How the SS will become Chevy's four-door Corvette halo car

silvrsvt

GM needs to learn the difference between people who say they "want it" on internet message boards, and people who actually want it enough to visit their Chevrolet dealer and write out a check for the car. You can't use the first group to build a business case for any car.

Edited by grbeck

GM needs to learn the difference between people who say they "want it" on internet message boards, and people who actually want it enough to visit their Chevrolet dealer and write out a check for the car. You can't use the first group to build a business case for any car.

Sure you can! Just look at all the recent success stories:

Caddy XLR

Pontiac G8

Pontiac Solstice/Saturn Sky

Pontiac GTO

Oh wait.....

• Like 2

Mark Reuss hinted at a $40,000 price tag........the potential buyer line up just got a lot shorter

Spot on with this! I've been hearing that it may even have to creep a bit higher because they're concerned at $40k how much it will overlap with the loaded Impalas.

A lot of mullets are whining on other sites, "SS should cost $20-25K!", in what universe?

Even if cheaper, they wouldn't buy since they cant afford any new performance car, or 'my wife won't let me'.

And of course, there will also be the "it don't look like 'da old ones" complaints.

Then, go buy a primered 1986 Camaro with a 5.0 and have fun.

Edited by 630land

Spot on with this! I've been hearing that it may even have to creep a bit higher because they're concerned at $40k how much it will overlap with the loaded Impalas.

The stupid thing is they should have made this a Buick or something at that price...Yet another reason why Buick should have went away...its keeping Chevy back from charging more.

• Like 1

I have to say I drove a G8...That was a nice car and should have succeded

It's not about whether the vehicle is nice or not or whether a few people like it. It has to do with whether you can build them and sell enough of them at a sufficient price to turn a profit. And if you start with an expensive platform then that makes the business case much harder.

What akirby said, plus, GM hardly gave it any marketing support. GM seemed to think that it could offer the car and all of the GM fans on the internet who said they wanted it would rush to their Pontiac dealer and buy one. Doesn't work that way in the real world.

If GM was going to sell that car in this country, it should have been sold as a Chevrolet.

Pontiac's "performance" image was long gone by the time that car debuted.

Edited by grbeck

RWD is now a niche product, meaning it's no longer in great demand and it also commands higher prices.

I keep asking myself, how badly does the US market really want a V8 sedan, and just which group is this car aimed at?

As I see it, there's a slot wide open for a Lucerne replacement in Buick - perfect for an imported Buick Park Avenue

Heck, maybe even a Holden Calais V as a "CTS" Alternative in Buick - give US buyers something with luxury and style

but dear lord, please stop with the SS Commodore dressed as Pontiacs and now Chevrolet , it's getting quite tiresome.

This is disturbing: GM is ordering cars without proper market research, what does that tell you?

As for the potential buyer, Reuss said proper market research hasn't be completed. But as it stands,

he's not too worried about attracting buyers. In fact, there may be an SS or a used G8 in his driveway pretty soon.

Edited by jpd80

I really don't think GM expects to sell a lot of them. I heard projections of maybe 12,000/year or so. With the Corvette, GM seems to think some want two extra seats and still have about as good straight line performance with big trunk to boot. Kind of like Porsche 911 and four door 911 called the Panamera. I don't think GM makes any money on the Corvette, but it certainly gives Chevy an image they seem to like. Anyway, 2013 will be a big year for Chevy with 13 new products. I'm seeing lots of new Malibus on street now, and they do look good, even though the rear seat leg room is abysmal. Competition is good.

If the new Malibu is so good then why are they rushing a MCE in just 18 months? Even GM admits they missed the mark. I expect the same with the new pickups and SUVs. They're still at least 2 years behind the competition and doing nothing to catch up much mess leapfrog.

If the new Malibu is so good then why are they rushing a MCE in just 18 months? Even GM admits they missed the mark. I expect the same with the new pickups and SUVs. They're still at least 2 years behind the competition and doing nothing to catch up much mess leapfrog.

I didn't say the Malibu is a world beater, and I know the Fusion is better, but the Malibu does look good on the road and does have more powerful, standard I4 than Fusion and the turbo I4 is not that bad. I just don't think it's near as bad as some say. The overly cramped seat in back is deal breaker for me though, but looks inside and out are pretty good to my eyes.

but the Malibu does look good on the road and does have more powerful, standard I4 than Fusion and the turbo I4 is not that bad. I just don't think it's near as bad as some say.

As a stand alone vehicle it's not bad. The problem is when you compare it to all the other mid sized sedans it comes up short in almost every category.

Yes, I thought the G8 was a rather special sport sedan, but unfortunately tied to a damaged, dying brand. So the Chevy SS should do a bit better being tied to Chevy brand and its many more established dealers. Chrysler does ok with its Daytona RT and SRT models with Hemi. So Chevy should do ok with iconic RWD SS model that is just as fast if not faster. SS brings back many nostalgic memories.

If you think this vehicle will sell better than the G8 just because it has a bowtie on it you're even more delusional than I thought you were.

His idea of success is 2k units sold a month!

I got a feeling the SS is going to be a big dud like the G8 since it will wind up looking 80-90% similar to it.