface anyway). That worked for about another week until this morning. Now it says that my USB drive isn't supported (even though it was working fine for the past week). So now, BT audio and USB audio have both broken in the first 6 weeks... not a good sign. I have read that there is a way to reboot MFT (I will look it up unless someone knows how to do it off the top of their head), so I will try that on my way home from work except I don't think that I should need to do that on a brand new car nor do I think that a brand new car should have 2 issues so quickly.

My questions are: Has anyone else experienced either of these issues? Does anyone have any suggestions other than the MFT reboot? I will try a different USB stick (I have like 20 of those things) if the reboot doesn't work.

On a positive note, I am starting to get the hang of driving a hybrid. I got 46.3 mpg (Pic) on my way into work this morning. Counterproductive to what I thought, I get better gas mileage when I do heavy/quick acceleration rather than a slow gradual acceleration. I don't know why, but I am pretty sure that it is accurate.

post-48817-0-16026500-1352902273_thumb.jpg

Edited by FusionHybrid2013

In the system settings there is an option to restore to factory default. I would give that a whirl in addition to a reboot by pulling the fuse. Of course no new vehicle should have problems, but really, pretty much all of them do. MFT is buggy and still needs some work for sure. Hope one of those fixes works for you.

Register at syncmyride.com and check for a firmware update. There is a tsb or recall on the MFT right now.

I don't think it shows up on syncmyride.com - check with the dealer. If you have Navigation it requires a new SD card.

If the problems continue after the 3.5 update and it happens with more than one device, you may have a bad APIM (hardware controller). I think they're still getting an occasional flaky one from their supplier.

There are no bugs in the current software that would preclude that setup from working. It has to be either a temporary glitch that a reset will resolve or bad hardware that can be replaced. Or the firmware just needs to be reloaded but that would be rare.

After the new software is loaded make sure to do a master reset from the menu or better yet pull the negative battery cable to rest all of the components.

I don't think it shows up on syncmyride.com - check with the dealer. If you have Navigation it requires a new SD card.

If the problems continue after the 3.5 update and it happens with more than one device, you may have a bad APIM (hardware controller). I think they're still getting an occasional flaky one from their supplier.

Syncmyride doesn't show any new updates. I am on Sync VersionGen2 - V3.2.2. If there is a version 3.5, then it isn't shown on the website.

I do have navigation as well, so you think the dealers are equipped with a sync update that isn't available on the website?

What's the best way to stream music from an iPhone? USB Cable or Bluetooth?

By 'best' I mean does album art/song info/artist show up for either method?

Bluetooth doesn't show album art or any type of search. It is basically a blank screen with Play/pause, Back and Forward. You can control stuff from your phone (I mean actually holding your phone and selecting stuff), but that is counterproductive. Playing from USB (at least with a stick) has album art, playlists, and search. USB is the way to go for sure.

Edited by FusionHybrid2013

Playing from USB (at least with a stick) has album art, playlists, and search. USB is the way to go for sure.

Can we use a phone through USB as well or just a flash drive? Did you try a portable hard drive (that draws power from the USB port)? I just ordered a Nexus 4, so hope it'll work well with MFT.

Another thing that doesn't work my my current phone (Galaxy S 4G) is that MFT cannot access my text messages. I'm hoping it will be able to do that with the Nexus 4. Do you guys know what makes that (not) work?

PS. I didn't order my Fusion yet, just played with a few at my dealer :)

In order for your phone to support text messaging it needs to support the MAP bluetooth profile.

The phone function only works through bluetooth. However, you can hook the phone up to usb for playing music. But the phone functionality is still bluetooth.

You can use portable hard drives but you may run into filesystem format and size limitations on the larger ones.

Apparently this upgrade isn't for the Fusion Hybrid. I wonder if there's a different TSB for that system.

I was about to point out that you really need to be careful doing your own downloads. Sometimes that software version won't work on all vehicles and if you do it yourself you could brick it.

Counterproductive to what I thought, I get better gas mileage when I do heavy/quick acceleration rather than a slow gradual acceleration. I don't know why, but I am pretty sure that it is accurate.

That matches my experience with my 11 FFH. On a similar vein, I often got better mileage on routes (some of them with same start /end points) that had slightly rolling terrain, as opposed to dead flat.

My *speculation* is that in both cases you end up running, overall, the ICE more efficiently - higher percentage of the energy going to something useful, movement or battery charge - for shorter intervals. And that is better than running it for longer at a lower output that barely moves the car, and ends up with a battery more or less constantly depleted.

That's all while I was driving in what I callled "normal driving mode". Basically fit in the traffic flow as I would with a non-hybrid vehicle.

Less than 5% of the time I had the car, I tried what I called "aggressively slowing down", and I think a lot of people call "hypemiling". That is going as slow as my patience (and minimal safety) would allow. I got better (sometimes much better) mileage that way. I didn't find it particularly enjoyable. Or safe.

So, for my new 13 FFH I plan to stick to "normal driving". And hopefully get low 40s mpg lifetime, while still enjoying the drive.

Bluetooth doesn't show album art or any type of search. It is basically a blank screen with Play/pause, Back and Forward. You can control stuff from your phone (I mean actually holding your phone and selecting stuff), but that is counterproductive. Playing from USB (at least with a stick) has album art, playlists, and search. USB is the way to go for sure.

Not to mention the audio quality when playing via Bluetooth is greatly diminished.

I was about to point out that you really need to be careful doing your own downloads. Sometimes that software version won't work on all vehicles and if you do it yourself you could brick it.

So it looks like there is in fact, no update for my car based on the Fusion Hybrid not being a part of that tsb (what does that stand for?). I'm back to hoping a reset fixes my issue, even if only temporarily.

According to the PDF:

FORD: 2012-2013 Focus, 2013 Fusion, Taurus, 2011-2013 Edge, Explorer , 2013 Escape, F-150, Flex

LINCOLN: 2013 MKS, 2011-2013 MKX, 2013 MKT

NOTE

THIS PROCEDURE DOES NOT APPLY TO FOCUS BATTERY ELECTRIC VEHICLES (BEV) AND FUSION HYBRID VEHICLES DUE TO UNIQUE SOFTWARE APPLICATIONS.

Note: they're not kidding, this update takes forever! I probably look like a fool sitting in my car at my condo complex with the engine idling!

Do you have voice navigation? If not, would you mind using sync services to get directions and see if you can view the direction list on the right side cluster?

I don't have nav, I'll try and do that this weekend to see if I can get the direction list in the right side cluster.

As for the update itself, once it finally installed, the whole system is noticeably faster. When I went to connect my iPhone to USB audio it recognized it much faster and I was able to select songs without the system hanging on me (so far). Haven't made a call or anything on it, idk if it'll make a difference in call quality but I'll let you know if I notice any other major improvements. For the most part the system is just faster and seems to be more reliable.

• Like 1