Toyota loyal relative looking into new Fusion

And it's not going well.

Here's the situation. My Aunt has been a very loyal Toyota customer for the last..... well, since her 1985 Tercel. Currently her houshold has an 97 Camry, an 03 Highlander and an 04 Corolla. All three of them were bought new, and they obviously hold onto their cars for a long time.

However, it is time for her daughter to start driving so they decided that they want to give her the 97 Camry, which means they will need something new to add to the fleet so her husband can drive. After first debating a new Lexus (likely an IS) they decided that they really, really liked the 2013 Fusion and they waited for it to come out so they can take a look.

After calling around to find out that most dealers had a short stock, they finally found one at a local SoCal dealership. They made an appointment to go check it out, and they came back with a few impressions.

Pro

- The 2.0 Ecoboost "was a rocket ship" with onle a 1mpg penalty over the 1.6

- They love the looks of the car

- Price is right in line of what they expected. $10K cheaper than the Lexus they were looking at.

Cons

- Husband wishes he could get an interior color other than black

- Husband wants to special order with different wheels, but he has been told "it can't be done" by the dealer.

When they bought their previous Highlander, they went to the dealer and they were able to option out that car to their liking. They basically got a 4cylinder model loaded up with just about everything a Limited model would have, with the exception of the fog lamps. They liked that they were able to do that. However, he seemed a bit bitter that he is told that he can't get the wheels he wants. Gripe number 2 (which is a really big one for him) is that they are trying to buy this car in a hurry. CA sales tax is going up at the beginning of next year, so they are in the market to buy before the increase. They told this to the salesman, and he mentioned he would check stock and availability for what they had for the car. He would also put together and email him some information so he can see what's available for the 2013 models. They agreed to this, and the salesman said he would have this info to him by Tuesday (a couple of weeks ago now).

So far? Nothing. He has not had any follow up from the dealer and now he's pissed. No calls, no emails, nothing.

My relatives are very customer service oriented people. One of the reasons they have bought Toyotas in the past was because of the service they have received at the dealership level with helping them get the car they wanted. However, their first time at the Ford dealer they have left unhappy, even though they are enamored with the car itself.

So right now, they are looking back at the Lexus IS instead. I'm trying to convince them to check out a different dealer, or to push them back this way. They still love the Fusion, but even these seemingly minor details really, really irk them. Service matters, and they feel like they are being brushed off for no good reason.

I'll see if they come around. After all, they only have about another month before they want to pull the trigger with a purchase.

My relatives are very customer service oriented people. One of the reasons they have bought Toyotas in the past was because of the service they have received at the dealership level with helping them get the car they wanted. However, their first time at the Ford dealer they have left unhappy, even though they are enamored with the car itself.

Shame that the dealer didn't follow up... one customer's view of "attentiveness" may be viewed by another as "pestering" as I ask for info when *I* want it and have more of a "don't call me, I'll call you" attitude. So to each his/her own, I guess they like to feel more cared-about and valued, etc. My parents have had nothing but Toyota for the past 10 years and would never consider elsewhere, disregard that I can compare instances and costs of repairs and be on the better end of it, nope doesn't matter to them so I just live and let live.

The only experience I have with Toyota is buying a Prius new, salesman was great but the finance guy didn't like it when I said no I don't want the extended warranty, said that in his four years of selling cars there that I was the *only* one to ever turn down the extended warranty. Yeah, OK pal.

Good luck with your quest!

Looks like they haven't bought a new car in 8 (or 9, depending on when they bought the Corolla) years.

Unfortunately for them, car-buying practices have changed. Packages are the name of the game today instead of individual checkboxes. If they go to a Toyota dealer for a Camry or another Highlander, they'll likely run into the exact same scenario.

• Like 3

Looks like they haven't bought a new car in 8 (or 9, depending on when they bought the Corolla) years.

