Ranger T6, EcoSport Spied In Denver

Now this is interesting. I can't believe that this is not an "all or nothing" decision. Is it known which 150 source goes down first? Also what was PN 96. In any case IMO this is a good thread- many good points raised and the stakes are huge. I can't help but feel that the success of the ciurrent 150 hangs like a huge cloud over the decision.

Dearborn goes down first. Job 1 is tentatively set for June/July 2014. Kansas City runs the current model until the end of the year, then shuts down for retool.

PN96 was the code name for the 97 F-150.

When is Ford going to give up some capability to have a real increase in fuel economy?

Why would Ford willingly give up capability to the competetion? Do keep in mind that the Consumer truck market more or less died off when cheap gas went away...sales of the F-series was nearly 1 Million units 10 years ago when gas was cheap, its back down to its historical levels there abouts now.

Why would Ford willingly give up capability to the competetion? Do keep in mind that the Consumer truck market more or less died off when cheap gas went away...sales of the F-series was nearly 1 Million units 10 years ago when gas was cheap, its back down to its historical levels there abouts now.

The kick is that Ford doesn't have to give up capability. A properly "lightened" and designed F100 can co-exist next to the "more capable" F150 and there would be no overlap.

4-5 MPG, but you are comparing:

A 3.7 Gas F150 at 23MPG

against

A 3.5 turbo diesel powered T6 at 27 MPG

Never mind the 32MPG 2.2 liter turbo diesel option.

Those diesel MPG's aren't with US emissions regs...

I never understand the parking space argument. Maybe because I've been driving pickups since I could legally drive (any many years before that), and I've never had an issue parking. I even find it easier to parallel park a pickup because you can see better. Once you've driven it for a little while, you get used to it. Especially if you're talking F150. F350s are "huge" but I've never had an issue parking them.

I agree! I'd rather parallel park my crew cab Super Duty than my wife's Flex any day of the week, and twice on Sunday! I just avoid tight spots at stores, or park in BFE and fold in the mirrors.

For those worried about the parking problems with the current generation F-150, might should drive a regular cab with 6.5 bed. If you can find one optioned out well.

We have one and the turning radius is pretty amazing. Even despite the height and width, it's an easy truck to whip around when needed and park pretty much anywhere. And, it does weigh considerably less than most F-150 configurations. With a V-8, the regular cab even with 4X4 is a very quick machine. And delivers good gas mileage.

But, it is still big. Too tall and too wide, but the shorter wheelbase makes it feel a lot smaller in traffic. Maybe the best Ford option at the moment if you can live without a back seat. Pretty roomy cab otherwise.

Just my two cents worth for those of us longing for a smaller truck from Ford.

But, it is still big. Too tall and too wide, but the shorter wheelbase makes it feel a lot smaller in traffic. Maybe the best Ford option at the moment if you can live without a back seat. Pretty roomy cab otherwise.

Seriously people...the F-150 isn't too wide!

Width (without mirrors)

F-150 79.2

Chevy 79.9

Tundra 79.9

Titan 79.5

Ram 79.4

It would be nice if people did some research instead of just saying its too wide or too big when comparing it to other trucks, esp if those trucks are the same size! :rolleyes:

Seriously people...the F-150 isn't too wide!

Width (without mirrors)

F-150 79.2

Chevy 79.9

Tundra 79.9

Titan 79.5

Ram 79.4

It would be nice if people did some research instead of just saying its too wide or too big when comparing it to other trucks, esp if those trucks are the same size! :rolleyes:

They must be referring to the HUGE difference between the F150 and the new Ranger.

Ranger: 72.8"

You know, that 6.4" is a TREMENDOUS difference (8%) when you are talking about a truck. :rolleyes:

You know, that 6.4" is a TREMENDOUS difference (8%) when you are talking about a truck. :rolleyes:

Thats roughly the difference between the length of the F-150 vs other competitions truck depending on cab and bed lenghts also...

The Raptor is wider then all other F-150 models though...

I think people are equating visual mass as phyical size....just becase the F-150 looks bigger doesn't mean it isn't bigger vs whats out there. I could see complants about the bed being deeper and harder to get stuff into from the side, but you also get to carry more!

Seems to me the only real significance of the T6 Ranger being in Denver is the fact that it is a regular cab, long bed model. If the only model currently on sale anywhere is the crew cab then Ford is probably just doing some high altitude testing of the regular cab version before it goes on sale in anywhere but here.

Seems to me the only real significance of the T6 Ranger being in Denver is the fact that it is a regular cab, long bed model. If the only model currently on sale anywhere is the crew cab then Ford is probably just doing some high altitude testing of the regular cab version before it goes on sale in anywhere but here.

Nah, that version of T6 has been on sale for quite a while, me thinks it's a support vehicle forFoA engineers doing high altitude testing of Ecosport and a couple of Fusions. Edited by jpd80

Here's a question for ya: Does anyone know if the T6 shares any suspension components with the upcoming 2014 full size Transit? If it does and the 3.2L diesel is being certified for use in the US market for the Transit then perhaps there is still some hope....

No suspension is shared between the two but Ranger project provided auto trans versions back to Euro Transit applications..

Nearly all markets that the T6 ranger sold in are Euro 4 or 5, the development of a US compliant 3.2 diesel will no doubt assist

Ford Europe and rest of the world markets with the costs of ever tightening NOX regulations with Euro 6 diesel emissions.

Edited by jpd80