Many Females Turn Their Back On Detroit 3

All that really happened over the last 5-6 years was that people stopped buying new vehicles as regularly, the SAAR went from 16 million down to 10 million

and is now running along at 15 million. something that can be explained by people stretching out their new vehicle purchases and now returning to the market.

All that really happened over the last 5-6 years was that people stopped buying new vehicles as regularly, the SAAR went from 16 million down to 10 million

and is now running along at 15 million. something that can be explained by people stretching out their new vehicle purchases and now returning to the market.

I thought it was approaching 19 million before 2008?

Edited by BORG

which would also explain why Ford paired back its operations....because I doubt we'll be seeing those numbers any time soon in the next 10-20 years if we are lucky....

The Used car market DWARFS the new car market, and has for decades. Dealers make more money selling used cars than new. And the CPO market is huge with often better warranties in some ways. It's very difficult to justify the economic sense of buying new vs. used in most ways. It's been a little better lately with new vehicles since cash for clunkers has skyrocketed used car prices, and new vehicles sometimes have very lucrative incentives like rebates and 0 or very low interest loans, but in many more cases, used makes much better economic sense. With new vehicle sales picking up, look for used car prices to start going back down, and notice the better deals out there. I recently looked at candy apple red 2012 Fusion SEL with heated seats, V6, and lots of other options, and it was dealer priced at $17,500 with less than 20,000 miles. I asked salesmen if he would go lower, and he gave affimative answer. It was awfully tempting, but after sleeping on it, passed up great deal. They are out there.

People have short memories and are willing to swim in debt again. So what else is new? Probably more people are underwater on their fancy new vehicles than even on their excessive, overly leveraged homes. Or they are leasing and never own a vehicle. I suspect it's the renting the vehicle mostly.

People have short memories and are willing to swim in debt again. So what else is new? Probably more people are underwater on their fancy new vehicles than even on their excessive, overly leveraged homes. Or they are leasing and never own a vehicle. I suspect it's the renting the vehicle mostly.

Subprime lending is still a very low portion of the overall new car market, the delinquency rate does not match your opinions.

These days, auto leases have appropriate / better calculated surrender values these days so there's no nasty shocks for at the end of terms.

Edited by jpd80

Subprime lending is still a very low portion of the overall new car market, the delinquency rate does not match your opinions.

These days, auto leases have appropriate / better calculated surrender values these days so there's no nasty shocks for at the end of terms.

Like I said, new auto buyers have very short memories. Article just posted on here in last couple weeks came to conclusion that if your average income is $50,000/year, you should not take out a loan on vehicle that goes for more than about $18,000. So that puts most into used car territory, not new unless you are buying Focus SE or Fiesta. So here we go again with many overextending themselves in all likelihood. No wonder so many have to work until they drop dead or live on dog food in their old age. A new vehicle is the worst investment one can make unless you had stock in GM or some other loser company.

I'm under the assumption that all the major players build good vehicles. But some appeal to females more than others.

That's just your opinion. Please supply details and numbers.

Women and minorities have always been partial to foreign cars.

That's your opinion. Please supply details and numbers.

I think that the Detroit 3 can get some of that lost female market share back.

Please supply numbers of this "lost female market share".

The chicken has come home to roost.

35 + years of outsourcing good paying unskilled jobs has led us to where we are today whereas the common middle class workers can barely afford a new car if at all. It doesn't help that new car prices continue to outpace other prices of goods and commodities. The drive to make goods less expensive eventually costs us the ability to purchase those goods. Automobiles are a casualty of this thought process. I'll surely get flamed for this post and I could probably be more descriptive in my explanation but typing on this virtual keyboard is hindering.

I apologize as this post is somewhat off topic.

Like I said, new auto buyers have very short memories. Article just posted on here in last couple weeks came to conclusion that if your average income is $50,000/year, you should not take out a loan on vehicle that goes for more than about $18,000. So that puts most into used car territory, not new unless you are buying Focus SE or Fiesta. So here we go again with many overextending themselves in all likelihood. No wonder so many have to work until they drop dead or live on dog food in their old age. A new vehicle is the worst investment one can make unless you had stock in GM or some other loser company.

Like i said, the delinquency rate does not match your opinions.

Edited by jpd80

There are some extraordinary events governing used car pricing. Such as the economic crisis causing FAR fewer new car sales with less fleet dumping to drive down resale; a Tsunami that wiped out America's most popular car makers for nearly 8 months; and an East Coast disaster which wiped out 250,000 vehicles. And nevermind a disciplined auto industry placing value on margin over volume. This is actually an element of a sustainable automotive business so I'm glad to see it, even if I'm just a pesky leaser ;)

Edited by BORG

There are some extraordinary events governing used car pricing. Such as the economic crisis causing FAR fewer new car sales with less fleet dumping to drive down resale; a Tsunami that wiped out America's most popular car makers for nearly 8 months; and an East Coast disaster which wiped out 250,000 vehicles. And nevermind a disciplined auto industry placing value on margin over volume. This is actually an element of a sustainable automotive business so I'm glad to see it, even if I'm just a pesky leaser ;)

That's right. If there is a shortage of low mileage used cars (desirable ones) then the price increases forcing more buyers into the new vehicle market.