Unfortunately for them, car-buying practices have changed. Packages are the name of the game today instead of individual checkboxes. If they go to a Toyota dealer for a Camry or another Highlander, they'll likely run into the exact same scenario.

Honda and Toyota dealers around here not only charge pretty much full MSRP on each vehicle, but always have dealer options added in that jack up price another $1,000-$2,000, and it's take it or leave it. If you question sales person, they just say that if you aren't interested, someone else will be with condescending attitude usually. And they are always stupid add ons that add no value at all to vehicle, but much profit to dealer.

Honda and Toyota dealers around here not only charge pretty much full MSRP on each vehicle, but always have dealer options added in that jack up price another $1,000-$2,000, and it's take it or leave it. If you question sales person, they just say that if you aren't interested, someone else will be with condescending attitude usually. And they are always stupid add ons that add no value at all to vehicle, but much profit to dealer.

The sad part is those Toyota salesmen are probably right,

dealers usually order floor stock they know will sell quickly.

Some dealerships suck, or maybe it's just the salesperson.

Or maybe he lost the info. if he hasn't contacted them in 2 weeks, have they called him? If the condition of buying is based on getting (for example) the optional "H" Titanium wheels on an SE, he may not call you back (still not smart) because it can't be done. Check with the parts department.

There is a dune leather for the SE 2.0 EB.

It seems to me you can get more ala carte options from American cars than Asians. You have to step from the base model first though.

Some dealerships suck, or maybe it's just the salesperson.

Or maybe he lost the info. if he hasn't contacted them in 2 weeks, have they called him? If the condition of buying is based on getting (for example) the optional "H" Titanium wheels on an SE, he may not call you back (still not smart) because it can't be done. Check with the parts department.

There is a dune leather for the SE 2.0 EB.

It seems to me you can get more ala carte options from American cars than Asians. You have to step from the base model first though.

I would say it's a lazy sales person. If they know person is sincerely interested in buying a Fusion, calling back would at least get foot in door and chance at sale for sales person. I haven't bought a Ford in 10 years now, and I still get holiday cards from my sales person every year. I wouid think any sales person would know how comptetitve it is out there, and follow up on anyone showing any kind of interest in buying soon. Even if you only score on 10% that show interest, that is better than doing nothng and getting 0%.

Just order the car the way you want it for gosh sake. I am amazed when adults act like 7 year olds - got to have it now, right this very minute, or I am going somewhere else - and can't wait a month or two for something that is going to last 10 years. Or worse yet, the dealership will talk the buyer into a color or other stuff you don't want, and you have to live with something you don’t like for 10 years after spending big bucks. The extra sales tax will be nothing compared to living with a bad decision for a decade. Just order the car.

Edited by Kev-Mo
  • Like 2

Just order the car.

Every single car I've owned new has been ordered from the factory the way I wanted it....

Anyways talking about sales people...I moved to MD about year ago. We winded up going down to the local Ford dealer for some reason or another, and I wanted to take the SHO out they had for a test drive over the summer...the one saleswoman at the dealership let me take it out for a spin around the block and I told her I was interested in the upcoming Fusion..well they got in one at the end of October (the SHO Test drive was back late in the summer) and the same saleswoman called up my girlfriend (not sure how she got her #) and we took it out... I was impressed that she followed up with me and when I order my car in January or so, I'll be def ordering it though her. That's how a sales person should be and if I have any friends that want to buy Ford in the are, I'll be pointing them to her.

Every single car I've owned new has been ordered from the factory the way I wanted it....

Anyways talking about sales people...I moved to MD about year ago. We winded up going down to the local Ford dealer for some reason or another, and I wanted to take the SHO out they had for a test drive over the summer...the one saleswoman at the dealership let me take it out for a spin around the block and I told her I was interested in the upcoming Fusion..well they got in one at the end of October (the SHO Test drive was back late in the summer) and the same saleswoman called up my girlfriend (not sure how she got her #) and we took it out... I was impressed that she followed up with me and when I order my car in January or so, I'll be def ordering it though her. That's how a sales person should be and if I have any friends that want to buy Ford in the are, I'll be pointing them to her.

