Ford to update hybrids for better fuel economy.

I didn't realize this. Am I the only one that finds it stupid they don't run the A/C?

They also didn't have a cold-weather component before 2008.

And, FWIW, maybe 50% of the country, population-wise, lives where the A/C is a 4-5 month-per-year item.

While it should certainly be used for more than 596 seconds of a 1-1/2 hour test, it shouldn't be used in every aspect of the test. At least not if you're aiming for a reasonable approximation of annual average fuel economy.

I really don't think these changes were 'accelerated'....If anything, I would argue that people at Ford were probably pushing to have this configuration as part of the original spec, but more conservative interpretations of capability prevailed.

As with any business and/or bureaucracy, compromises have to happen to make H-Hour. It's not surprising if that was the case.

• Like 1

This article thankfully satisfies me that Ford did not game the EPA tests and supports Richard's conclusions.

http://www.freep.com/article/20130716/BUSINESS0102/307160116/ford-hybrids-c-max-fusion-lincoln-mkz

Here, Raj Nair states that the EPA sticker is not going to change after these hybrid updates. Good news although I wish he would have given us a general idea of the effect these changes are going to have on mpgs.

And, FWIW, maybe 50% of the country, population-wise, lives where the A/C is a 4-5 month-per-year item.

I think your percentage might be off a bit more then that...you have to figure that any point it hits higher then 80 degrees or so is when you truly need AC in a car...I'm thinking since I got my SHO in April (when it was in the 40s or so) I haven't had to use the AC every day till the middle of last month...and hopefully by September or so I won't be needing it again.

I don't think there have been any complaints regarding energi hybrids, they do make up a much smaller percentage of buyers

and having lower fuel economy ratings, they do not suffer the variability in fuel economy of the basic Ford hybrid either

The main change seems to be that pure EV operation will now be up to 85mph so real life MPG should see an improvement, especially if the commute is primarily at freeway speed. None of the software changes will seem to affect the city MPG that much.

This adjustment should affect city MPG

• Shortening engine warm-up time by up to 50 percent to enable electric-only driving and engine shutdown at stops sooner after cold starts

I wonder if Mullaly made these kinds of adjustments to the Dreamliner to improve fuel economy before he left?

I'm getting 45MPG on my third tank, I think I'll hold off on the upgrade until lots of other people have had a chance to test it out...

I've always thought San Diego is the perfect place to own a hybrid. Will be interesting to see what your MPGs look like in 6 mo.

By the way, our C-Max is Blue Candy as well...have yet to see another one on the road here in northeast IN.

The Freep article notes that this update doesn't apply to the Energi models.

Ah, I reread it and they called it plug in version and not Energi, which I missed.

Except for the first item about running up to 85 on battery, why wouldn't the other items help an Energi version?

Bigger batteries, heavier weight mean energi's fuel economy figures are already lower at 41 mpg.

So maybe those figures are much more repeatable in the energis and not as important given

the cars ability to run up to 20 miles on the batteries...

I am trying to find out if this was built into our car, when it was built on 7/19. I have heard from one Ford rep person that yes, it should be. I have heard from another that they didn't know, and to ask the dealer. Ford service twitter also told me to ask the dealer.

I sent the dealer, sales manager, an email on Friday to ask him. He said he had no idea about the update. Even though it had been in the news for a couple days prior. Said he would check with service manager and get back to me, still no answer. I asked Ford service twitter again yesterday, they said to ask the dealer. They said the dealer would have the most up to date info. I explained to Ford service twitter, a few times, that my dealer has told me they know nothing of this update. I told the twitter person that my info is more up to date than the dealers, and all I have done is read it in the news.

So as of now I don't know if it will have the update or not, and neither does anybody at Ford.

I am trying to find out if this was built into our car, when it was built on 7/19. I have heard from one Ford rep person that yes, it should be. I have heard from another that they didn't know, and to ask the dealer. Ford service twitter also told me to ask the dealer.

