Many Females Turn Their Back On Detroit 3

I know my significant other drives a Toyota RAV 4 and no way could I ever get her into domestic. Not that unusual even in this area. She also understands that Toyota quality is not up to perceptions, but still she is Toyota loyal. Being Ann Arborite probably helps in that Toyota is dominant there with its big research center. Ford has made some inroads around here with young, professional, single females, but still imports rule with that demographic. And in Ann Arbor, imports have ruled for decades.

Click here: Winning female buyers a challenge for Big 3 | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

But but but! The new Escape is so effeminate! It must have like 98% female buyers, right? :poke:

Just build good vehicles and people will buy them, regardless of gender.

Uh, I believe the D3 are still losing market share, and most of that can point to females. And yeah, I do believe Ford's hot three, Fusion, Escape, and Fiesta are attracting more female buyers. Looks like Ford will recapture some lost market share from last year, and I bet it will come from increased males buying pickups, and more females buying Ford's hot three in middle of lineup. And for that matter, the Explorer with wife influenciing what the husband buys to transport the kids. Females are now a huge demographic for auto companies. The last great recession was mostly a male recession with very few females being laid off percentage wise. No wonder the head interior designer for the new MKZ was a woman. They have the education, jobs, and disposable income to dictate the auto market now. They certainly are the better half of male's existence.

Uh, I believe the D3 are still losing market share, and most of that can point to females. And yeah, I do believe Ford's hot three, Fusion, Escape, and Fiesta are attracting more female buyers. Looks like Ford will recapture some lost market share from last year, and I bet it will come from increased males buying pickups, and more females buying Ford's hot three in middle of lineup. And for that matter, the Explorer with wife influenciing what the husband buys to transport the kids. Females are now a huge demographic for auto companies. The last great recession was mostly a male recession with very few females being laid off percentage wise. No wonder the head interior designer for the new MKZ was a woman. They have the education, jobs, and disposable income to dictate the auto market now. They certainly are the better half of male's existence.

You completely missed my point, but okay.

I'm under the assumption that all the major players build good vehicles. But some appeal to females more than others. Therefore, many auto companies are catering or taking females more into account all the time during design phase whether it be choice of colors used, ease of getting into vehicle with skirt on, fitting vehicle to their smaller frame, exterior design cues that females find very attractive, and on and on. I know at Ford female designers and engineers are playing key roles in designing Ford's for female buyers. It's a big market now and getting bigger. Colleges and Universities are female dominated with grad school even more so, and auto companies are ready for them when they graduate, get good jobs, and buy vehicles. Now that Mike Rowe is gone, I look for Ford to look for female spokesperson next. Bring back Jill Wagner.

I'm under the assumption that all the major players build good vehicles. But some appeal to females more than others. Therefore, many auto companies are catering or taking females more into account all the time during design phase whether it be choice of colors used, ease of getting into vehicle with skirt on, fitting vehicle to their smaller frame, exterior design cues that females find very attractive, and on and on. I know at Ford female designers and engineers are playing key roles in designing Ford's for female buyers. It's a big market now and getting bigger. Colleges and Universities are female dominated with grad school even more so, and auto companies are ready for them when they graduate, get good jobs, and buy vehicles. Now that Mike Rowe is gone, I look for Ford to look for female spokesperson next. Bring back Jill Wagner.

Getting bigger? How many adult women do you know who don't own a car?

Women and minorities have always been partial to foreign cars. Lets also include the yuppies graduating from U of M etc...and their negative perception of "union built cars" doesn't help much either. Lets also add injury to insult about the lower resale value of Fords and GMs compared to Hondas and Toyotas! Its all about perception! Its a new and growing generation. Once you lose them to foreign cars they almost never buy Ford or GM (Big 2 )....Chrysler is foreign owned. Its only going to get worse as women and minorities dominate the job market. Example....Almost 70% of all State of Michigan employees are female and minority. 18% of all federal workers are African American! Now with the Japanese manipulating the YEN to their cost advantage, it strengthens their sales. They use the leases which further brings the owners back every 2 years. When was the last time you saw an Asian driving a Ford or GM vehicle.? Not! They are loyal to their country!

Only trucks are the last true stand for America...since most women and minorities do not buy F-series, Silverado trucks! That's why Toyota, Honda and Nissan have FAILED to capture that market...........so far! A Blue Collar stronghold!

Edited by bobbyd
  • Like 2

Women and minorities have always been partial to foreign cars. Once you lose them to foreign cars they almost never buy Ford or GM (Big 2 )....Chrysler is foreign owned. Its only going to get worse as women and minorities dominate the job market. Example....Almost 70% of all State of Michigan employees are female and minority. 18% of all federal workers are African American! Now with the Japanese manipulating the YEN to their cost advantage, it strengthens their sales. They use the leases which further brings the owners back every 2 years. When was the last time you saw an Asian driving a Ford or GM vehicle.? Not! They are loyal to their country!