Hmmm....Ford offers one interior color, maybe 5-7 exterior colors, one body style for most part, and packages a few option packages togethe eliminating any chance at picking and choosing what you want. Also add in S which is fleet, and really only SE and Titanium for body trim levels for retail. Further, most Ford mega dealers in large urban areas stock hundreds if not close to a thousand vehicles in stock. I know if I want a Focus or Fusion SE in ruby red, sports appearance package, and maybe one or two other options, I don't have to order it and wait 8-12 weeks when I may need a car now. Ford dealers around here will have it on their lot now and I'm off enjoying it in one or two days at most. Ordering vehicles now is not very prevalent in urban areas except for maybe very sporty models, and rural areas where Ford dealer is lucky to have 30 vehicles in stock.

They should just get a Toyota. They are already biased against Ford, so any little thing wrong will give them a panic attack. "We shoulda bought Toyota!"

Also, I did see a Fusion S in a dealer showroom, but with 'dealer installed' accessories added. It was still nice looking and seats were comfortable.

That is completely different from this area - the Toyota and Honda dealers know that they have to come down from the sticker price. It's not 1983 anymore, when the availability of Toyotas and Hondas was restricted by voluntary import quotas, and the alternatives were the awful GM X-cars or the lackluster Chrysler K-cars.

I wouldn't pay full sticker for any car or SUV in this day and age. There is simply too much GOOD competition out there.

They should just get a Toyota. They are already biased against Ford, so any little thing wrong will give them a panic attack. "We shoulda bought Toyota!"

I totally agree. When I first read this, my very first thought is "They should just buy a Camry and be done with it. When something goes wrong with it, they'll brush it off as an anomaly and if they buy the Fusion and something goes wrong, they'll attribute that to American junk." Oh and the sales tax increase? From 7.25% to 7.5%. On a $30,000 car, an increase of...$75.

I'd like to say with all respect to the Sixt9Coug's aunt, but obviously people only say that when they're not being respectful...but here goes: I don't think these buyers are very smart. Making a purchasing decision over a 0.25% sales tax increase? Sort of like these morons we read about in news articles turning down raises or closing businesses NOW over potential income tax increases because they don't have the slightest clue on how marginal tax rates work.

And frankly, they've allowed their attitude to the be the enemy of achieving a goal. To me, they might like the car--but getting a car they would prefer to have is actually less important than having to be responsible for purchasing the car. Does that excuse the salesperson for not following up? Of course not. But I can tell you this: If I had a car I really wanted and preferred, I wouldn't say "Well, he didn't get back to me, so I guess I have to buy a different, less-preferable car". I'd simply call and say "Hey, did you find that information or not? No? OK." And then I'd go to a different dealer...and buy the damned car.

Edited by BrewfanGRB

Also, I did see a Fusion S in a dealer showroom, but with 'dealer installed' accessories added. It was still nice looking and seats were comfortable.

But as I mentioned in the first post, they want the Fusion, not a Camry. In fact, they aren't even considering the new Camry as an option. They are also not biased against Ford, they have simply been loyal to Toyota. Loyalty to Toyota is not mutually exclusive with anti-Ford.

My Aunt and her husband have purchased their cars from the same Toyota dealer in the past and have had good experiences. It's not even about haggling them down on the price, so the comparisons to "someone else will come along and buy it" are unfounded. They realize and have planned to pay around $31-$33K on the new Fusion. However, the lack of attentiveness, interest or follow up on the part of the salesperson is killing the experience for them. That was just at this one particular dealership. The other dealers they went to "received only one Fusion and it sold right away" with no real interest to help them further from that point.

