FoE busy on new Mustang?

"But de Waard has made it clear that Ford of Europe is now focused squarely on the next Mustang, even though there may be more RS models on the way eventually."

from

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/03/18/ford-will-probably-never-offer-two-rs-models-at-the-same-time/

Did anyone else see this statement, I remember talk of an internal ford competition to design the new mustang, did FoE win?

Or, it could be that since the new Mustang will be sold globally, FoE is working with the design team to ensure that it meets euro specs as well as North America specs so that when it goes on sale, it doesn't need too many modifications to bring it into compliance with those pesky euro specifications....

How American will the mustang be if it is based on the Ford EVOs concept which was pinned by the design centers in FOE and FNA and both centers are actually run by Europeans, Moray Callum and Martin Smith?

For the Record the EVOS IMO is a modernized version of the mustang with design designed to appeal to a global audience.

Martin Smith - Executive Design Director, Ford of Europe and APA

Martin Smith is Executive Design Director, Ford of Europe, a position he was appointed to July 1, 2004. He is also responsible for design in Ford Asia Pacific and Africa.

Prior to joining Ford of Europe, Mr. Smith worked for General Motors Europe as Executive Director of Design for Opel and Vauxhall, and before that he was Vehicle Line Design Director for Adam Opel AG where he was responsible for compact cars.

From 1977-1997 Martin Smith held various positions at Audi AG including head of Audi's external design studio in Munich from 1984. In 1991, he became Audi's chief designer for interiors.

Martin Smith began his career as designer for Porsche AG in 1973.
He was born in 1949 in Sheffield, England and holds a Bachelor degree in engineering from Liverpool University plus a Masters degree of Design from the Royal College of Art.

Moray Callum - Executive Design Director, Ford Americas

Moray Callum was named the company’s Executive Director, Ford Americas Design, effective May 1, 2009. He has overall responsibility for the design of all cars and trucks designed in Ford’s North and South America studios, and he also will guide the design of Lincoln and Mercury products.

Since 2006, Callum has been responsible for implementing the design strategy and execution involving all Ford, Lincoln and Mercury cars and car-based crossovers. He has overseen the design of the 2010 Taurus and directed the teams that developed the 2010 Mustang, Fusion and Mercury Milan designs.

Previously, Callum was head of Mazda’s worldwide design. While there, he brought to life a new generation of Mazda vehicles, including the iconic MX-5 and the CX-7 crossover, along with the spirited lineup of Mazda 2, Mazda3, Mazda5 and Mazda6.

He joined Ford in 1995, where he designed key North American products, including the 2000 Taurus and production vehicles such as the last generation of Super Duty pickups.

His international design career started in 1982, when he began working for Chrysler Corp. UK and then Peugeot-Citroen PSA on passenger and commercial vehicles. After six years, he joined Ghia Spa as a consultant designer. His work included the Ghia Via concept vehicle in 1989, leading Ghia’s design consultancy to Jaguar, and the Aston martin Lagonda Vignale concept.

Born in 1958, Callum graduated from Napier University in Edinburgh with a bachelor’s degree in industrial design. He also holds a master’s degree in transportation design from the Royal College of Art in London.

Edited by Biker16

How American will the mustang be

The 427 concept was penned by a Brit, you knucklehead. It's not about where the designer was born.

Or do you want to talk about good ol' Yankee Ingenuity, seeing how C1 was overseen by the American Derrick Kuzak?

I mean, Cripes, Biker. J Mays is from Oklahoma. Alan Mulally is from Kansas. Do we really want to go down the "where you are born from is who you are" path?

Ford hires Max Wolfe because they intend to bring an Australian sensibility to Lincoln? To relaunch Lincoln in the all-important Australian market?

Edited by RichardJensen

The 427 concept was penned by a Brit, you knucklehead. It's not about where the designer was born.

Or do you want to talk about good ol' Yankee Ingenuity, seeing how C1 was overseen by the American Derrick Kuzak?

no need to call names Richard.

the only thing that made it into production from the 427 concept was it's grille. then it was overdone and put everywhere as a substitute for good design.

There is a cure for Xenophobia, you should look into it.

The Global Center for automotive Design is in Europe not the US, European designs have had greater acceptance globally than US designs, which in some cultures are viewed as too aggressive or crude.

Edited by Biker16

How American will the mustang be if it is based on the Ford EVOs concept which was pinned by the design centers in FOE and FNA and both centers are actually run by Europeans, Moray Callum and Martin Smith?

In the end, I really doubt we're going to see a whole lot of Evos in the Mustang. After all, by the time it launches, that concept will be what, 4 years old? It may see some hints of it in things like headlight and grille treatments, but I've got a suspicion that all of those early renderings based squarely on the Evos' body lines are going to be entirely wrong.

the only thing that made it into production from the 427 concept was it's grille

Clearly, you don't get it. The 427 concept was not a "British" or even a "European" concept, despite being penned by a British person.

