What change do you want for the Ford Fusion?

taylorjd

Would love to see MFT get the boot. Fusion needs an app based touch screen control with a more responsive touch screen. Less onscreen button clutter. Give us both android and iPhone screen mirroring and control. Tap the vehicle microphone into the phone connection and give us native voice control. Give me the choice of any phone maps app (apple, google, etc) navigation over built in navigation. True upgradable choice over locked in features.

While this idea sounds great on paper, it becomes nearly impossible to actually implement for any number of reasons. Automakers would not want to be at the mercy of third party tech to handle such integrated controls. What if you leave your phone somewhere? What if the battery dies? Does the touch screen then just become a dead space? There needs to be a native interface of some sort. MFT needs improvement, and boy, has it already improved from when it launched, but it's inevitable that we will see even more improvements as time passes. However, I don't think a "bring-your-own-interface" setup will be coming to any automaker anytime soon.

• Like 3

Make the key separate, I would risk leaving that at home to carry less :)

All great until the battery in your fob dies on you. Plus the key is used to do things like eneble/disable the child locks and does the locking glove box on equipped models.

The card-in-wallet concept becomes infinitely more inconvenient as well if you want to use, say, the remote power liftgate or remote start. People still bring keys with them everywhere anyway for their house, work, mailbox, etc. Just streamline the fob a little more so it has less bulk and I'd be fine.

The only complaint I have about the fob really is that I find myself accidentally hitting the buttons on it when it's in my pocket and I lean against something.

Edited by NickF1011
  • Like 1

Fully agree with Taylor and Camride's comments. An AWD hybrid would be great.

It's just nuts that Ford doesn't have HIDs or LED headlights on the Titanium Fusion. According to a post on Autoblog the new Corolla is going to have an LED headlight option. Ford is behind the curve on this one, and if they are doing to allow differentiation with Lincoln they are on the wrong path.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/06/04/2014-toyota-corolla-coming-thursday-now-with-led-headlamps/

• Like 2

Would sign on for that MINUS the Audi copy cat lights.

They don't have to be Audi copy-cats. I think the LED running lights the Mustang has are different enough and still look good. Although I'd honestly be happy with well executed Audi copy-cats, because I love Audi's and I love their LED running lights. I would have gotten an Audi if I had let myself spend more money on a new car. I came from a 2001 Audi A4 and I really enjoyed that car.

They don't have to be Audi copy-cats. I think the LED running lights the Mustang has are different enough and still look good. Although I'd honestly be happy with well executed Audi copy-cats, because I love Audi's and I love their LED running lights. I would have gotten an Audi if I had let myself spend more money on a new car. I came from a 2001 Audi A4 and I really enjoyed that car.

There are a lot of awful looking ones. That why I would rather it just not be an option than get stuck with something I don't prefer/like. I am curious how the Fusion marketing got it all the way through seeing as most other cars of its class seem to have a version of it in some form or another. I guess I matched marketing in this area for a change...lol.

I'm guessing the Escape and Kuga utilize the same HID setups, whereas I don't think the Mondeo's HID headlight cluster is DOT-legal for some reason. Ford likely didn't want to design a third headlight cluster for the Fusion/Mondeo. Of course, they should have just designed the Mondeo one to be DOT-compliant in the first place. :shrug:

The park assist is almost useless to me for parallel parking. You have to pull up in front of the car that you will park behind. In traffic, the car behind you typically gets up on your rear bumper by that point, blocking you from backing up so far. I usually end up just parking manually, especially in heavy traffic. It needs improvement. As is, it is the one feature I bought that I wish I had skipped.

Huh? You have to pull up in front of the car that you will park behind every time you parallel park even if you do it manually. This makes no sense.

akirby, No, you don't pull up in front of the car that you will park behind when parallel parking. What I am saying is, the park assist lines up your rear bumper to the front bumper of the car you are parking behind. Park Assist passes the car you will park behind. When I parallel park manually, I align my c pillar to the rear bumper of the car that I am parking behind, turn the wheel fully in, turn the wheel the other way and I am in. The difference is pulling in FRONT of the car you are parking behind (park assist) versus pulling up NEXT TO the car you are parking behind (manually) With park assist in traffic, the car following has often blocked the space I want to pull into before park assist can back up the full length of the car in front and turn in.

Do you have park assist? Have you used it?

My dealer agrees with me on this.

• Like 1

While this idea sounds great on paper, it becomes nearly impossible to actually implement for any number of reasons. Automakers would not want to be at the mercy of third party tech to handle such integrated controls. What if you leave your phone somewhere? What if the battery dies? Does the touch screen then just become a dead space? There needs to be a native interface of some sort. MFT needs improvement, and boy, has it already improved from when it launched, but it's inevitable that we will see even more improvements as time passes. However, I don't think a "bring-your-own-interface" setup will be coming to any automaker anytime soon.