They would like to buy the car before the year is over. Lovely CA passed a sales tax hike after the new year, so they would like to get a deal done then. When time is of the essence, the salespersons seem to show very little in the way of a sense of urgency. If they order a car, and it takes 8 weeks to get here, will the official sale take place now, or when the car is actually delivered? If it's the latter, then they will have to pay the higher tax rate so that might not work.

Basically what they are looking for is a 2013 Fusion, likely a Titanium model with the Pioneer radio, and spoiler delete in pearl white. My uncle would prefer to not have the ambient lighting or a moonroof (he thinks the lighting looks childish). They considered the SE model (whichever is the just sub-Titanium trim), but they like the Titanium wheels better (the lack of being able to choose what wheels you want on the car these days bothered him, but wasn't a deal breaker). It doesn't seem that hard to do, but the lack of effort on part of the dealership bothers them.

Edited by Sixt9coug

They would like to buy the car before the year is over. Lovely CA passed a sales tax hike after the new year, so they would like to get a deal done then. When time is of the essence, the salespersons seem to show very little in the way of a sense of urgency. If they order a car, and it takes 8 weeks to get here, will the official sale take place now, or when the car is actually delivered? If it's the latter, then they will have to pay the higher tax rate so that might not work.

A $75 price increase makes the purchase "un-doable"? It sounds like your aunt and uncle can't really afford a $31,000 car if they're worried about $75.

Hopefully, you can understand our suspicion that they don't really want the Fusion that badly. And considering this focus on "The Ford dealer doesn't do what the Toyota dealer did, so obviously they just don't want to sell any cars", I still think they'd be happier in the long run with another Toyota.

And the other Ford dealers "didn't seem that interested in helping them"? If they had 1 in inventory and it sold right away, what, exactly are these dealers supposed to do? Again, doesn't excuse the original salesperson at least not getting back to them to say "Sorry, with limited supplies of the Fusion right now, we can't swap wheels between models. I encourage you to order." (And then he could do the math showing the sales tax increase should be a non-issue).

Further, most Ford mega dealers in large urban areas stock hundreds if not close to a thousand vehicles in stock. I know if I want a Focus or Fusion SE in ruby red, sports appearance package, and maybe one or two other options, I don't have to order it and wait 8-12 weeks when I may need a car now. Ford dealers around here will have it on their lot now and I'm off enjoying it in one or two days at most. Ordering vehicles now is not very prevalent in urban areas except for maybe very sporty models, and rural areas where Ford dealer is lucky to have 30 vehicles in stock.

Seriously dude do you even know WTF your talking about? Back in 2010 when my GF was looking for her Escape, we couldn't find a XLT equipped the way she wanted in area that has over a million people living in it with a land size that less then half of "metro Detroit"...ford dealers barely have any stock until recently...

Anyways short of an accident or major repair bill, I don't think lost people just walk on a lot and say I want car, which is the second biggest purchase someone makes in their lives...so what if you have to wait a couple weeks...I had to wait 3 months for my Mustang and that was at the height of it popularity.

A $75 price increase makes the purchase "un-doable"? It sounds like your aunt and uncle can't really afford a $31,000 car if they're worried about $75.

Hopefully, you can understand our suspicion that they don't really want the Fusion that badly. And considering this focus on "The Ford dealer doesn't do what the Toyota dealer did, so obviously they just don't want to sell any cars", I still think they'd be happier in the long run with another Toyota.

And the other Ford dealers "didn't seem that interested in helping them"? If they had 1 in inventory and it sold right away, what, exactly are these dealers supposed to do? Again, doesn't excuse the original salesperson at least not getting back to them to say "Sorry, with limited supplies of the Fusion right now, we can't swap wheels between models. I encourage you to order." (And then he could do the math showing the sales tax increase should be a non-issue).

Both of them are professionals and work for Boeing. I suspect their respect for Mullaly has a huge reason of why they want a Ford rather than a Toyota this time around. Money isn't the issue as they plan to pay for either the Fusion or the Lexus in cash.

