Energi or Hybrid

Guest abjb

Greetings

I've been researching the difference between the Energi and Hybrid.

Test drove a Energi today.

So far the only differences I can find are.

$,$$$

Less MPG

An extension cord

Not much room in the back

What am I missing?

We do a lot of highway driving and plan on towing on a tow dolly behind our motorhome.

We plan to buy next week just don't know which one.

Any and all info appreciated.

Thanks

ab

You're missing the ability to drive 20 miles or so without using any gasoline. So your effective fuel economy will be much higher if you keep it charged. Whether it's worth it or not to you is up to you and how you drive. It would be difficult to recover the cost difference unless you do a lot of short trips.

The 20 miles was why I was interested, but with the lesser gas MPG and $,$$$'s...NOPE.

I tried to get the salesman to put it in "EVonly" for 3 reasons.

He did but put it back to EV+ before I could drive.

Does the heat work without the gas motor running, he said yes ( I've read that the only heat is from the seats)?

Does the AC work without the gas motor, he said yes (I haven't seen that info)?

What's the performance like in EV only?

I went for the test drive at 75/25 for the Energi.

After today I'm 95/5 for the Hybrid.

ab

Does the heat work without the gas motor running, he said yes ( I've read that the only heat is from the seats)?

Does the AC work without the gas motor, he said yes (I haven't seen that info)?

What's the performance like in EV only?

ab, I've got an Energi, and it works really well for people who have a daily short drive and can take advantage of the battery range. Otherwise, the Hybrid is your better choice.

Yes, the heat works without the gas engine running, but it does consume energy from your battery which reduces your electric range. However, you can preheat the vehicle while it's plugged in, which the Hybrid can't do, so you have a warm car without losing any range. AC is the same as heat, it draws from the battery, but you can pre-cool your vehicle while plugged in.

Performance in pure EV mode is surprisingly good, even though you theoretically have only about half your horsepower available. Acceleration from a stop is quite good due to the low-end torque of the electric motor, and top speed is 85. I have no problems keeping up with traffic in EV mode, even on steep hills.

• Like 2

As the other psoter said, the C Max Energi is ~275 lbs heavier than the regular C Max, which would be something to consider. On the other hand, you could plug it in at your campsite hookup and get some 'free' driving included with your campsite fee. The last couple of state park sites that we used had both 110v and 220v plugs.

I know regeneration doesn't work when the car is in Neutral, but it would be interesting to find a way to fully charge the Energi's battery using regeneration while rolling along behind a motorhome.

I know regeneration doesn't work when the car is in Neutral, but it would be interesting to find a way to fully charge the Energi's battery using regeneration while rolling along behind a motorhome.

Well, if the motorhome has a 110v outlet onboard, tied to a generator, then you could just plug in while rolling. :) Even better if the motorhome itself was a hybrid, and could generate power for accessories off it's battery (which would be charged via regen).

Umm, that would sorta defeat the purpose. The motorhome would have to supply the extra power (which requires fuel) to overcome the extra force of regeneration. Now, if you could kick it in remotely while going downhill, then that would be sweet!

Umm, that would sorta defeat the purpose. The motorhome would have to supply the extra power (which requires fuel) to overcome the extra force of regeneration. Now, if you could kick it in remotely while going downhill, then that would be sweet!

You and your conservation of energy laws..........

I'm curious if anyone has experience with a plug in Hybrid, if you drive the car more distance than the EV range, is the MPG any better than a standard Hybrid?

I'm curious if the bigger batteries boost the MPG by not needing to switch between EV and gas quite as often.

I'm curious if anyone has experience with a plug in Hybrid, if you drive the car more distance than the EV range, is the MPG any better than a standard Hybrid?

I'm curious if the bigger batteries boost the MPG by not needing to switch between EV and gas quite as often.

Fuel economy is slightly worse in depleted mode due to the extra weight of the larger batteries. 44/41/43 instead of 47/47/47.

Fuel economy is slightly worse in depleted mode due to the extra weight of the larger batteries. 44/41/43 instead of 47/47/47.

It's more than just extra weight. The Energi has a lower final drive ratio to improve the acceleration of a heavier vehicle. And only 1.1 kWh of the Energi's battery is used for hybrid mode vs. 1.4 kWh on the C-Max Hybrid.

