C-Max - Loving It After 8 Months

luv4beer

Just thought I'd report in after enjoying the first 8 months of our C-Max Hybrid:

This was our first hybrid, and getting used to driving this hybrid was a breeze. There are various gauge/graph/calculation options to choose for viewing the entire hybrid experience...very interesting and informative. The info center greatly contributes to a quick understanding of how to drive this hybrid...slow acceleration when possible, gradual braking, and generally knowing when/how to kick it into 'EV' mode. A chimp could easily figure it out. A very nice system overall.

We acquired the C-Max in September, if I remember correctly, and the MPG noticably decreased as the temps sank through the winter months - no different than other vehicles. MPG is climbing fairly quickly now with warmer temps. Nonetheless, I think most people want to know if this vehicle will get anywhere close to 47/47 as stated by the EPA estimate. I don't believe it will, but 'time' still needs to tell. I bought this vehicle after I crunched numbers of my wife's old vehicle MPG, ave. miles driven per year, and comparing gas costs vs. what it would be with the EPA estimate of the C-Max. Payback...simple and nothing more than that. The 'premium' one pays for the C-Max over a similar gas-only vehicle is only a few thousand. My wife simply wanted a dependable vehicle that got her from 'point A' to 'point B' - new or used, she just didn't care.

Regardless of the well-below-EPA-estimate MPG to this point, we love this car (it's now getting around 40 MPG after dipping below 35 in the winter months...ave. of city/hwy). I no longer care about the MPG (it's now simply a bonus) because this car is superior in so many ways. This thing has had ZERO defects, and it is absolutely built like a tank for a vehicle of this size. Quality oozes from every nook & cranny. Ford did not skimp on anything here. My question is..."where is the Consumer Report survey?" For the first time in my life, I actually want to fill out a survey on something. My wife doesn't care about all of the aspects that I do, but she even commented that she feels like this thing will last forever. With such a complex machine, it's surprising to me that absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it. Exterior paint job is impressive, although some chode (in a large truck it appears) rammed his/her door into poor "Candy's" driver door. Bastard. Interior fit and finish is right at or even a notch above what you would expect for a $25K-$28K vehicle. I'd be really surprised to find out if Ford made a dime on the C-Max...just the feeling I have after owning it for 8 months.

Great vehicle, the C-Max. I hope others have had a similar experience that we have had. After regularly driving rental cars for years and sampling the latest offerings from other manufacturers, I do have a decent 'gauge' of what to expect. For an efficient 5-person hauler, this vehicle is a home run.

Edited by luv4beer
  • Like 2

So how is it in the snow and climbing hills in slippery conditions if there are in fact hills in Indiana? Does it have a little more wheel clearance in snow than sedan? I would suppose it has traction control on the front wheels and all season tires. Yeah, I figured 47mpg for tall wagon highway was out there unless you are willing to get ticket for impeding traffic. I do like the vehicle though, and am considering looking at one in future. I would hope though that Ford does AWD version unless the FWD version is excellent in snow.

So how is it in the snow and climbing hills in slippery conditions if there are in fact hills in Indiana? Does it have a little more wheel clearance in snow than sedan? I would suppose it has traction control on the front wheels and all season tires. Yeah, I figured 47mpg for tall wagon highway was out there unless you are willing to get ticket for impeding traffic. I do like the vehicle though, and am considering looking at one in future. I would hope though that Ford does AWD version unless the FWD version is excellent in snow.

Funny you mention AWD. My biggest fascination with this vehicle thus far has been its performance in the snow and even on icy roads. Wow. It really does feel like a 4WD. Stock tires are Michelins, but there obviously are several other factors in play. It does have traction control, but I'm too inexperienced to know when/if it's kicked in. I've played with the traction control button, and this thing still has great traction when it's off. There aren't many hills in NE Indiana, but it has done well on the modest hills I've climbed.

Just thought I'd report in after enjoying the first 8 months of our C-Max Hybrid:

This was our first hybrid, and getting used to driving this hybrid was a breeze. There are various gauge/graph/calculation options to choose for viewing the entire hybrid experience...very interesting and informative. The info center greatly contributes to a quick understanding of how to drive this hybrid...slow acceleration when possible, gradual braking, and generally knowing when/how to kick it into 'EV' mode. A chimp could easily figure it out. A very nice system overall.