Yes, customer service is the issue. My point for this thread is that despite the huge strides that Ford has made with it's product, even when a customer is coming from a competing brand, at least in this case they are still treated like the dealer is doing them a favor by selling them the car. As for the salesman that did not have the car in stock to begin with, offering to follow up, search local dealers, or even make an effort to help make a sale would have been appreciated. Rather, to be basically brushed off puts a really, really bad taste with people especially when they have never bought from your company before. (yes, I am aware dealers are independant of Ford, but when they know the dealer experience is going to be poor, people are less likely to return.)

Hmmm....Ford offers one interior color, maybe 5-7 exterior colors, one body style for most part, and packages a few option packages togethe eliminating any chance at picking and choosing what you want. Also add in S which is fleet, and really only SE and Titanium for body trim levels for retail. Further, most Ford mega dealers in large urban areas stock hundreds if not close to a thousand vehicles in stock. I know if I want a Focus or Fusion SE in ruby red, sports appearance package, and maybe one or two other options, I don't have to order it and wait 8-12 weeks when I may need a car now. Ford dealers around here will have it on their lot now and I'm off enjoying it in one or two days at most. Ordering vehicles now is not very prevalent in urban areas except for maybe very sporty models, and rural areas where Ford dealer is lucky to have 30 vehicles in stock.

BTW, I live in Southern California and when i went looking around at the Focus when it came out I stopped at the same dealer I bought my Ranger from.

They had 8 in stock. 8. One of the larger Ford dealers out here. Not even 10.

When I bought my Ranger, they didn't have one in stock at that dealer either. All they had was basic strippo work models. Eventually, we found one at a dealer 50 miles away and they worked out a trade. Even in more of an urban area, it's still not 100% that you will find anything even close to what you want on the lot ready to take home the same day.

EDIT - I just checked their inventory now. They have more Focus' now (38) but only 9 Fusions. 3 of them have the 2.0L, and none are Titaniums so that would be a no-go.

Edited by Sixt9coug

Both of them are professionals and work for Boeing. I suspect their respect for Mullaly has a huge reason of why they want a Ford rather than a Toyota this time around. Money isn't the issue as they plan to pay for either the Fusion or the Lexus in cash.

Then why belabor the point of "OMG, it has to be done now, because otherwise the sales tax is going to soar...by 0.25%"? I only keep coming back to this because you yourself made the "time of the essence" point when in fact, the sales tax issue is a non-factor entirely. In fact, if they even brought it up, it does make me question if they know the extent of the increase and whether they've actually calculated the cost.

Yes, customer service is the issue. My point for this thread is that despite the huge strides that Ford has made with it's product, even when a customer is coming from a competing brand, at least in this case they are still treated like the dealer is doing them a favor by selling them the car. As for the salesman that did not have the car in stock to begin with, offering to follow up, search local dealers, or even make an effort to help make a sale would have been appreciated. Rather, to be basically brushed off puts a really, really bad taste with people especially when they have never bought from your company before. (yes, I am aware dealers are independant of Ford, but when they know the dealer experience is going to be poor, people are less likely to return.)

To each their own. I'm assertive and if I want something done, I DO IT. So if I go in and the salesman is all "Sorry, we don't have any, bye!", my response is "When is your next shipment?" Actually, it wouldn't be that at all, because before I waltzed in there, I would know they had no inventory and would be ready to place an order (because I wouldn't be concerned about a $75 sales tax increase) and I would know there is no inventory of this model anywhere near me (at least of the trim line I wanted).

I totally agree that perceived bad service is off-putting and aggravating. But if I go to Target and they are out of something, I don't just go on Facebook complaining they were out. I ask an associate to check the inventory of the Target on the other side of town, I try to get a rain check. I came in there wanting to buy something, I must need or want it, so a little bit of effort is MY responsibility.

