How about the obvious - a truck smaller than the current F-150?

blksn8k2

Short box standard cab F-150 has the same wheelbase as an extended cab Ranger.

This is a big reason why the Ranger is NIOT imported,

I can't wait to see the official fuel economy numbers for the base aluminum F150. I only wish they would bring back a stick shift (not likely).

Edited by theoldwizard

Half of your statement is inaccurate.

The "global Ranger" already had a team in place to design the vehicle. Very little additional effort would be require to make it a IS model (look at the current full size Transit.)

There is a lot more to bringing the Ranger to the U.S. than design. Crash testing, EPA certification and the biggest which you already mentioned - manufacturing. I was talking about the entire cost to start selling it here and to keep it updated.

I question whether there will be enough demand for the new Edge, even with EU sales, to keep the Oakville Assembly Plant busy/profitable.

They're on pace to sell about 130K Edges and another 20K MKX this year. And that should go up with the new models and export sales. I think 200K is easily attainable.

They're on pace to sell about 130K Edges and another 20K MKX this year. And that should go up with the new models and export sales. I think 200K is easily attainable.

That doesn't count Canada either. Fairly certain Edge is being exported to China from OAP already as well. Volume won't be an issue for it.

Let's see how many they build for 2018MY. I will be surprised if they can keep 1 shift busy for more than a couple of years.

I doubt that they will break out EU or right hand drive sales, but I would really love to see those numbers !

• 3 weeks later...

The full sized F-150 is just plain hard to park, it is much bigger than what most people need and it is too expensive. THAT's why I chose a Ranger 17 years ago. I don't have room to park an F-150.

My wish? A 3.5l turbo diesel manual transmission (optional) supercab with a 5 foot box. Make the cab about 3 inches wider than the older model. No more than that. Dual tanks and a high ratio rear axle. 35mpg highway and 700mile range. You would have to stop to eat more often than fill up.

Edited by bikinchris

The full sized F-150 is just plain hard to park,

You obviously haven't driven a crew cab Super Duty. I look back at my F150 and realize that thing was a cinch to park!

In reality though, my F250 is not much more difficult to park than our Flex due to the big-ass mirrors. I feel much more comfortable backing up my big blue behemoth than our Flex.

An 18 wheeler is hard to park too, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to try to park one. I am talking about normal people trying to park a full sized truck everyday. Parking spots are getting smaller in many work places and around many towns. try to drive that full sized truck and find a parking spot in many large cities.

I drove a rented cabover a while back and found it easier to park than an F-250.

Edited by bikinchris

An 18 wheeler is hard to park too, but that doesn't mean everyone needs to try to park one. I am talking about normal people trying to park a full sized truck everyday. Parking spots are getting smaller in many work places and around many towns. try to drive that full sized truck and find a parking spot in many large cities.

I drove a rented cabover a while back and found it easier to park than an F-250.

I was mostly being facetious with my post. And yes, large cities are a real pain for big trucks.

Thank God they have (or will soon) kill the FLEX/MkT ! Monthly sales for MkT have been averaging LESS THAN 500 PER MONTH !!

I question whether there will be enough demand for the new Edge, even with EU sales, to keep the Oakville Assembly Plant busy/profitable.

MKT IMO about the fugliest vehicle Ford ever built. As for the Edge, reading about the upgrades to the 2015, sounds pretty good. My daughter in law had a new Freestyle AWD. They loved it but at 70,000, my son had concerns about the CVT making noises. So they got a new Edge. Loved that but within a year discovered with two little kids it was too small so they get a new Explorer which they love. The Edge with the new upgrades (and some good marketing) should hold its own. Only thing I see holding it down is the internal space issues vs some of the competition as my kids found out. Then again, I'm not making that statement with stats in front of me-it just looks smaller than a lot of the GM crossovers.