I sent the dealer, sales manager, an email on Friday to ask him. He said he had no idea about the update. Even though it had been in the news for a couple days prior. Said he would check with service manager and get back to me, still no answer. I asked Ford service twitter again yesterday, they said to ask the dealer. They said the dealer would have the most up to date info. I explained to Ford service twitter, a few times, that my dealer has told me they know nothing of this update. I told the twitter person that my info is more up to date than the dealers, and all I have done is read it in the news.

So as of now I don't know if it will have the update or not, and neither does anybody at Ford.

If its any consolation, I got a call from a customer a few days ago and our service drive had yet to hear of it, I did manage to pull a dealer bulletin which stated :when the upfdate becomes avail" which leads me to beleive it hasnt been released YET....at least at the dealer level.

I don't really blame the dealer for not knowing. But I would think that Ford would have given advance notice of it in the field, before just dropping a bomb.

not only that, C-maxs sans sunroof are on hold right now....cant be sold.....

DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD:

Advance Notice - Compliance Recall 13C02: Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX Vehicles Built without a Panorama Roof - Headliner Head Impact Protection

Edited by Deanh

not only that, C-maxs sans sunroof are on hold right now....cant be sold.....

DEMONSTRATION / DELIVERY HOLD:

Advance Notice - Compliance Recall 13C02: Certain 2013 Model Year C-MAX Vehicles Built without a Panorama Roof - Headliner Head Impact Protection

I have the sunroof. It was just built on 7/19. I am awaiting shipment. Just wish I could track it.

I`m wary of certain "improvement" updates. I pre-ordered my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback in early Mar of 2010 and took delivery July 19, 2010. I ordered the optional Power Moonroof which was scheduled for (late availability) yet arrived "before" other Fiesta`s ordered at the same time (without) the Power Moonroof Option. Sorry, I digress. Several months after delivery, much was said of complaints of the new 6 speed duel clutch automatic transmission that at certain low speeds and rpm`s stuttered a bit and wasn`t very smooth. This Vehicle from Day 1 achieved 33-35 mpg city and 41-43 mpg highway with A/C always on! No Super Fuel Efficiency Package either. Dealership said that there was a "software" patch to help (smooth) out the automatic transmission issues. Warned, it was a one way fix. The (patch) correction once made could not be defaulted to its original settings. With the Fuel Economy and no mechanical issues to date, 36 months and 31K driven later, I`ve left everything to its original parameters and have instructed the Service Department to simply change the oil and filters, rotate tires, and do (nothing) else. If I currently owned a C-MAX Hybrid I`d only have it (updated) if the Fuel Economy was truly disappointing and I could`nt figure any other reason for its poor numbers.

pm Pioneer, on eof his many fortes....

TY. I don't want to bother anybody. I received an update today. No change awaiting shipment-at plant-eta of tbd.

I`m wary of certain "improvement" updates. I pre-ordered my 2011 Ford Fiesta SE Hatchback in early Mar of 2010 and took delivery July 19, 2010. I ordered the optional Power Moonroof which was scheduled for (late availability) yet arrived "before" other Fiesta`s ordered at the same time (without) the Power Moonroof Option. Sorry, I digress. Several months after delivery, much was said of complaints of the new 6 speed duel clutch automatic transmission that at certain low speeds and rpm`s stuttered a bit and wasn`t very smooth. This Vehicle from Day 1 achieved 33-35 mpg city and 41-43 mpg highway with A/C always on! No Super Fuel Efficiency Package either. Dealership said that there was a "software" patch to help (smooth) out the automatic transmission issues. Warned, it was a one way fix. The (patch) correction once made could not be defaulted to its original settings. With the Fuel Economy and no mechanical issues to date, 36 months and 31K driven later, I`ve left everything to its original parameters and have instructed the Service Department to simply change the oil and filters, rotate tires, and do (nothing) else. If I currently owned a C-MAX Hybrid I`d only have it (updated) if the Fuel Economy was truly disappointing and I could`nt figure any other reason for its poor numbers.

My car was ordered May 9. Built 7/19. I have recently learned, this hybrid update is for vehicles made before 7/8. So it will be built into mine. I understand your concern about a non reversible update. I trust Ford enough to order a car. I will trust them to update it. From what I understand, Ford is going to be making updates like this a more regular occurrence, across the whole line.