Only trucks are the last true stand for America...since most women and minorities do not buy F-series, Silverado trucks! That's why Toyota, Honda and Nissan have FAILED to capture that market...........so far! A Blue Collar stronghold!

I think that the Detroit 3 can get some of that lost female market share back. Maybe not super significant, but at least stabilize it and pick up a bit more. Females seem to like smaller, multi functional vehicles the most....like Subaru, RAV 4's, and the like. The new Escape I'm sure has picked up some female conquest sales and I bet C-Max catches their eye. The article stated that Fiesta is 60% female. I'm betting Focus hatch too with so many females into dogs big time and walking them. Features also like the foot activated rear tailgate. However, many females read CR and that doesn't help Detroit 3 case unfortunately. Just listened to female being interviewed for Detroit News story today: She wanted to buy a new Ford Escape, and she read CR for research, and they rated RAV 4 1st on reliability, real world fuel mileage, resale value, and on and on. So guess what, she bought the RAV. Now that is a familiar story.

Women and minorities have always been partial to foreign cars. Lets also include the yuppies graduating from U of M etc...and their negative perception of "union built cars" doesn't help much either. Lets also add injury to insult about the lower resale value of Fords and GMs compared to Hondas and Toyotas! Its all about perception! Its a new and growing generation. Once you lose them to foreign cars they almost never buy Ford or GM (Big 2 )....Chrysler is foreign owned. Its only going to get worse as women and minorities dominate the job market. Example....Almost 70% of all State of Michigan employees are female and minority. 18% of all federal workers are African American! Now with the Japanese manipulating the YEN to their cost advantage, it strengthens their sales. They use the leases which further brings the owners back every 2 years. When was the last time you saw an Asian driving a Ford or GM vehicle.? Not! They are loyal to their country!

I always find that funny about UofM/Ohio State grads, they love unions and think they are wonderful just ask any one there. But they all shop at Target, fly Southwest, send their kids to private schools, and drive a non union made car, But support the union! I will say though I've seen C-Max's and Volts around Ann Arbor lately, though the Prius and Outback are by far the most popular models.

One school district here had issues with the teachers union getting a contact, had big signs in their windshield when you would drop your kids off. -- Why should I support you when the parking lot is filled with Honda's and Audi's, you teach in Metro Detroit -- you should be smart enough to know where your money comes from!

Woman have two reason to drive foreign. They are scared their car is going to leave them stranded - a foreign car is more reliable than a domestic so I'll drive that. Throw image on top of that - they think as do their friends do that a Honda or Volkswagen is more prestigious than a Ford, Chevy or Buick, they want to seem trendy and smart so they drive foreign - it's all perception.

Getting bigger? How many adult women do you know who don't own a car?

Yeah, bigger. More and more males like me have turned to used car market, while women coming up better educated are greater percentage of new car buyers. Women are big time into reliability and bumper to bumper warranty, while men will take chance on what they researched is a good used car for a great price. My significant other is unusual in that she bought two year old RAV 4. No troubles other than she put her lap top on passenger seat, and couldn't start it, and I through phone call had to figure out problem and that sensors detected what they thought was infant in front seat. She was ready to blame the vehicle, but I had to expalin it to her that it wasn't vehicles fault. It was funny.

Much is long held perceptions. For ages the dealers for the domestics pretty much discounted women, treated them as not worthy of their time, and so on. This, after all was the culture in the 50s and 60s. And it persisted in the culture well into the 70s and 80s. Most imports (particularly Asian) really started post 1970. As with any newcomer, they aimed at underserved / neglected groups of consumers. Women were underserved / neglected, so the dealers for the Japanese (later Korean) looked at them as a ready customer base and courted them. By the 90s, the dealers for the domestics caught on. But perceptions persist - Toyota et all = female friendly, domestic = male centric.

I always find that funny about UofM/Ohio State grads, they love unions and think they are wonderful just ask any one there. But they all shop at Target, fly Southwest, send their kids to private schools, and drive a non union made car, But support the union! I will say though I've seen C-Max's and Volts around Ann Arbor lately, though the Prius and Outback are by far the most popular models.

One school district here had issues with the teachers union getting a contact, had big signs in their windshield when you would drop your kids off. -- Why should I support you when the parking lot is filled with Honda's and Audi's, you teach in Metro Detroit -- you should be smart enough to know where your money comes from!

