2015 Ford F-150 Concept to Debut at NAIAS

It has been confirmed that Ford will reveal an F-150 Concept at the Detroit Show to preview the 2015 model. Should be interesting, we've seen one very svelt looking prototype running around so it's going to be great to get an idea of what they have in mind for a trimmer F-150. I have a feeling this isn't going to be a very production-ready version.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130113/AUTO04/301130335/1121/AUTO01/Ford-to-show-F-150-concept-truck-at-Detroit-auto-show

Question: Anybody know if Ford will lift the embargo tonight, or maybe wait for the debut?

Edited by BORG

It has been confirmed that Ford will reveal an F-150 Concept at the Detroit Show to preview the 2015 model. Should be interesting, we've seen one very svelt looking prototype running around so it's going to be great to get an idea of what they have in mind for a trimmer F-150. I have a feeling this isn't going to be a very production-ready version.

http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20130113/AUTO04/301130335/1121/AUTO01/Ford-to-show-F-150-concept-truck-at-Detroit-auto-show

Question: Anybody know if Ford will lift the embargo tonight, or maybe wait for the debut?

I also assume no earlier than midnight Monday.

"Trimmer" might apply to weight but not to overall appearance. I'm most interested to see what Ford says about weight technologies and powertrains, but I don't expect too much detail at this point.

Not production ready, unlike MKC which looks pretty much ready to go.

Well.. People says a more 'svelte' looking pickup truck is a bad thing... We all remember what happened when Ford tried that in '97. Heck, I was five at the time and all I can remember is everyone around town had Super Cab two-tone XLTs. Then in 2001 all of them switched to Lariat Super Crews. Same thing happened in 2011 with Ecoboost. Most trucks running around here have the offset licence plate!

I think we under-estimate the ability of traditional truck buyers to accept new things/technology if it's good for them.

Well.. People says a more 'svelte' looking pickup truck is a bad thing... We all remember what happened when Ford tried that in '97. Heck, I was five at the time and all I can remember is everyone around town had Super Cab two-tone XLTs. Then in 2001 all of them switched to Lariat Super Crews. Same thing happened in 2011 with Ecoboost. Most trucks running around here have the offset licence plate!

I think we under-estimate the ability of traditional truck buyers to accept new things/technology if it's good for them.

You are correct. Chunky still means "tough." And these buyers generally are resistant to radical change. That makes the challenge for higher fuel economy very difficult as pickups have the aero of a brick, and the open bed adds to the problem. So weight is key, along with both passive and active aero improvements.

Of course, if the rumors are true and Ford utilizes extensive weight reductions including an aluminum cab, even these action could be somewhat controversial amongst the present buyers until proven in the field. On the bright side, the buyers surely went for V6 EcoBoost in a big way.

I actually am really rooting for a major change in the F-150's styling direction. I loved the 2004 and the 2009 was a good update on that basic design direction. But I think Ford has done the 100% macho look for long enough now. The 1997 F-150 was so futuristic and innovative in its styling. It truly was the first truck that said: "Trucks can be forward thinking in design, they can be family vehicles as well as tough. " I want the 2015 F-150 to say the same sort of things.

Ford is generally the most conservative when it comes to truck design, I don't think this will be any different.

I completely disagree. Chevy and GMC's Trucks have looked like minor refreshes for my entire life...well at least just different versions of the same basic design theme. The Ram has looked basically the same as the version that debuted in the mid-90s. In fact, when the current gen debuted in 2009 ( I don't count the 2013 as a new version because it is barely different visually or mechanically ) it was a rather sublte redesign from the previous generation Ram. Over the course of my life the F-150 has had a much more significant design progression.

Ford is generally the most conservative when it comes to truck design, I don't think this will be any different.

I don't think so. The design jump from the 1996 F150 to the 1997 F150 was substantial. Likewise, the change in design from 2003 to 2004 was equally as dramatic.

I don't think so. The design jump from the 1996 F150 to the 1997 F150 was substantial. Likewise, the change in design from 2003 to 2004 was equally as dramatic.

Yeah, Ford is easily the most radical when it comes to redesigning their trucks (of the "real" truck makers, Ford, GM, and Dodge). Hell's bells, if Dodge were any more conservative in their redesigns, they'd still be supplying engines for Henry Ford; they redesign those things once every 20 years or so...

Is there any word on when superduty will get a redesign? I realize they've been doing upgrades here and there for years, but it is still the same basic cab structure and I don't think the frame has changed much if at all behind the firewall. Seems like it might be time to upgrade with the new heavy duty trucks from GM and Dodge.

After so many years of the tall bed, that just looks weird now.

The window cut outs (actually hidden) makes it look odd. The camo lump on the hood hides the aero slope.

In defense of the Dodge, the 95 (?) put them on the map, and they didn't want to deviate too far from that formula. Before that they weren't a player at all. Ford has taken a lot more chances (or read their customers better) and is gambling a bit on size and MPGs.

• Like 1