We acquired the C-Max in September, if I remember correctly, and the MPG noticably decreased as the temps sank through the winter months - no different than other vehicles. MPG is climbing fairly quickly now with warmer temps. Nonetheless, I think most people want to know if this vehicle will get anywhere close to 47/47 as stated by the EPA estimate. I don't believe it will, but 'time' still needs to tell. I bought this vehicle after I crunched numbers of my wife's old vehicle MPG, ave. miles driven per year, and comparing gas costs vs. what it would be with the EPA estimate of the C-Max. Payback...simple and nothing more than that. The 'premium' one pays for the C-Max over a similar gas-only vehicle is only a few thousand. My wife simply wanted a dependable vehicle that got her from 'point A' to 'point B' - new or used, she just didn't care.

Regardless of the well-below-EPA-estimate MPG to this point, we love this car (it's now getting around 40 MPG after dipping below 35 in the winter months...ave. of city/hwy). I no longer care about the MPG (it's now simply a bonus) because this car is superior in so many ways. This thing has had ZERO defects, and it is absolutely built like a tank for a vehicle of this size. Quality oozes from every nook & cranny. Ford did not skimp on anything here. My question is..."where is the Consumer Report survey?" For the first time in my life, I actually want to fill out a survey on something. My wife doesn't care about all of the aspects that I do, but she even commented that she feels like this thing will last forever. With such a complex machine, it's surprising to me that absolutely nothing has gone wrong with it. Exterior paint job is impressive, although some chode (in a large truck it appears) rammed his/her door into poor "Candy's" driver door. Bastard. Interior fit and finish is right at or even a notch above what you would expect for a $25K-$28K vehicle. I'd be really surprised to find out if Ford made a dime on the C-Max...just the feeling I have after owning it for 8 months.

Great vehicle, the C-Max. I hope others have had a similar experience that we have had. After regularly driving rental cars for years and sampling the latest offerings from other manufacturers, I do have a decent 'gauge' of what to expect. For an efficient 5-person hauler, this vehicle is a home run.

Thanks for the honest report. I am as big of a critic of hybrids as you will find. Sounds like the C-Max is very well built. I can see how they could be fun to drive. It would be like playing a video game in the car. Gotta love the power for a hybrid. I cant get past the initial price of any of them. I look forward to see how they hold up long term. Keep us posted and good luck.

Funny you mention AWD. My biggest fascination with this vehicle thus far has been its performance in the snow and even on icy roads. Wow. It really does feel like a 4WD. Stock tires are Michelins, but there obviously are several other factors in play. It does have traction control, but I'm too inexperienced to know when/if it's kicked in. I've played with the traction control button, and this thing still has great traction when it's off. There aren't many hills in NE Indiana, but it has done well on the modest hills I've climbed.

Thanks for the info/experience with your new C-Max. It is a fascinating vehicle from Ford and has my interest. I love multi functional vehicles as daily drivers and the C-Max is right up there with its 40mpg in combined driving, cargo space, and ability to deal with slippery conditions and fairly deep snow. With where I plan to be moving to, it's going to come down to C-Max or Subaru AWD Flat 4 Outback. I will have to climb a steep hill in winter conditions so bad big pebbles are used on side of road for traction to make it up the hill out of neighborhood so to speak. So I well need something that gives great traction and good to excellent fuel mileage plus great cargo space. Maybe an Escape after first year glitches, but I like C-Max better, especially if Ford adds AWD later.

• Like 1

To the OP, since this is a hybrid (versus Plug in), how would you assess your wife's adaptation to the vehicle? I would imagine it has been seamless, since essentially it behaves as a 'regular' gas car, and doesn't require any new behaviors (plugging it in, etc.).

Thank you for the report. The C-Max is on my radar screen for purchase, but I'm holding out to see if Ford adds some features for the 2014 model year (HID headlights, etc.).

• Like 1

Thanks for the info/experience with your new C-Max. It is a fascinating vehicle from Ford and has my interest. I love multi functional vehicles as daily drivers and the C-Max is right up there with its 40mpg in combined driving, cargo space, and ability to deal with slippery conditions and fairly deep snow. With where I plan to be moving to, it's going to come down to C-Max or Subaru AWD Flat 4 Outback. I will have to climb a steep hill in winter conditions so bad big pebbles are used on side of road for traction to make it up the hill out of neighborhood so to speak. So I well need something that gives great traction and good to excellent fuel mileage plus great cargo space. Maybe an Escape after first year glitches, but I like C-Max better, especially if Ford adds AWD later.