You can argue "Sure, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do more to help". And that would be true. But at the end of the day, if I just throw up my hands and say "Well, they didn't try, they suck and don't want to sell cars"...I STILL don't have the car I supposedly want AND I'm STILL going to have to do more work if I really want it. Or I can buy a Lexus, get my pat on the head and personally served espresso and be "happy"...without the car I really wanted. Your aunt and uncle are obviously just not built to ask for service. Everyone has different personalities. It's a challenge every company whose customers are the public faces in terms of meeting those customer expectations.

Edited by BrewfanGRB

Sounds like the people who buy a $30k car to save $50/month in gas. Or who burn $4 worth of gas driving to another gas station to save $2 on a tank of gas.

They're fretting over the IDEA of a sales tax increase without actually looking at the dollars. Or they have some other reason they want to buy now and the sales tax increase is just an excuse or a rationalization.

They also seem to care more about being coddled by the dealer than getting the vehicle they want.

Then why belabor the point of "OMG, it has to be done now, because otherwise the sales tax is going to soar...by 0.25%"? I only keep coming back to this because you yourself made the "time of the essence" point when in fact, the sales tax issue is a non-factor entirely. In fact, if they even brought it up, it does make me question if they know the extent of the increase and whether they've actually calculated the cost.

To each their own. I'm assertive and if I want something done, I DO IT. So if I go in and the salesman is all "Sorry, we don't have any, bye!", my response is "When is your next shipment?" Actually, it wouldn't be that at all, because before I waltzed in there, I would know they had no inventory and would be ready to place an order (because I wouldn't be concerned about a $75 sales tax increase) and I would know there is no inventory of this model anywhere near me (at least of the trim line I wanted).

I totally agree that perceived bad service is off-putting and aggravating. But if I go to Target and they are out of something, I don't just go on Facebook complaining they were out. I ask an associate to check the inventory of the Target on the other side of town, I try to get a rain check. I came in there wanting to buy something, I must need or want it, so a little bit of effort is MY responsibility.

You can argue "Sure, but that doesn't mean they shouldn't do more to help". And that would be true. But at the end of the day, if I just throw up my hands and say "Well, they didn't try, they suck and don't want to sell cars"...I STILL don't have the car I supposedly want AND I'm STILL going to have to do more work if I really want it. Or I can buy a Lexus, get my pat on the head and personally served espresso and be "happy"...without the car I really wanted. Your aunt and uncle are obviously just not built to ask for service. Everyone has different personalities. It's a challenge every company whose customers are the public faces in terms of meeting those customer expectations.

Sounds like the people who buy a $30k car to save $50/month in gas. Or who burn $4 worth of gas driving to another gas station to save $2 on a tank of gas.

They're fretting over the IDEA of a sales tax increase without actually looking at the dollars. Or they have some other reason they want to buy now and the sales tax increase is just an excuse or a rationalization.

They also seem to care more about being coddled by the dealer than getting the vehicle they want.

It's probably more of the principle of the sales tax increase rather than the number itself. It's not the raw numbers of the money, but they don't want to pay it in tax. If they are going to have to pay $75 extra for something, why pay it in tax when it can be put towards something more tangible? Like the car itself maybe.

My Aunt is very, very assertive by the way. By nature of her role at work, she is. She also believes customer service is important. Keep in mind, they aren't asking the salesman to do them a favor here, they are asking him to do his job. Hell, I do a sales position at work. If I get a lead on a new account and don't act on it, what then? What if the customer goes to the competition? Toyota is potentially losing a sale here due to lack of product. However, Ford would be losing a sale due to service. Which is worse long term? After over 20 years of Toyota ownership, they have the chance to finally win someone over and the chance is being blown. As far as effort on there part, they've been to more than one dealership already. How many do they need to go to just to find a salesman that's willing to work with them to find them the car they want?

They aren't buying another car to save gas money, to keep up with the Jonse's or to replace a car. The 97 Camry is being handed down to their youngest daughter, so the Fusion would be an addition to the fleet. That's all.