And, again, clearly, you don't understand the failure of your logic--wherein, Moray Callum's European origin can be used to prove that the Mustang will be "European", while failing to appreciate that the exact same logic makes C1 and EUCD "American" because they were supervised by Derrick Kuzak.

But this cherry-picking of facts and selective amnesia are, basically, your trademarks.

In the end, I really doubt we're going to see a whole lot of Evos in the Mustang. After all, by the time it launches, that concept will be what, 4 years old? It may see some hints of it in things like headlight and grille treatments, but I've got a suspicion that all of those early renderings based squarely on the Evos' body lines are going to be entirely wrong.

there is alot of mustang in the EVOS I think it would be an excellent

?....there was no name calling Biker....just the ongoing US vs Europe diatribe.....its become like the Republicans vs Dems....

Being called a knucklehead is name calling, and is inappropriate especially from a moderator.

then name it the Capri...problem solved.....

I don't think there is a need to rename it, just make the mustang with Global Market in mind.

Being called a knucklehead is name calling, and is inappropriate especially from a moderator.

Seriously, you are taking offense to being called a kucklehead? Get over it dude (assuming that's an OK name to call you), it's not like kucklehead is a bad name. To me, it's a joking name for someone who doesn't quite get the point that is trying to be made.

Edited by fordmantpw

Clearly, you don't get it. The 427 concept was not a "British" or even a "European" concept, despite being penned by a British person.

And, again, clearly, you don't understand the failure of your logic--wherein, Moray Callum's European origin can be used to prove that the Mustang will be "European", while failing to appreciate that the exact same logic makes C1 and EUCD "American" because they were supervised by Derrick Kuzak.

But this cherry-picking of facts and selective amnesia are, basically, your trademarks.

I get it, I got it along time ago, that it doesn't matter, none of it matters, but when you take a position that FOE is the reason babies cry in the US. I have to take issue with it.

When say the mustang will not sell in the EU because they don't like American cars, while ignoring the fact that Ford has been making cars in the EU for over a century, yet you waste energy applying cultural characteristics to engineering and design characteristics.

We are both guilty of amnesia and cherry picking of facts, you are expressly guilty of criticism with bias, and failure to separate your opinions from facts.

You refuse To acknowledge the good that FOE has done and instead focus on perceived issues that may or may not be FOE related.

The Fact is FOE can make the Mustang a much better car. The mindset of the engineers of the Small performance vehicles that have won widespread Acclaim everywhere can help make the next mustang a better car and completely redefine the modern muscle car, why can't you see this?

There isn't any thing wrong with mustang that can destroy the Camaro while offering competition for the 370z and possibly the BRZ.

Fords vision is to make the mustang more attractive to younger drivers, are not buying car strictly on hp.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130317/COL14/303170143/Mark-Phelan-Mustang-at-50

"The challenge is to address buyers who are old enough to understand the design of the original, and younger ones who don't have any connection with that car," said design consultant David Rand.

"If you create a car that appeals to both, you've got a hit on your hands."

It would be a fine looking vehicle, but I don't think much about the language says "Mustang", which is why I doubt much of it will carry over.

the way the grille leans forward

the powerful kick up in the rear fender.

the tail lights look like an evolution of the

1965-ford-mustang-large-10.jpg

2006 Giugiaro concept

g_mustang_1280_01.jpg

2010 mustang

mustang-6.jpg

Evos

ford_evos_11_07.jpg

Seriously, you are taking offense to being called a kucklehead? Get over it dude (assuming that's an OK name to call you), it's not like kucklehead is a bad name. To me, it's a joking name for someone who doesn't quite get the point that is trying to be made.

dude is fine.

you are expressly guilty of criticism with bias, and failure to separate your opinions from facts.

You refuse To acknowledge the good that FOE has done and instead focus on perceived issues that may or may not be FOE related.

Everyone on the planet is guilty of criticism with bias.

Further, with you loudly trumpeting *every* FOE success, explain to me why I should devote significant chunks of what I post here to repetition of your points?

My failure to mention the assorted accomplishments of FoE does not constitute denial of their existence.

You, on the other hand, do not merely trumpet FOE successes, you loudly and often profanely attack any suggestion that their improved products have neither improved their bottom line, nor increased their market share, despite the factual basis for these points. You continually insist that FOE products can 'easily' be adapted for FNA, yet paradoxically call into question Ford's decision to launch so many Transit variants at once. You will defend FOE if it means contradicting yourself, as you did with the Transit launch, and as you did just now by equating "European-born designer" with "European design", while lauding the efforts of FOE under an American lead engineer.