To the OP, since this is a hybrid (versus Plug in), how would you assess your wife's adaptation to the vehicle? I would imagine it has been seamless, since essentially it behaves as a 'regular' gas car, and doesn't require any new behaviors (plugging it in, etc.).

Thank you for the report. The C-Max is on my radar screen for purchase, but I'm holding out to see if Ford adds some features for the 2014 model year (HID headlights, etc.).

I feel the same way and am going to hold out for MY 2014 or maybe MY 2015? Seriously, if "luvforbeer" took delivery of his 2013 MY C-MAX in Sept, 2012 and MY 2013 C-MAX is now scheduled do have a Production Run ending Dec. 1, 2013, even if MY 2014 C-MAX JOB 1 starts before Jan. 2014, (doubtful) the Vehicles won`t hit Dealerships until Spring of 2014! A year and a half MY 2013 Run means a (very) short MY 2014 Production Run or perhaps an early Launch of MY 2015? I won`t purchase a MY 2014 that switches over to MY 2015 6 months later!

I feel the same way and am going to hold out for MY 2014 or maybe MY 2015? Seriously, if "luvforbeer" took delivery of his 2013 MY C-MAX in Sept, 2012 and MY 2013 C-MAX is now scheduled do have a Production Run ending Dec. 1, 2013, even if MY 2014 C-MAX JOB 1 starts before Jan. 2014, (doubtful) the Vehicles won`t hit Dealerships until Spring of 2014! A year and a half MY 2013 Run means a (very) short MY 2014 Production Run or perhaps an early Launch of MY 2015? I won`t purchase a MY 2014 that switches over to MY 2015 6 months later!

Ford seems to really have the reliability of its hybrid drivetrains down pat. You never hear about any problems or recalls like with its recent conventional vehicles. I have a tennis buddy that drives an older Escape hybrid and no troubles many miles and years later. He is a snow bird and drives it down and back from FL every year to boot. So I don't have any big trepidations buying Ford hybrid vehicle, even first year vehicle it seems. Still waiting to hear about any big problems with first year C-Max, and enough are on road to know by now. Around here, they are everywhere.

• Like 1

I really liked the cmax from the front seats forward. I didn't care for the back seats though which seemed cheap, hard and uncomfortable. That was the only flaw I could find but it was enough to push me to the fusion. For the money though, especially on A plan, it's probably one of the best vehicles you can get.

I really liked the cmax from the front seats forward. I didn't care for the back seats though which seemed cheap, hard and uncomfortable. That was the only flaw I could find but it was enough to push me to the fusion. For the money though, especially on A plan, it's probably one of the best vehicles you can get.

My wife and I bought ours in November, live in central NC, have an attached garage (keeps it warmer), drive mainly during day (lights use power) and we've averaged 44+ for all miles and now getting over 50 on all trips in warmer weather. We also love the quality drive, fit and finish but we bought C-Max for MPG over Escape. We also bought C-Max for the higher seating position, this was one reason for Escape along with extra storage of SUV. We would not consider the Focus or Fiesta or Prius because of said seating position.

Very glad you posted your comments but I have a couple of questions. Do you park outside @ night? Do you drive much @ night? What are the main speed limits you drive?

• Like 1

Last month, Ford and Lincoln sold 8,500 hybrids. People are not stupid and are going in eyes open, hybrids work but they can be affected by a lot of factors.

The point is to understand that and not get all litigious because people thought they were being guaranteed 47 mpg everywhere..

• Like 1

My wife and I bought ours in November, live in central NC, have an attached garage (keeps it warmer), drive mainly during day (lights use power) and we've averaged 44+ for all miles and now getting over 50 on all trips in warmer weather. We also love the quality drive, fit and finish but we bought C-Max for MPG over Escape. We also bought C-Max for the higher seating position, this was one reason for Escape along with extra storage of SUV. We would not consider the Focus or Fiesta or Prius because of said seating position.

Very glad you posted your comments but I have a couple of questions. Do you park outside @ night? Do you drive much @ night? What are the main speed limits you drive?