Ford has minimal control over dealers.

Send your aunt and uncle to Dean.

I've thought of that too. He's somewhere in OC right? I think I know which dealer (not many OC dealerships off the 405 after all...), and his isn't the one that's been discussed here so he's still ok by me lol.

I've thought of that too. He's somewhere in OC right? I think I know which dealer (not many OC dealerships off the 405 after all...), and his isn't the one that's been discussed here so he's still ok by me lol.

Send him a PM. If your aunt's a straight shooter and knows exactly what she wants without trying to bend him over backwards on price, he'll probably enjoy working with her.

It's probably more of the principle of the sales tax increase rather than the number itself. It's not the raw numbers of the money, but they don't want to pay it in tax. If they are going to have to pay $75 extra for something, why pay it in tax when it can be put towards something more tangible? Like the car itself maybe.

I'm moving on from this. I hear this "it's not the money, it's the principle" nonsense everyday in my own job. If I don't let it go, it'll just make me angry. Now, it's just "Eh, whatever. Rationalize it however they need to."

My Aunt is very, very assertive by the way.

Then this entire post is just silly. If she was as assertive as you say, they wouldn't have left the dealership with the salesperson ONLY saying "Sorry, we're out. Bye."

Keep in mind, they aren't asking the salesman to do them a favor here, they are asking him to do his job.

No one has said they would be doing them a "favor". But how is the salesperson supposed to get them a vehicle that might not exist? Or would take hours of the salesperson's non-compensated time to find? Work that realistically your aunt could do herself with the internet. Let me ask this: How much time do you think would be fair to ask of the salesperson to spend locating the vehicle your aunt and uncle want? Keep in mind: That salesperson's dealer has no inventory, so a trade's not going to work--meaning once he's found this car for your aunt and uncle, that sale is going to go to the other dealer. And since your aunt and uncle only buy infrequently, what's the incentive for the salesperson (beyond simply "being nice")? Hoping that your aunt and uncle refer friends and family to him (when he knows they are more likely to refer people to the salesperson that sells them the actual car)?

When I bought my car, I determined what features came with what trim line and which features were optional. I didn't complain that it was hard to get what I wanted simply because I hadn't come to terms with how cars are built today. I figured it out and dealt with it. I searched dealer inventories and in a hour I found a dealer with the car I wanted. I wanted it to be a V6 SEL, but had to have AdvanceTrac, EATC, heated seats (SEL had leather, but not always heated seats) and a moonroof. I bought in March of 09, so the MCE had already been in place and 09s were no longer being produced. There was inventory, but not a lot of the outliers--highly optioned or bare bones. I had to drive to a dealer 65 miles away to get it. (So the car I wanted wasn't even at 2 high-volume dealers in Green Bay). I walked into the dealer, was assigned a salesperson and I said "I'm looking for an 09 Fusion V6 SEL Smokestone". He found it, I test drove it. We sat down, I gave him my X-Plan PIN and said "I want to buy it. Appraise my trade-in...give me $1000 and we're done." And we were.

Am I like most buyers? Of course not. But if your aunt is as assertive as you say and they are both professionals in a demanding field, I don't think it's unreasonable for them to be a prepared buyer. Which brings the circle all the way around. They last bought a new car a long time ago, from a dealer who had adopted a philosophy of hand-holding and "don't do a thing" and having to adjust now is jarring. I still think they'd be better off with a Toyota because even if the dealer abandons all other work with a focus only on locating, closing and delivering this Fusion (even so far as to somehow figuring out a way to swap the wheels), they will be unsatisfied with the experience. And certainly, with the first problem, regardless of how minor, they will cast Fords as poorly built and loudly assert they should've just bought another Toyota. "Loyalty to Toyota does not mean anti-Ford" is another strange statement. It's almost exactly that--except instead of "anti-Ford" this strong Toyota loyalty is "anti-anything not a Toyota." They are sticky buyers and are VERY inelastic.