Ford's Inventory Spot-On, Others...Not So Much

I've seen quite a few Dart ads, and they're not too bad. The one thing about them is that, in the ads, the Dart doesn't look like it's in the same size class as a Focus (and whatever else is in that class); it looks like it's closer to the size of a Fusion. I wonder if that isn't dissuading the normal group of people who would be buying in that class--if it looks like it's the size of a Fusion, maybe they're thinking it will be too big, or maybe they're expecting it to be priced like a Fusion...

Edited by SoonerLS
  • Like 1

Maybe they focus their ad buys during football (to emphasize the Tom Brady thing?), but it seems like I see ads for the Dart ALL THE TIME. I think they're pretty good, actually--showing a lot of nice tech in the car, emphasizing its size for adults, improved interior quality, etc.

Maybe they need to broaden the reach of the ads?

Maybe they focus their ad buys during football (to emphasize the Tom Brady thing?), but it seems like I see ads for the Dart ALL THE TIME. I think they're pretty good, actually--showing a lot of nice tech in the car, emphasizing its size for adults, improved interior quality, etc.

Maybe they need to broaden the reach of the ads?

Now that you mention it - I think most of the Dart ads I saw were during football games.

I've seen quite a few Dart ads, and they're not too bad. The one thing about them is that, in the ads, the Dart doesn't look like it's in the same size class as a Focus (and whatever else is in that class); it looks like its closer to the size of a Fusion. I wonder if that isn't dissuading the normal group of people who would be buying in that class--if it looks like its the size of a Fusion, maybe they're thinking it will be too big, or maybe they're expecting it to be priced like a Fusion...

Perhaps looking at the ads folks are mistaking it as Fusion size. I've yet to see a Dart in real life. I have high hopes for it and I'd love to see a Hatch version here.

Perhaps looking at the ads folks are mistaking it as Fusion size. I've yet to see a Dart in real life. I have high hopes for it and I'd love to see a Hatch version here.

I was surprised to discover that it was in the same size category as the Focus; I was expecting it to be a mid-size, like the Avenger...

• Like 1

Last month GM barely cleared Ford's sales, I don't see how hanging tough on incentives is going to work for GM.

I recon they will fold around February and start with strong incentives - none of which will bother Ford in the slightest

GM is vulnerable and exposed, if there's a slump in vehicle sales next year, it could be in all sorts of trouble..

Edited by jpd80

I don't see how hanging tough on incentives is going to work for GM.

Apparently, it's not.

General Motors today is rolling out bigger discounts on full-sized pickups and other vehicles in an effort to slash bloated inventories, which are at their highest levels since before GM’s June 2009 bankruptcy.

-- http://www.autonews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20121207/RETAIL01/121209891/gm-juices-incentives-amid-pickup-glut-sweetens-some-car-leases&cciid=email-autonews-blast

I would also note that Wards pegs GM's inventory thus:

Nov. 12: 106 days

Oct. 12: 98 days

Nov. 11: 86 days

Ford?

Nov. 12: 72

Oct. 12: 78

Nov. 11: 72

Thanks for this data RichardJensen. Inventory levels for GM vehicles ballooned much more than I thought over the past couple months.

They ballooned because GM tried to cut back on incentives and dumping into fleets.

Sadly, this will only reinforce wrong thinking in the minds of GM executives..

who will do everything other than cut production volumes.

Edited by jpd80

No to defend GM, but their plan was to (slightly) overproduce their pickups as they get ready for the considerable factory downtime involved in changing over to the new model of their truck. They had hoped the extra '012's would see them through until the next pickup comes on line. They badly miscalculated. Also, Chrysler really threw a wrench in the works when they dropped $5,000 in incentives on the outgoing Ram (you got to admire Sergio at times).

Anyway you look at it, GM messed up big time. Anything they do now will cost them dearly (meaning less profits).

My dealership stocks mostly the lower end Fiesta models... 4-Door "S" models with both the manual and automatic transmissions and the SE models. The majority of our stock 2013 Fiesta inventory is for the 4-door sedan version, for price point reasons. We've had success using the 2013 Fiesta for customers that have little or no cash to put down or have poor credit and then use the Fiesta to get them established with Ford Credit.