Well that answers my question. Basically if you travel more than the EV only range w/o a charge, then you're going to be getting lower MPG's compared to the regular Hybrid. Put's that thought to rest! Thanks!

That's what made me switch to the hybrid.

1/2 the yr we're in N Texas with a lot of 20 mile trips with time to charge between, plus mixed highway/residential.

The other 1/2 we do a lot of highway dirving, most between CO and TX, 675 1 way, 7 round trips last yr + 1 to Galveston.

This yr looks like fewer long trips BUT almsot no 20 mile trips.

ab

Edited by abjb

Well, it's a balance of driving style that counts. I'm about to get 70+ mpg on this tank of gas with my Energi, that includes two weekend trips over 100 miles but also two weeks of daily commuting in EV mode. 70mpg is way better than anyone with the Hybrid can reach.

The Energi just isn't practical for us.

Need the extra interior space

50% pure highway @ 75+ mph.

0 commuting (unless driving to Colorado 6 times a yr qualifies)

Dallas to Houston Interstate posted 75

I25 CO. posted 75

Driving Style

Isn't it amazing, I consistently beat my wifes MPG, either car.

I'm pretty sure she's never seen WOT. I just luv that supercharger whine in my CooperS.

ab

• 2 months later...

I would think the Energi model would be good for senior who does a lot of short trips everyday to doctor, drug store, grocery, bank, and so on. Lots of trips, but almost all less than 20 miles round trip. And has garage with it plugged in all the time. I notice the Chevy Volt is popular with seniors around here and business owners who plug it in at their place of business. I also see lots of C-Maxs around here, but mostly hybrids.

I realize this thread seems to be on the side of economy for the consumer (and why not?). No one has mentioned that the Energi is a "green" vehicle. I do realize that some hybrid owners are getting the stated mpg, but there has been a lot of chatter about those figures not being even close for the average driver. Because getting hold of an Energi was quite a challenge (we eventually did), we looked at other options--including the hybrid (any form of Prius had been ruled out due to uncomfortable seats). We are in FordBuyer's "senior" range (except for doctor/drugstore) so it does make sense for us.

I do agree that for the OP, hybrid is the most practical choice if he's not a remnant from the the "flower power" era. ;) Either way, I think Ford is going in the right direction. This is the first "American" car we've owned in 20 years. The last was a Dodge Daytona which was a lemon we got rid of within 2 years although we did have a Ram van that wouldn't quit (we are 10 year-car-owners). Haven't owned a Ford for 25 years (1965 Galaxy with standard tranny).

• Like 1

I would think the Energi model would be good for senior who does a lot of short trips everyday to doctor, drug store, grocery, bank, and so on. Lots of trips, but almost all less than 20 miles round trip. And has garage with it plugged in all the time. I notice the Chevy Volt is popular with seniors around here and business owners who plug it in at their place of business. I also see lots of C-Maxs around here, but mostly hybrids.

I agree. And in addition to seniors, it works for any "juniors" who live close to their work, grocery store, restaurants, shops, schools, etc. and just take longer drives once a week, and maybe the ocassional long road trip.

This describes my situation and that of quite a few folks who live in my area of small to medium sized towns. Everything most people need to access during a work week is well within the range of the Energi. Even a longer errand on a weekend that may be 40 miles roundtrip would still be EV for half the trip, cutting gas use in half.

As more work places and businesses install chargers, the number of people for whom the Energi makes the most sense should increase. But of course, there are those for whom it still just won't add up.

• Like 2

I could be wrong on this, but I thought that you COULD NOT tow with a non 100% gasoline vehicle! (I.e any hybrid, plugin in hybrid or electric car)

Nope, Escape hybrids have been flat towed since 2005, it was fun since some of the gas auto tranny Escapes actually had problems when flat towed. C-max is no different, ok to flat tow. Toyota hybrids, maybe not ok with flat towing.

Edited by Donaldo
  • Like 1

You're not really going to stick it to the man at your campsite by charging your C-Max. The first video campaign with those two hipster dim wits, talked about the cost of overnight charging and if I recall, it was something like $1.73 of electricity off the grid to fully recharge. So, there's the cost of your next days driving if you have 20 miles or less of short trips. That's why I considering one when I retire and become a "senior".

Edited by transitman