2014 Honda Accord

meyeste

So it seems to me Honda just dealt the Fusion a 1-2-3 combo that is fairly serious; their Accord hybrid's mpg numbers appear to be achievable without hyper-miling, a V-6 that bests the 2.0 EB, and their plugin hybrid ups the ante even further.

• Like 2

Hybrids aside, the real sleeper in this segment is the Mazda 6. Doesnt the Honda use CVT transmissions now?

http://www.autoguide.com/car-comparisons/2013-ford-fusion-vs-2014-mazda6-2611.html

I agree chevys! Mazda6 is definitely the driving enthusiasts' choice among midsize sedans. The SKYACTIV features work very well - Consumer Reports achieved an impressive 44 mpg highway with their 2014 Mazda 6 Sport 6AT plus sprightly acceleration.

4-cylinder Accords offer either a 6-speed manual or CVT (CVT only for the Hybrid and PHEV); V6 versions use traditional 6-speed automatic. I think it is still possible to pair the 6-speed manual and V6 engine in the Accord Coupe.

Both cars are excellent. If Accord and Mazda6 were the only two midsize sedans/coupes on the market, just about everything car shoppers in that segment could ask for would still be covered.

If Accord and Mazda6 were the only two midsize sedans/coupes on the market, just about everything car shoppers in that segment could ask for would still be covered.

Unfortunately for Mazda, everyone would end up in the Accord or a non midsize sedan instead. They can't buy a customer these days, and I think the new Mazda6 is pretty sharp. They lost a lot of people with the previous design though.

• Like 1

Hate to say it, but this (Accord) may be our next car. Looking at the 2014 Fusion, they are NOT offering a V6. The Accord has the beefy V6 and crushes the 2.0EB in MPG (real world driving) and speed (5.6sec 0-60, 14.0 @101.4 per Motor Trend) . Best of both worlds. Wake up Ford :sos: . Yeah, not digging the Mazda6. Main reason is only the 2.5L being offered.

Edited by Hydro
  • Like 1

Hate to say it, but this (Accord) may be our next car. Looking at the 2014 Fusion, they are NOT offering a V6. The Accord has the beefy V6 and crushes the 2.0EB in MPG (real world driving) and speed (5.6sec 0-60, 14.0 @101.4 per Motor Trend) . Best of both worlds. Wake up Ford :sos: . Yeah, not digging the Mazda6. Main reason is only the 2.5L being offered.

Ford had sound reasoning for not offering a V6 in the Fusion:

1 -- it was low take in the first place.

2 -- it seems likely they will launch an ST variant later, either V6 or EB with more power.

After seeing them and reading reviews, the Accord appears to be a dang good vehicle. This Accord offers styling on par with the Fusion IMO (minus the plug-in versions grille), more interior room and V6. Heck, the interior looks better than the Fusion interior as well. Which all this is odd for me, as I've hated practically every Honda made after since the mid-90s. Last Honda I liked was the Civic redesign in 1992.

As for the new Mazda 6, I just do not like the style, simply not appealing to me. But from reviews, the driving dynamics seem to be impressive.

• Like 1

After seeing them and reading reviews, the Accord appears to be a dang good vehicle. This Accord offers styling on par with the Fusion IMO (minus the plug-in versions grille), more interior room and V6.

Are you blind? I'd hope the Accord has more interior room...it is classified as a fullsized car due to its interior...

Are you blind? I'd hope the Accord has more interior room...it is classified as a fullsized car due to its interior...

Actually the Accord is considered a mid-size car, but thanks for checking. By all exterior dimensions, the Fusion appears to be the larger vehicle.

Fusion is 191.7" in length to the Accords 191.4"

Fusion is 72.9" wide to the Accords 72.8"

Fusion is 58.1" tall to the Accords 57.7"

Fusion is 112.2" wheelbase to the Accords 109.3"

Fusion is heavier in all trim levels than the Accord too, except the Accord V6 model.

Edited by V8-X

The Accord is a fine sled. It's so fine, Acura dealers wish they had them.

Ironically, back in the day, senior Honda execs did not want to put a V-6 in the Accord, as they felt a 4 offered enough power, and it was only after Toyota and Nissan offered V-6's, along with the V-6 Taurus, that Honda followed suit, and America learned the joys of servicing the back cylinder bank of vehicles other than minivans. Things like broken exhaust manifold studs. :)

The Accord is a fine sled. It's so fine, Acura dealers wish they had them.

So true! Indeed, the new Acura RLX (in front wheel drive configurations) isn't notably superior to a 2013 Accord Touring V6 sedan despite the Acura's significantly higher price.

I'd hope the Accord has more interior room...it is classified as a fullsized car due to its interior...

V8-X is correct. While the 2013 Accord sedan's interior is quite spacious, it misses the cutoff for EPA's 'large' or full size classification of 120 ft.3 (passenger + cargo volume) by 1 cubic foot. Total interior and cargo volume for LX and Sport models is 119 ft.3 The figure for EX-L and Touring sedans drops to 116.3 ft.3 due to the moonroof and trunk mounted subwoofer.