Woman have two reason to drive foreign. They are scared their car is going to leave them stranded - a foreign car is more reliable than a domestic so I'll drive that. Throw image on top of that - they think as do their friends do that a Honda or Volkswagen is more prestigious than a Ford, Chevy or Buick, they want to seem trendy and smart so they drive foreign - it's all perception.

Yeah, the irony is very funny. My girl friend is UofM grad and lives and works in Ann Arbor area. Liberal in extreme while I'm liberal in social causes, but fiscally conservative. I'm also retired school teacher and when working usually one of few driving domestic daily driver. Rest of lot was Subarus, Hondas, and Toyotas. Principal usually drove MB. So it sometimes could be interesting in teacher's lounge when subject moved to vehicles. Rare conversaton when it wasn't about kids (elementary), but it could go there every now and then. I usually just smiled. I learned never to argue with a woman unless it's a BOF mafia female.

Ford has made some good inroads into Ann Arbor lately. I see anyway many more of them that even a few years ago. The Ford dealer in Chelsea went out of business, but Varsity in Ann Arbor and Briarwood in Saline do very well. I would say Ford is taken much more seriously now in cars in A2 than in decades. I've already seen quite a few new Fusions on roads around there.

Much is long held perceptions. For ages the dealers for the domestics pretty much discounted women, treated them as not worthy of their time, and so on. This, after all was the culture in the 50s and 60s. And it persisted in the culture well into the 70s and 80s. Most imports (particularly Asian) really started post 1970. As with any newcomer, they aimed at underserved / neglected groups of consumers. Women were underserved / neglected, so the dealers for the Japanese (later Korean) looked at them as a ready customer base and courted them. By the 90s, the dealers for the domestics caught on. But perceptions persist - Toyota et all = female friendly, domestic = male centric.

Well, for years, Ford was known to most of country as F-Series and Mustang only with maybe Explorer. That was it, and rest of lineup was unknown at best for everyone except for maybe parts of Midwest. Now with Fusion, Fiesta, Escape, Edge, Explorer, Ford is finally making some inroads and known for much more than F-Series and Mustang. Thus more females buying a Ford.

Mike Rowe ads are still running here. As far as bringing Jill Wagner back...I'm all for it! :wub:

This survey is pretty useless, how about the number of female buyers instead of a percentage of sales? Not allot of women buy F-150's, and that's by far the largest share of Ford's sales. You have to look at the individual model to know how well you're doing. Ford Explorer, Edge, and Escape have to do pretty well among women and families. It could very possibly be that Ford sells the most cars to women, but this article would have you believe the opposite.

Edited by BORG

So one person (you) now constitutes a national trend?

Actually, it has been a "national trend" for decades with it only becoming more so with the average price of a new vehicle now beyond the healthy reach of most middle class people who don't want to go into big time debt and ultra long payment schedules like 60 months and longer. But you knew that, didn't ya? Anyway, not everyone is as "brilliant" as you and buys first year, all new, Job 1 gussied up $30,000+ Fusion with missing trim pieces. I know I skipped that fun and good fortune. I'll let the "brilliant, super intelligent" consumers like yourself overspend and keep the economy going. I guess someone has to be the guinea pig.

Ditto! That's the only intelligent thing he's said here in the last 3 months.

I see I'm not alone about Jill Wagner...sweetheart! FYI...she is coming back to WIPEOUT! Yes!

In other news...the latest Honda commercial has this guy gleefully turning the wheel of his test drive Honda Accord and saying: "this drives better than the FUSION!" (A real expert off of the streets!) The Asians are getting defensive about the Fusion! Good!

The other insult is the name of that Canton Toyota dealership...VICTORY TOYOTA! I know they have a few other dealerships but my question is: "Victory over their defeat in the War?' ...or probably "Victory over the American Automakers!" Correct me if I'm wrong, was I dreaming or do the Victory Toyota license brackets have an American Flag? Wow, if so...that is really in your face!

Yeah, bigger. More and more males like me have turned to used car market, while women coming up better educated are greater percentage of new car buyers. Women are big time into reliability and bumper to bumper warranty, while men will take chance on what they researched is a good used car for a great price.

Evidence?

Edited by NickF1011

I think this is a bit of a conjured article.

If you actually look at the most popular brands for women buyers, none of them are over 48.5%

so nowhere in the sales demographics do women buyers ever exceed male buyers.

And in the brands where women buyers score the best, mini, Kia, Honda, Fiat Mitsubishi, Hyundai, Mazda Subaru.

Well none of those are really that huge in terms of total sales...

On the positive side, in 2012 Ford sold 2.25 million vehicles in the USA, so at 31.8%, women buyers made up around 715,500 of them

I know that GM has a slightly higher percentage of women buyers than Ford and more sales to boot so its numbers will be better...

I call it fun with percentages, must be a slow news day.:)