Our C-Max is garage-parked at night. It's looking more and more like outdoor temps have everything to do MPGs for this vehicle. We had a very long winter here (Ft. Wayne, IN) where temps were in the 20s/30s from late November through March. Most of my wife's driving is 4-mile trips to her workplace and many other short drives. With the cabin always struggling to get to 70 degrees, the gas engine was on most of the winter (heat comes from gas engine). Not to mention my wife cranking cabin setting to 85 to get the cabin warmer quicker... :doh:

Today, with temps in the 70s, I averaged well over 50 for 25-30 miles driving around town. Amazing difference now that ambient temps are much higher.

My wife adapted very quickly and easily to this vehicle. My researching of it before we took delivery did help a bit, but the info center makes the learning curve very quick. My wife is technologically-challenged in many ways, so that should tell you something. The car does drive just like a regulary car when you want it to, and it has surprising quickness for what you'd expect with a hybrid. The CVT transmission just makes the whole experience that much smoother. Very easy car to drive in so many ways.

Our C-Max is garage-parked at night. It's looking more and more like outdoor temps have everything to do MPGs for this vehicle. We had a very long winter here (Ft. Wayne, IN) where temps were in the 20s/30s from late November through March. Most of my wife's driving is 4-mile trips to her workplace and many other short drives. With the cabin always struggling to get to 70 degrees, the gas engine was on most of the winter (heat comes from gas engine). Not to mention my wife cranking cabin setting to 85 to get the cabin warmer quicker... :doh:

Today, with temps in the 70s, I averaged well over 50 for 25-30 miles driving around town. Amazing difference now that ambient temps are much higher.

thanks for your reply. I too find early temps below 40 to affect MPG, anything above we get high 40's to 50's. Here in NC we had a moderate winter and cool spring so I expect the summer to be hot and AC will keep us in the mid to upper 40's.

You lucky bastard.

Who me? Key West, FL has nice Weather but wanna deal with Hurricane evacuations every Summer and the highest cost of living other then Honolulu or San Francisco? Also, In the Summer, the only difference in Temperature between 3:00AM and 3:00 PM is 5 degrees and whether your looking at the Moon or the Sun, LOL.

I'm in Sioux Falls. We had snow last Wednesday.

I was 52 "Winters Old" before I relocated from Massachusetts to the Tropics. That mind you was (Southern New England)! Wearing Tee Shirts, Sandals and Shorts year round for me is worth putting up with anything and everything. Believe me we do! I`m of firm belief that Ice belongs only in a Cocktail Glass! I`d rather deal with a Japanese Horror Movie like, "The Giant Cockroach That attacked Miami" that actually came to life then go back to coping with "Old Man Winter". Figure with warm/hot weather all the time, Fuel Economy with the Ford C-MAX should be pretty good down here. Battery Life, not so much.

• 4 weeks later...

Temperature is a big factor with any hybrid. In the new Ford hybrids it seems that if you take your MPGs at 60 degrees as the baseline you lose 2 MPG for every 10 degree drop in temperature. We bought our Fusion Hybrid in December and now that the weather has warmed we have found this pattern to be true. When the temps averaged 10 degrees we saw about 40 MPG compared to 50 MPG average at 60 degrees. Peak MPGs will come at the warmest temp you drive without using AC. Our last tank was over 55 MPG with most days between 60 & 80 degrees.

I love my C-Max Energi. 170mpg so far. I sold my 2010 Prius to my son. I did not want to let it get out of the family since it was such a good vehicle. MPG is related to weather and driving. My prius would drop from around 50 mpg to 45 mpg during the winter. A lot of cold weather driving with the headlights on would use a lot of the battery power and it would take a good portion of the trip for the ICE to heat up the cabin and go into hybrid mode. I expect to be able to pre-heat the Energi while plugged in at home or at work before I drive off. I expect the same for cooling this summer. I do have a problem with how MPGe is figured. I pay 6.5 cents per kw at home and 9 cents at work. Much less than $4.20 per gallon. I also have 78 solar panels at home. 18.72 kw of power, so some of the power at home is not off the grid.

I really like the Fusion Energi as well. I can get in and out of the C-Max easier than the Fusion though. Same thing with the Tesla model S, but I would not spend what they are asking for one anyway. The C-Max Energi is perfect for me and fun to drive. I purchased mud flaps and did tint all the way around, but not the sunroof. Looks good with the White Platinum paint.