I think that's why the SAAR has been up around 15 million for the past few months.

Dog food costs more then Human Food....

Looks to me like most dog food runs about a dollar a pound, about 6 cents per ounce. While you can probably buy staple grains for less than that, you probably would not be able to live on anything like your current diet for that little.

Looks to me like most dog food runs about a dollar a pound, about 6 cents per ounce. While you can probably buy staple grains for less than that, you probably would not be able to live on anything like your current diet for that little.

In Australia, we're now paying near $28.00 a kilogram for Sirloin and we have nothing like a 14 gazillion dollar debt....

In Australia, we're now paying near $28.00 a kilogram for Sirloin and we have nothing like a 14 gazillion dollar debt....

In the US, the cost of feed grain has gone up significantly driving up production costs (especially for beef). Cows can live on hay, but they won't get fat on it. I haven't priced cuts of beef lately, but nowadays what is a discount price, used to be the non-discount price.

As far as the original premise of the thread, I'd question the methodology. Does a female buyer mean a single woman, sans a significant (male) other? If you broke it down between single females and married females, you would certainly find divergences. Not many wives go buy cars without their husband's input. My wife's car (that she picked out) is in my name, so is she the buyer? You could argue either way.

Like I said, new auto buyers have very short memories. Article just posted on here in last couple weeks came to conclusion that if your average income is $50,000/year, you should not take out a loan on vehicle that goes for more than about $18,000.

The affordability rule of thumb used to be that you could afford a car that was approximately half of your annual income. Of course, that was also before people had more monthly bills than most do today. I pay over $300 a month just for my cell phone/cable/internet bundle. That bill didn't exist a generation ago.

That's just your opinion. Please supply details and numbers.

That's your opinion. Please supply details and numbers.

Please supply numbers of this "lost female market share".

Top Five Brands based on Passenger Vehicle Sales to Women Brand / Share of Women Market

• Toyota 15.7% (Represents 15.7 of every 100 sales to women is a Toyota)
  • Honda 14.0%
  • Ford 10.0%
  • Chevrolet 8.9%
  • Nissan 8.8%

Top Five Brands based on Women's Share of Brand Sales

• Mini 47.9% (Represents 47.9 of every 100 Minis sold are registered to women)
  • Kia 46.8%
  • Honda 46.0%
  • Nissan 45.5%
  • Subaru 45.0%
Edited by bobbyd

As far as the original premise of the thread, I'd question the methodology. Does a female buyer mean a single woman, sans a significant (male) other? ...

Their definition of "female buyers" is number of new cars registered under females, which does not represent the true number of female buyers at all!

Not saying their conclusion is wrong, but they used very misleading percentage numbers in their analysis. In the article, they pointed out that,

- women "influencing four of every five purchases" and

- "ownership is tracked based on the name on the registration, and in many households, a man's name is on the registration even if a woman is the primary driver."

So to your point, a married female makes the buying decision, the family pays for the car, she drives the car everyday, but because the car is registered under her husband for any number of reasons, she's not counted as a female buyer?

Before one can prove this group of female buyers follow the trend of the "registered female buyers", one should not use the "registered female buyers" percentage to draw any conclusions.

Well call me Archie Bunker, but...I've always drove and raced Fords and the wife had a dodge when we met. She got rid of it before we married and nothing but Ford is allowed in my driveway. Her friend bought a new caliber which had a hatchback and she wanted a new one too. Ford doesn't make a hatch right now...so we didn't buy.

I am VERY adament, I and I alone decide the vehicles we drive. There is no discussion. I leave her basically all other decisions, school for the kids, what colour the rooms are, what flatware she likes (heck I could live in a slide in camper and eat with my hands as long as I had a huge garage)

The problem today, and I see it on here is that too many guys are "non automotive" guys and treat a car purchase the same as a woman. Therefore they treat the decision as equal. (which in that case it is) The guy that buys a car because of the "ease of moving the sunvisor" is NOT a "car guy".

In comparison, when the wife wants to buy new lawn furniture, she'll do the research and tell me what is best and why. Since I'm not "into" lawn furniture, and she has done the research, I'll go with whatever she says as SHE is the one in the know.

This whole article is full of crap. If a woman is single, she talks to her father or boyfriend or another male figure for guidance on automotive things. Like it or not, that's fact. If those figures are dipshit import lovers (not car guys) then she buys the same import he would buy. If that figure has an automotive connection or blue collar background then there is a better chance (not guaranteed) that the choice will be domestic.

Women also buy what their friends buy and the other possibility is that they don't go to a guy unless one is available, they go to their friend with the new car and ask her directly.

But for all those "pro female" types out there who gush about the superiority of women (cough cough ford buyer cough cough) turn off the reverse-sexism for a second and face the fact that gender has no bearing on it.

You have 4 people;

Car guys

Car girls (oh yes there is more and more of these)

Non car guys (yeah unfortunately there is way too many of these)

Non car girls

Doesn't matter what's hanging, the ones "into" cars should be making the decision on what car to buy.