Don't mean to say phone should be able to completely replace the native. Just want better mirroring. Also was just thinking I like the Chevy MyLink that has won awards for its app based interface, as opposed to MFT which has been criticised over many versions.

akirby, No, you don't pull up in front of the car that you will park behind when parallel parking. What I am saying is, the park assist lines up your rear bumper to the front bumper of the car you are parking behind. Park Assist passes the car you will park behind. When I parallel park manually, I align my c pillar to the rear bumper of the car that I am parking behind, turn the wheel fully in, turn the wheel the other way and I am in. The difference is pulling in FRONT of the car you are parking behind (park assist) versus pulling up NEXT TO the car you are parking behind (manually) With park assist in traffic, the car following has often blocked the space I want to pull into before park assist can back up the full length of the car in front and turn in.

Do you have park assist? Have you used it?

My dealer agrees with me on this.

Ok, I see what you're saying now. Do you put your blinker on? That should help but then again most idiots can barely see there's a car in front of them much less figure out they're trying to parallel park.

I've only had to parallel park twice in the last 10 years so no - I don't have it nor do I need it.

• Like 1

akirby - Yes sir, I use the turn signal - and tap the brake lights a lot to let the cars behind me know that I'm parallel parking. With park assist you use the turn signal to let the system know if you are parking on the left or right, in the event of a one-way street. I live in the city, not downtown, but in an area where parallel parking is something I do a few times a week. I thought the park assist would help in those situations where there is a lot of traffic, it is hard to spot a space and you want to zip into the space as fast as possible. So far I'm finding it easier to just park it manually. If I'm on a street that isn't busy it works great, but then there is little point to it.

At least its nice to know there is still a use for a driver.

.......... With park assist you use the turn signal to let the system know if you are parking on the left or right, in the event of a one-way street. ........................

I did not know that, thanks for the tip. Not that I use it much :) but I'd agree, it's faster than most anyone could hope to be. I seek out places where I can use it - still amazed by how accurate it is.

Don't mean to say phone should be able to completely replace the native. Just want better mirroring. Also was just thinking I like the Chevy MyLink that has won awards for its app based interface, as opposed to MFT which has been criticised over many versions.

Well I'd prefer Ford not copy anything Gubmint Motors does. It could use some improving but overall it's not that bad once you get used to it. Far better in some respects than my wife's Hyundai - she has one screen, flipping between them is a bit of a PITA (it's better to see some of all 4). I think my favorite is having the nav on the left drivers screen while the main screen has entertainment. Is it perfect? Nah, but I've seen worse.

......... Get rid of the "haptic" "touch sensitive" climate control buttons and use real buttons and dials. Use a rotary-switch type control for the moonroof.

No, no, and f*** NO. Rotary switch for the moonroof is about the dumbest thing ever done. I lived with one of those for a few years - they SUCK. Was that one click or two? Oops, rotated more than one. Not to mention you can't see where the dial is pointed (it would require a massive tilt) Directional buttons okay, rotary? No, no, hell no.

I'm fine with no buttons, fewer places for crap to collect.

Well they need something on the Mustang...............given it's overall design is from the 12th century :hysterical: Personally I don't really care, the DOT limits the output of the lights so the type matters not. Now if indeed it's true replacement requires a bumper removal.......my tune might change.

Would like the 5 door - trunk entry sucks big time. A few other minor changes, but nothings perfect.

Edited by Bailey151
  • Like 1

3M makes a spray-on clear plastic coating to protect paint. I'd like to see something like that at least on the front part of the car FROM THE FACTORY.

It's a totally self-serving request based on my somewhat extreme current situation: I have a 200 mile round trip commute for work. I drove my 2.0T SE off the lot 3/30/13 & already have 10,200 miles, and the front end of my car definitely shows that I log a ton of highway miles, with all the high velocity rocks, gravel, sand, bugs it absorbs.

I've considered having a body shop re-paint the front & then apply some clear plastic coating (like the 3M product), but more than just that expense would be a rental for several days as I'd think it'd need time to cure before being driveable.

Well Bailey, you don't have much to say.....so that 241 posts is really like 400 :) Got it all in on one post, Thanks for the post :)

:hysterical: Well maybe someday I'll hit those really big numbers :hysterical:

Longer Driver's side front floor-mat. Seriously it could be several inches longer BEFORE it even reaches the gas pedal.

We can all thank Toyota's failed engineering for that one...........blame the floormats.....um, sure. Hit for for ya toyota - everyone who uses drive by wire puts in a brake overide....brakes on & gas cuts. Was that so tough?

Not bad enough they're the size of a dime but the all weather ones have a warning stamped in "DO NOT INSTALL OVER EXISTING FLOOR MATS".............yeah, that looks nice :doh:

Edited by Bailey151

Wow. I had no idea that was how the Active Park Assist worked. I'm glad I didn't get it.

I'd like to see the trunk lid open a bit more. It doesn't give much clearance for noggins when trying to load the trunk.

I'd also like the touch screen to be capacitive, instead of resistive. The touch has to be much too firm for my tastes, leaving heavier finger smudges than necessary. Also, a capacitive screen would allow for multi touch, making the navigation zoom much easier. (you could pinch the screen like your phone)

• Like 3